Drew Nice - Soulful House Mix (5/11/01)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I was going through some old CDs tonight and found a few live mixes I did while attending college in Chicago ('99-'03). It was mostly about electronic music for me back in those days. This mix in particular is one of the only house ones I can remember being recorded. I did it at the hommie Dreas??? studio apartment one spring afternoon and I'm not even sure I knew he had pushed the button on it.At this time in my life, I was flying back home to Detroit for special events, DJing with a crew called Syndicate Productions, comprised of a small circle of friends who sought out investors to fund the parties which featured folks like Little Louie Vega, Deep Dish, Funkmaster Flex, Green Velvet (LIVE!), Ron Trent, DJ Dara, Rob Paine, and a slew of other headliners who spun at our parties in warehouses, dilapidated theaters, defunct chop shops, etc. One of my greatest joys was venturing around the space during the parties before my set, exploring the converted, temporary venues that used to have more legitimate meaning and purpose. I???d find old children???s playbills rolled up in back rooms, legal documents carelessly stuffed in filing cabinets, and even stumbled upon a dog???s carcass(!) behind a tarp, laying in a car at the chop shop. I was recruited as a part of the DJ crew while spinning drum and bass, and then moved on to house toward the end of my time with them. As the ???rookie??? in the posse, I remember being paid $200 for an hour set in nothing but singles, which is pretty funny now that I think back on it, but I had to take it anyway I could get it then, you know? Anyway, it's pretty surreal and meditative to listen to these creations many years after their birth and I figured I'd share them with you. The transitions may not all be perfect, but the spirit is in there, you know. I'll post one of my (atmospheric) D & B sets for you all during the winter--the time of year I always felt it accompanied the best. But, for now, the house set has fall written all over it.P.S. - It'd be fruitless asking for a track list. I haven't seen or listened to these particular records since I made this, most likely.Enjoy, Drew Nice - Soulful House Mix (5/11/01) ~45 minutes @ 320

Comments

• drew
    im going to bed and dont got time to listen to this now.i'll checkit tomorrw

but it needs to be said...you the man

peace,t

btw.whatkind of dog carcass?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    downloading now. thank you!!

I miss all those parties in Chi, good times back then.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    2001, huh? That was a good year.

Watch out for the flashing car/Watch out for the red and blue lights

Downloading...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    YAY!!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Wow Drew, had no idea you used to spin this stuff. Listening now, it's not something I'd ordinarily listen to but I'm diggin it. Thanks!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Thans Drew! Downloading now. I'll check this out tomorrow.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    wow Drew, I would have never known you had this whole side to you. You got chambers son!! gonna peep in the morning.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    thanks Drew. this is a good example of me digging something im not too familiar with because i can trust the taste of the selecter. Good is good.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    this is pretty good mang
    thanks for posting

• you got chambers son!!

I gotta hit you with a pasue, homie.

Drewn:

I've always enjoyed your style in music, I'll look forward to this.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I'm going to give this a shot homie...

• haha, damn man! i still have this on my computer too. good times. i can probably name most of these tracks.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    nice up man. ima check this out when i get home. i bet you there are 3 slices from EARTH/Soulfood comps on here.

you find any mad circus tapes? i need me some a that sh************t!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Thanks for this, hoLmes. This mix makes me forget all about those silly pASSwords!

Okay, I'm lying. Why must I cry?!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I've always enjoyed your style in music, I'll look forward to this.