after the I do record shopping on your honeymoon

djcoolhandsdjcoolhands 548 Posts
edited June 2005 in Record Collecting
This seems like a timely thread since so many of us have been/are about to be married.I declared months ago, when we were first engaged, to my fiance that I was going to go looking for records one day on my honeymoon. She was fine with it and agreed to this understanding like she does that I do those sorts of things, it is just part of who I've become. Then my stepmother got wind of my plan and got my fiance all ruffled about it. Eventually I got the plan back on track by agreeing to let her go to an all day spa, which I would have been fine with in the first place.What have some of the rest of you done/planning to do? Am I being unresonable?weigh in.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    um, this is your honeymoon, dude

more power for you to try to schedule some digging but damn

THIS IS YOUR

HONEYMOON

saying

Compromise and be cool. I'm re-reading your post now and you did plan this way in advance. Yeah, if you get it out of the way I think you'll have a better experience if you don't have vinyl on the mind.

I am not an expert, just throwing in my 2 cents.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Dude that's just dumb. Give up the records for a couple days. Your lucky someone would even marry a record nerd.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Dude that's just dumb. Give up the records for a couple days. Your lucky someone would even marry a record nerd.

thanks, this is my kneejerk response

best not to piss off the in-laws too, but I guess that's inevitable

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    That's the way to do it. I would want to get some digging time if it's in another country or around some nice shops.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    all i'm saying is don't pull a george castanza and bring your hoagie (replace hoagie with vinyl) in bed with you.

hollar.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Not a good look at all...

What's next?

Record shopping on your anniversary
    DJ gig while she's giving birth
    Swap Meet during your son's baseball game

Think about it...

family>friends>music

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Ohhh yeah if it's an hour it's cool but not too much digging then it's too much.

best not to piss of the in-laws too, but I guess that's inevitable

Yea, that's the kind of thing they would never forget. "Remeber when he ruined the honey moom with his record shopping? Who listens to records anyhow? She should have married that nice doctor."

Plus, if you piss off your wife on your honeymoon you will be paying for it for the rest of your short lived marriage. Plus, she won't even tell you that's what your being punished for, it will just happen.

• naw man eff that. put your foot down. You give in on this is watch your diggin' days dwindle down to a few times a year. You might never get a chance to dig wherever it is you're going. Take her with you. Invite her into your audiophile world. If you don't, next thing you know your crib will be smelling like pouperry, and you'll have pictures of angels and flowers and butterflies everywhere. You'll be the dude in the mall holding her purse on the day you usually go diggin'. I'm telling you man women will try to turn your life into a big-ass game of Barbie & Ken if you let them.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

best not to piss of the in-laws too, but I guess that's inevitable

Yea, that's the kind of thing they would never forget. "Remeber when he ruined the honey moom with his record shopping? Who listens to records anyhow? She should have married that nice doctor."

Plus, if you piss off your wife on your honeymoon you will be paying for it for the rest of your short lived marriage. Plus, she won't even tell you that's what your being punished for, it will just happen.

If she's not down with a little record shopping, don't marry her.

right. words from the wise. don't make this mistake, because shit will come back and haunt you.

then, the only thing you'll be inserting your wang into is the hole of your new vinyl.

ayo!!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    You might never get a chance to dig wherever it is you're going.

But I guess you will get a chance at a honeymoon several times in your life huh?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    at least you didn't sell yer fender rhodes and a bunch of raers to pay cash for a fat diamond, just to break up a couple months later, like i did...

what? you might as well shoot yourself now dawg!

alright, maybe thats a bit drastic. just slap yourself a couple times.

i'm actually thinking about selling my minimoog that i just got because poppa needs a new mic and monitors.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

True.

I don't know about the rest of you but I spent my honeymoon in bed, and on the floor, the sofa....

I'm telling you man women will try to turn your life into a big-ass game of Barbie & Ken if you let them.

HA HA HA HA!!!! And men will turn you life into a 24 hour superbowl / jamsession.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This seems like a timely thread since so many of us have been/are about to be married.

I declared months ago, when we were first engaged, to my fiance that I was going to go looking for records one day on my honeymoon. She was fine with it and agreed to this understanding like she does that I do those sorts of things, it is just part of who I've become. Then my stepmother got wind of my plan and got my fiance all ruffled about it. Eventually I got the plan back on track by agreeing to let her go to an all day spa, which I would have been fine with in the first place.

What have some of the rest of you done/planning to do? Am I being unresonable?

weigh in.

D**e, I hear what other folks are saying to you, and the points have merit....but why all the fuss? A honeymoon for a couple of naive kids may just be a 'romantic journey' with nothing but sack time, but for those of us who are a bit older, have been with people for a minute, know their partner, doing things you are interested in on a vacation(honeymoon or not) should be only natural.

Granted, I am not talking about turning it into a record digging trip, but I don't think that's your suggestion either. You are talking about doing some shopping on your honeymoon. THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE DO, folks! Y'all jumping on him like he's an ass for even considering it, or that his fiancee is such a delicate flower that she is somehow surprised by his desire to dig a little.

Let Ma Dukes kick her fuss, work it out with the wife, and keep it to major spots or Antique shops. And be swift about it.

I hit spots in Las Vegas THE DAY OF my wedding. What was I gonna do while she got ready? Some dudes golf, some dudes go for a long drive, I got my buddies who had never been to Vegas and we all drove around and hit some spots I had been wanting to hit. My best man's wife collects 45s so she came with and we had a great time. I guarantee that none of us will ever forget that morning. Later in the week while in the Bay, we stopped by Groove Merchant (briefly) and met Peaceful Rotation, all while on the honeymoon.

BE YOURSELF, but put her first, and everyone should be happy.

Oh, and now you know....keep shit on the low from in-laws....makes life easier.

what? you might as well shoot yourself now dawg!
    naw, man. you should see this fruity-ass ring [/b] i got to keep instead of that awesome shit i spent years and years collecting.

Go dig.
    I spent the morning of my wedding at the record show with two of my best friends. Helped me relax.

I also dug on my honeymoon. Shit, it was a week long and I was in another city. My lady encouraged it (why whouldn't she? she knows I'm best when I'm being myself).

Don't let the stepmom start dictating what you can and can't do on your own time. She doesn't enter into it.

congrats on the nuptuals.

Go dig.
    I spent the morning of my wedding at the record show with two of my best friends. Helped me relax.

I also dug on my honeymoon. Shit, it was a week long and I was in another city. My lady encouraged it (why whouldn't she? she knows I'm best when I'm being myself).

Don't let the stepmom start dictating what you can and can't do on your own time. She doesn't enter into it.

It's one thing when your wife encouraged it. But if you just tell her your going to do it your asking for trouble. I agree with the not letting the in-laws dictate stuff. But chances are the wife to be was just playing nice and once she thought about it she really was annoyed.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Damn, I had to come out of hibernation for this one. Good topic BTW... I say it all comes down to your relationship. Some are more laid back while others are complete opposite, but if it works for you two then by all means - dig. I'd say go for it (f*ck it!!!) cuz its not like you guys are going to be completely romancing each other the entire time - do you honostly stay in your room the whole time? (and if you do - whats the secret!!!!!!?????? JK). But seriously, you go shopping, you see sites, etc, so why not throw in a little diggin... My only thing is you may be wanting to dig for a longer period of time than I would, and if she's ok with you diggin, then I'd say take her with you... Do your homework before you go and find out a couple cool spots to dig and just go there, but I wouldn't make a whole day out of it.

My girl asked me if I wanted to dig on our honeymoon (which will more than likely be in Europe), and I said of course, but my girl will also go with at times - and she even helps me (I just give her a list and she gets them fingers dusty too - its kinda nice!). But I would keep it at a minimum, like one maybe two stores max and thats it. Time wise, I'd say 2 hours max... I think its an even exchange cuz there will be things that your girl will want to do that you won't - let's be real..........

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    if record digging becomes an actual addiction to you than its time to address that, not accomidate it by fucking up the first few days of your marriage

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    if *a*** declared that he would go skateboarding on our honeymoon, what is supposed to be our very special time together, i'd say "what the f*ck?". if he asked if i was ok that he went skateboarding on our honeymoon, because it is our special time together and i don't skateboard, i'd say "sure, and i'll check some records while you're at it and make sure you wear sunscreen, babe".

• whatwhatwhatwhat 89 Posts
    I don't see the big deal with going record shopping on your honeymoon.
    My wife and I took our honeymoon in Barcelona - highly recommended, BTW.
    We were there for two weeks so of course we're gonna take an afternoon to go to records. We both picked up some raers at Wah Wah.
    It's not like we went record shopping as soon as we got into town, or went digging every day, but we both love music, so why not check out some local stores.

• thanks to everyone weighing on on every side. And thanks for the well wishes.

trust me i'm a grounded dude with my priorities straight and whatnaught. I guess i may have framed the question so that it looked more like a conflict than it really was between my wife-to-be and myself. i was more interested in detached opinions than judgments about my decisions and character. and, yes, i am lucky that she is wants to marry a record nerd. she is lucky i want to marry her too. i will not be 'tagging dat azz' 24-7 on the trip, none of you have or will do that on your honeymoon. if that were the case, why go anywhere at all?

i will be going to Costa Rica for 9 days and i will spend an afternoon by myself. my fiance used to dig, but she refuses now. i'm cool with that. we met when we were both djs doing college radio. she is getting her phd in art history and her masters thesis focused on lamont young, marianne zazeela, and the theatre of eternal music which represented the some of the first multimedia mixing of music and visual art in the early 60s. all that is to say she can appreciate my love of old music and records and encourages me to keep digging.

on the off chance you know spots or dealers in Costa Rica, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out in some way in return.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Dont know if any of you remember or not. But a few years ago I was notorious for ditching girlfriends to go record shopping (even on european vacations). I even spent money on a $250 record that was supposed to be used on my girlfriends plane ticket. Anyway, at the time, I just thought it was my enthusiasm for the game, but no, it was being fucked up and inconsiderate. By soulstruts reaction in calling me out (similar like this thread), I learned the error of my ways. Now I'm much happier about my outlook in balancing girls and records. And dude, when it comes to honey moons, like the wedding, its THEIR day. Women weigh in weddings, honeymoons, anniversaries, births, etc waay more than us dudes do. Give them the memories that they want.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I hit up a record fair on the morning of my wedding and also got some dig time in on my honeymoon.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    I even spent money on a $250 record that was supposed to be used on my girlfriends plane ticket. A

What record was it?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I even spent money on a $250 record that was supposed to be used on my girlfriends plane ticket. A

What record was it?

spot and the blotters 'circulating'