I like common records. Isn't that embarrassing!

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited January 2018 in Record Collecting
One of the smaller minds on here seem to have been dissing this record as "common" or "just a Dilla sample" or similar dumb shit. I just wanted to stand up for this disc, which I would rather have than ten thousand trendy 45's and like Horselmats and whatnot, even if it's not as cool to floss on my myspace page yo. This record has great songs, great production, and on side-b where the songs stretch out, the record gets very much on some "proto-disco" type steelo. That's all, nothing else to say really, except that I think alot of people on here confuse "good music" with "rare records that I saw go for alot of money on popsike" and that's why the internet is gay to me. Go look for a Honus Wagner or something...
TAGGED:

Comments

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    a fave dollar bin joint

• "Your crates aren't deep" eye roll records (both online and real world) that I still love:

These never stray far from the turntable.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Not that I don't agree nor is this an attack on you or your post, but I find it amusing that a big name soul artist apprection thread, 9 out of 10 times, is prefaced with a strongly worded "Fuck a sample and rare record!" tirade.

• I use part of my huge $2000 per-month record allowance to purchse these two records over and over again.

• Not that I don't agree nor is this an attack on you or your post, but I find it amusing that every big name soul artist apprection thread 9 out of 10 times is prefaced with a strongly worded "Fuck a sample and rare record!" tirade.

And I find it amusing that people mock classic records that they have probably never even listened to, while they big up some record they think will cause envy. My record collection does not equal my penis, my penis equals my penis.

• my penis equals my penis.

amen, brother

• a fave dollar bin joint

ive never checked this out...what should i expect?

•  

there's a million. i hate rare records cos i cant afford them.

• i listen to all these A LOT

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i listen to all these A LOT

Yes - a favourite.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    a fave dollar bin joint

I'm curious about that too. I saw that yesterday for $1 and didn't pick it up.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i listen to all these A LOT

a couple of my favourites up there too, love the stillness lp!
    i never judge a record by any other way than how good the playing/music is, i dont and never will give a shit if it is rare or common, if the music is good then i like it, but thats what i am into records for, i also understand the guys that get off more on the "competition" side of records, i still think they are wankers and should stick to collecting postage stamps but i understand where they are coming from, i also dont say either is right or wrong, each to they own.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    definately not the best focus lp, but definately worth $1
    but i am a big TVL fan

• a fave dollar bin joint

Dutch prog yodeling...however, you have never heard yodeling that will make you say "FUCK YES" until you have heard this LP...I like it quite a bit

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I'm a little dude and I completely agree with this post. Almost all my records are common, and if not in Australia, they probably would be in the US.

Still, there is something nice about coming across something that is quite hard to find, but even then, if you don't like the music on it then whats the point of owning it?

Its all about the music for me. Coming across raers is just a nice little bonus that comes with collecting good music, thats all.

• There are more great common records than great raers...people who disagree with this arent into music, just records as penis replacements...I would never, ever trust the musical opinion of someone who owned Lee Moses or the like and didnt own any Curtis, Marvin, Gladys, Etta,Stevie, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, James Brown etc....and surprisingly there are a lot of folks like that.

• I heartily on this post seems to me that you should be into coppin' music cuz u like not because its popular or rare or worth lots of $$...unless you slang 'em or whatever.peace-Aroe

I think alot of people on here confuse "good music" with "rare records that I saw go for alot of money on popsike"

Seriously. When the RlHdz forum went up and I got to hear all these $$$ elusive records folks had been hyping up, I was surprised at how so many were disappointing. I may have even lost an internet friend or two for thinking Boscoe was
    I got the same feeling this past record day to be honest.

I love "I Think You Need Love" off this record.

• This is the Dionne for me

"You Can Have Him" is a song I can listen to a bazillion times and never tire of...amazing arrangement on that one, and Dionne seems to really let loose on it, and Dionne rarely "lets loose"

• I heartily on this post seems to me that you should be into coppin' music cuz u like not because its popular or rare or worth lots of $$...unless you slang 'em or whatever.peace-Aroe
    aroe from dwg?
    whens the philly mix dropping???

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Seriously. When the RlHdz forum went up and I got to hear all these $$$ elusive records folks had been hyping up, I was surprised at how so many were disappointing. I may have even lost an internet friend or two for thinking Boscoe was

One man's tepid terd is another man's treasure

• I run into these quite often and they are all great.

Hooray for common records that rule!

Absolutely, that is not even an argument. I am not saying folks don't truly like the music on rare records or that I haven't spent a lot of money on a single record because I know I won't see it again. But when the same folks keep hyping records based on the rarity and price tag, you begin to see it's not about the music.

• aroe from dwg?
    whens the philly mix dropping???

Naw,Aroe77 from NY, Sbf,Fmr,Pms crew..got fam in Philly thou'..Go Eagles

Absolutely, that is not even an argument. I am not saying folks don't truly like the music on rare records. But when the same folks hyping records based on the rarity and price tag, you begin to see it's not about the music.

Are those the same people that are doing a lot of sales on ebay and set sales on SoulStrut? Don't knock the hustle

• it is fun to find rare records....dont front like yall dont get hyped when you find a $200 joint for 2 bucks. its an archaeological, pull a needle out a haystack, one mans treasure, im salvaging something special, adrenaline rush. i malways amped to find raer. then, if it doesnt moves my bowels instead of moving me, i turn it into greenbacks or other records.

suffice it to say, i still happily buy dollar records
    but dont diss the raer (whether it sucks or not)

oh yeah, i just spent $200 on a raer that i hadnt heard. i always wanted to hear it. heard it, and its not my thing. so im going to sell it. no problemo. stop hating.

Absolutely, that is not even an argument. I am not saying folks don't truly like the music on rare records. But when the same folks hyping records based on the rarity and price tag, you begin to see it's not about the music.

Are those the same people that are doing a lot of sales on ebay and set sales on SoulStrut? Don't knock the hustle

Is that what I was doing?

• it is fun to find rare records....dont front like yall dont get hyped when you find a $200 joint for 2 bucks. its an archaeological, pull a needle out a haystack, one mans treasure, im salvaging something special, adrenaline rush. i malways amped to find raer. then, if it doesnt moves my bowels instead of moving me, i turn it into greenbacks or other records.

suffice it to say, i still happily buy dollar records
    but dont diss the raer (whether it sucks or not)

oh yeah, i just spent $200 on a raer that i hadnt heard. i always wanted to hear it. heard it, and its not my thing. so im going to sell it. no problemo. stop hating.

No hating...you can imagine my glee this weekend when I found 2 raer garage LPs in an antique mall in Terra Haute this past weekend...I love finding raer records, who doesnt? I just think there are some very silly people out there who wont even bother to buy nor even listen to records that are only $5 because the fact they are only $5, so in their minds they arent good and I have met some folks like that.