Top Soundtrack - Purple Rain

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Prince's Purple Rain reigns over movie soundtrack listCBC News Purple Rain, the film that starred hit recording artist Prince at the height of his 1980s-era success, has topped a list of Hollywood's greatest movie soundtracks compiled by the editors of Vanity Fair.Purple Rain starred Prince as a troubled but talented young performer struggling with personal issues with his family and his love life. The magazine revealed the top 10 soundtracks Wednesday that made the cut out of 50 albums that will be explored in a one-off publication entitled Movies Rock.The special issue, featuring actor Bill Murray's impression of rock and roll icon Elvis Presley on the cover, will be published in November. Issues will be sent to subscribers of 14 titles published by Vanity Fair's publisher Cond?? Nast.Editors described Prince's 1984 Purple Rain soundtrack as a combination of "funk, R&B, pop, metal and even psychedelia" that became "a sound that defined the '80s," according to a Reuters report.However, while hailing the list's soundtracks, the editors also acknowledged the cinematic faults of several of their selections.The editors described Purple Rain, which netted Prince an Oscar, a Grammy and other trophies, as "perhaps the best badly acted film ever."Along the same lines, in the write-up of the eighth-ranked Saturday Night Fever, the magazine called the disco-era film's soundtrack "required listening," while at the same time poking fun at the iconic white suit star John Travolta dons in the movie.The magazine's list of the top 10 greatest soundtracks is:Purple Rain A Hard Day's Night The Harder They Come Pulp Fiction The Graduate Superfly Trainspotting Saturday Night Fever American Graffiti The Big Chill In conjunction with the special magazine issue, Cond?? Nast Media Group will host a concert featuring artists such as Elton John, Carrie Underwood and Beyonc?? Knowles performing famous music from the movies."We wanted to create an extraordinary show that would pay tribute to the indelible impact music has on film," Cond?? Nast Media Group president Richard Beckman said in a statement issued Wednesday.Others set to participate include Mary J. Blige, John Legend, Fergie, Jennifer Hudson and John Williams.The Movies Rock concert will take place Dec. 2 in Los Angeles at the Kodak Theatre, home of the Academy Awards. The event will be broadcast as a two-hour television special on CBS on Dec. 7.________________________My cringing muscles are poised in anticipation of Elton John doing a cover of Johnny Too Bad. No.

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Not a single film known for its instrumental score?

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Superfly over Shaft? Dude got an Oscar for Shaft! WTF?!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i agree about the scores..should have been either another category or something else

this focuses on the album medium too much (less related to cinema imo)

however as a child trainspotting and pulp fiction were bumped beyond belief

that being said

Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock

Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock
    Movies Rock

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    This should have been spilt out between original soundtrack and soundtracks that are just a bunch of songs comped like the Big Chill. Of course every one liked that SNDTRK, it was a bunch of huge hits all in one. I'm fine with scores not really making it, but there is OST and then CST.

I don't think pulp fiction had an original stuff either, did it?? Hell I'd go with Kill Bill before Pulp at least GZA did some stuff for that.

• Superfly over Shaft? Dude got an Oscar for Shaft! WTF?!

uhhh yeah but have you actually listened to those two soundtracks?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Just because you listened to them for the first time last week doesn't give you the right to lord them over others who don't happen to share your newfound opinions on them.

• Superfly over Shaft? Dude got an Oscar for Shaft! WTF?!

Just because you listened to them for the first time last week doesn't give you the right to lord them over others who don't happen to share your newfound opinions on them.

*eyeroll* alright little dude, if you prefer Shaft to Superfly, I am all ears as to why. I'd say it's a pretty clear choice, but if you wanna argue with me for the sake of it, be my guest. (And no "Shaft won an Oscar" is not a good argument for anything.) I'll sign back on in a couple hours after you've written some more dumb shit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    IMO Superfly > Shaft.

Also, I would have to put this up on my TOP TEN:

*eyeroll* alright little dude, if you prefer Shaft to Superfly, I am all ears as to why. I'd say it's a pretty clear choice, but if you wanna argue with me for the sake of it, be my guest. (And no "Shaft won an Oscar" is not a good argument for anything.) I'll sign back on in a couple hours after you've written some more dumb shit.

I'm not contesting Superfly over Shaft. I'm taking issue with your haughty Chad-itudes.

For instance, you really think you carry the weight to call me a "little dude"?

You're like Mugsy trying to dunk on Mutombo in this shit.

This over Superfly though...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm not too mad at the Top Ten, though I find it strange that no Scorsese, Jarmusch or Spike Lee films are on it. I know some folks hate wall-to-wall music in films, but I think all three do it well - well-suited to the story/scene, well-timed, interesting song choices and none of that "here's some sad music, there's a sad part coming!"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• No GREASE? That's racist against white people AND Australians.

No GREASE? That's racist against white people AND Australians.

for this alone!

There are worse things I could do,
    Than go with a boy or two.
    Even though the neighborhood thinks I'm trashy,
    And no good,
    I suppose it could be true,
    But there are worse things I could do.

I could flirt with all the guys,
    Smile at them and bat my eyes.
    Press against them when we dance,
    Make them think they stand a chance,
    Then refuse to see it through.
    That's a thing I'd never do.

I could stay home every night,
    Wait around for Mr. Right.
    Take cold showers every day,
    And throw my life away,
    On a dream that won't come true.

I could hurt someone like me,
    Out of spite or jealousy.
    I dont steal and I dont lie,
    But I can feel and I can cry.
    A fact I'll bet you never knew.
    But to cry in front of you,
    That's the worse thing I could do.

• This is a great album from start to finish.

• This over Superfly though...

• I'm not contesting Superfly over Shaft. I'm taking issue with your haughty Chad-itudes.

lol dude: someone came in talmbout Shaft > Superfly because it won an Oscar.

I suggest judging a soundtrack by actually listening to it.

And to you that's a Chaditude.

whatever main. you can continue to judge soundtracks by whatever benchmark you want: soundscan, bullshit internet polls, whatever K-Ryno says is hot. meanwhile I will compare two soundtracks on their appeal to me as music.

oh and to answer your question:

you really think you carry the weight to call me a "little dude"?

um, in case you haven't noticed, you get clowned by everyone in here . for real, 11-yr old rejects from the Breaks come in here and even get a couple shots off on you before they get banned.

so yeah, I could be carrying exactly ZERO weight and still call you whatever the fuck I want. the answer to your question is yes.

PS thank you for my new location.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Some of these so-called soundtracks are just bullshit compilations.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some of these so-called soundtracks are just bullshit compilations.

Well, no, some of them are actually pretty good compilations. But compilations, rather than soundtracks, is what they are if we're being completely honest. I mean, Tarantino even cannibalises music from other movies for his shit. It's interesting to note how few of those albums actually feature music written specifically for the movie in question, and how the ones that do are the ones that actually stand up as great albums in their own right.

It's interesting to note how few of those albums actually feature music written specifically for the movie in question, and how the ones that do are the ones that actually stand up as great albums in their own right.

=

Top Soundtrack

That's just me and my crazy delusions. I think this list should only include OG OST music AND scores. Not a bunch of dumbass comps. Shit, I'd rather hear Carmina Burana in every movie than some cuntsack's silly mixtape. Or, fuck me, here's an idea...ambient sound.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Too close to call.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I can't say I'd pick Purple Rain as top soundtrack, but its a respectable choice from a magazine like Vanity Fair. I would have thought they'd choose the score to Forrest Gump or something.

• I think that has to be my top 5, in no particular order.

um, in case you haven't noticed, you get clowned by everyone in here . for real, 11-yr old rejects from the Breaks come in here and even get a couple shots off on you before they get banned.

Lil tagalongs like you actually believe your own internet-derived hype.

Like those lil fellas who play Madden and actually believe on far too many levels that they just juked Ray Lewis out of his socks.

PS thank you for my new location.

Do you even raer?

so yeah, I could be carrying exactly ZERO weight and still call you whatever the fuck I want.

Your continued presence and contributions to this board I think could rightly be encapsulated by the following video...

• and fuck everything else....

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    no xanadu, no credibility.

Besides the good ones that were already mentioned, here go some of mines...

I like this a lot, not really my thing otherwise, but it worked so well in the movie and gave it good context...I enjoy it when I pull it out now and then to listen to.

And this, too.

And I am so glad this finally came out...despite the suspicious rights and bad sound quality.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    no xanadu, no credibility.