THIS RECORD RULES!

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited June 2018 in Music Talk
Bob Seger System - Ramblin' Gamblin Man

Only complaint: the second to last song on the second side is TOO SHORT!!!

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've heard a bunch of times that I need to peep that record, and that it's great. Looks dope as hell.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

That's cool - it was just instrumental filler that wasn't going nowhere, anyway!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

???

what is it?

Bassie, is it you who posted (week-end find) a record of a gospel band covering songs of Dylan, around a month ago?
    If so, what is it? I mean what's the name of the record, the year...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

That's cool - it was just instrumental filler that wasn't going nowhere, anyway!

Oh it's going somewhere! Over my speakers and headphones! I slowed it right down to make it last that much longer and it still smokes.

???

what is it?

Bassie, is it you who posted (week-end find) a record of a gospel band covering songs of Dylan, around a month ago?
    If so, what is it? I mean what's the name of the record, the year...

Yea - It's called Dylan's Gospel by The Brothers and Sisters from 1969. It's quite nice and the stand-out is All Along the Watchtower.

These are the Brothers and Sisters:
    Josephy Green, Andrew Herd, Jesse Kirkland, Chester Pipkin, Billy Storm, Ed Wallace, Fred Willis and Don Wyatt, Shirley Allen, Sherrell Atwood, Ginger Blake, Hazel Carmichael, Merry Clayton, Marjorie Cranford, Oma Drake, Georgette Finchess, Brenda Fitz, Patrice Holloway, Gwen Johnson, Ruby S. Johnson, Gloria Jones, Clydie King, Sherlie Matthews, Barbara Perrault, Julia A. Tilman, Lolietha White, Carolyn Willis and Edna Wright.

I've heard a bunch of times that I need to peep that record, and that it's great. Looks dope as hell.

Yeah, how'd they get away with having the cover model hold on tightly to her naughty bits like that? Back then, album covers got censored and recalled for less!

Seriously, Bob Seger's music kicked major ass back then, and I've always charged that if he'd stopped making records after '77, then his name would be invoked along with the MC 5 and the Stooges. Although he'd had earlier garage-rock singles during the mid-sixties, Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (shown above) was his first full-length album, in about '68 or '69. Ragged Detroit rock & roll that was a long ways away from his later adult-contempo hits "Hollywood Nights" or "Like A Rock." I'm particularly fond of the antiwar anthem "2+2=?" (specially the 45, where somebody overdubbed a power chord over the false ending). And for a major-label LP, I love the way the whole album sounds like it was recorded in somebody's basement!

Now track down the followup LP, Mongrel, which contains the cocky "Lucifer" ("you can call me Lucifer if you think you should...I KNOOOOOOW I'm good!").

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Yea - It's called Dylan's Gospel by The Brothers and Sisters from 1969. It's quite nice and the stand-out is All Along the Watchtower.

These are the Brothers and Sisters:
    Josephy Green, Andrew Herd, Jesse Kirkland, Chester Pipkin, Billy Storm, Ed Wallace, Fred Willis and Don Wyatt, Shirley Allen, Sherrell Atwood, Ginger Blake, Hazel Carmichael, Merry Clayton, Marjorie Cranford, Oma Drake, Georgette Finchess, Brenda Fitz, Patrice Holloway, Gwen Johnson, Ruby S. Johnson, Gloria Jones, Clydie King, Sherlie Matthews, Barbara Perrault, Julia A. Tilman, Lolietha White, Carolyn Willis and Edna Wright.

That's it. Thanks for the infos.
    I knew I had missed someting...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yes, it does indeed RULE.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Forget you ever heard "old time rock and roll" and give this a spin. Solid funky blues rock. There is also one Smokin Ops (???) or something. That's a good one as well. The cover looks like a pack of Lucky Strikes.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

YES!

Forget you ever heard "old time rock and roll" and give this a spin. Solid funky blues rock. There is also one Smokin Ops (???) or something. That's a good one as well. The cover looks like a pack of Lucky Strikes.

You right, it was Smokin' OP's, where he's doing mostly cover versions, along with cool originals like "Jesse James" and (his mid-sixties hit) "Heavy Music" (not a recut, but the original master!).

And his version of "Turn On Your Love Light" is almost as badass as Bobby Bland's!

Seriously, Bob Seger's music kicked major ass back then, and I've always charged that if he'd stopped making records after '77, then his name would be invoked along with the MC 5 and the Stooges. Although he'd had earlier garage-rock singles during the mid-sixties, Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (shown above) was his first full-length album, in about '68 or '69. Ragged Detroit rock & roll that was a long ways away from his later adult-contempo hits "Hollywood Nights" or "Like A Rock."

And I love his voice - it's part of forever associating him with his later cheesepuffs (ie Night Moves), but it is exactly what is required for his earlier dirty driving rock. I think it was Hook-Up that threw up a You Tube version of Ramblin Gamblin Man and it absolutely smokes. Unfortunately I can't do it, but it's worth checking.

Forget you ever heard "old time rock and roll" and give this a spin

Yeah, until I heard this record I'd only ever heard the rock star era Night Moves shit and it totally blew my mind. All his early Capitol stuff that I've heard is real good.

• Only complaint: the second to last song on the second side is TOO SHORT!!!

'Ramblin' Gamblin' Man' is the sheeit....

'Heavy Music' is in this mix and there's a zip file with the individual tracks as well...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I think it was Hook-Up that threw up a You Tube version of Ramblin Gamblin Man and it absolutely smokes. Unfortunately I can't do it, but it's worth checking.

I know what that big white space means! Thank You!

Seriously, Bob Seger's music kicked major ass back then, and I've always charged that if he'd stopped making records after '77, then his name would be invoked along with the MC 5 and the Stooges. Although he'd had earlier garage-rock singles during the mid-sixties, Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (shown above) was his first full-length album, in about '68 or '69. Ragged Detroit rock & roll that was a long ways away from his later adult-contempo hits "Hollywood Nights" or "Like A Rock."

And I love his voice - it's part of forever associating him with his later cheesepuffs (ie Night Moves),

Ha! I think that album was one of his last great moments! "Feel Like A Number" from the next LP was the last time he sounded HONGRY...after that, it was the lame classic-rock staples and he never found his way back, shame...

I think it was Hook-Up that threw up a You Tube version of Ramblin Gamblin Man and it absolutely smokes. Unfortunately I can't do it, but it's worth checking.

What trips me out about that clip is that he's playing organ with one hand and holding the mic with another! As if mike stands weren't invented yet! Somebody (who saw him back then) sez that's what he did live...for a song with no guitar on it (listen closely), "R.G.M." rocks HARD, don't it?

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    why are his other capitol albums so scarce compared to RGM? i see og's and later pressings of it all the time, but never found the others "in the field".

why are his other capitol albums so scarce compared to RGM?

Probably because they totally bombed.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    "R.G.M." rocks HARD, don't it?

Color me little dude, but I have never
    heard of this record. If the rest of it
    is in the same vein as Ramblin' Gamblin' Man,
    then I'm sold.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    he sounded HONGRY...

is that where the "hamburger voice" thing stems from?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Forget you ever heard "old time rock and roll" and give this a spin

Yeah, until I heard this record I'd only ever heard the rock star era Night Moves shit and it totally blew my mind. All his early Capitol stuff that I've heard is real good.

In fact, it's ironic that what he's complaining about in 'old time rock and roll' is what he did himself. "Today's music ain't got the same soul...." indeed!

not in Detroit.

between '69 and '77, he may as well have been a one-hit wonder everywhere else (for "RGM", his only national hit up to then), but Detroit radio (both Top 40 AND album rock) kept playing his newest records like there was no tomorrow.

although in the '80s, capitol actually reissued some of the earlier, pre-'75 albums like RGM, Seven and others, but they havent yet made the transition to CD, which is probably why theyre so scarce now

• This is probably

but has anyone ever sampled the RGM drums???

• Is it me or is the title track only coming thru one speaker, mostly?

not in Detroit.

between '69 and '77, he may as well have been a one-hit wonder everywhere else (for "RGM", his only national hit up to then), but Detroit radio (both Top 40 AND album rock) kept playing his newest records like there was no tomorrow.

Well, elsewhere it's pretty hard to find Noah and and Brand New Morning and that shit. I assumed those albums went straight to the cut-out bin for the most part.

Is it me or is the title track only coming thru one speaker, mostly?

i dont think its coming out of one speaker...but it sure dont sound like stereo. i hear no separation whatsoever...for a studio recording from the late sixties, it does sound kinda primitive (in a good way)

• This is probably

but has anyone ever sampled the RGM drums???

I think the beastie boys did

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

I've heard this courtesy of Bassie and vouch for its excellence.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I've heard this courtesy of Bassie and vouch for its excellence.

lucky boy.