promotional copy ?

TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Hey folks, sup?Why is it that a lot of records are labeled 'promotional copy not for sale'or sumthing like 'for DJ use only', while clearly they're not! Every GAMM-record that came out up till now (al least the one's I have) have 'promotional, not for sale' printed on the label. I bougth these copies brandnew from a regular store! I'm pretty sure they're not promo copies that are being handed out to promote the record, but the real deal. Is it just some random shit to make the record look cool? Or is it a tax-scheme or sumthing?By the way, I'm new to soulstrut. I'm 31 years old from Amsterdam. I'm a copywriter/producer and a DJ every now and then. oh, and my girl looooves the Sayer thanks for looking!

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    With GAMM type stuff it's normally to cover your ass legally when you're using someone else's music.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    sorry to chime in, but is that the same reason with DJs putting "Promo Use Only" on their mixtapes and CDs?

welcome to SS Tabasko.

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    yeah. you are distributing music that is not under your copyright so u have to make it look like its non profit, promo use only. Its not that way but thats just the legality.

• I think you guys are right about the GAMM thing...

However I heard at some time that labels also use / used "promotion" copies to rip off their artists. In the contract it might say that the label have the rights to press up XXX amount of promotion copies. They send out the "real" promos and sell the rest to shops without the artists getting payed for them.

Dress

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    how well does the "but the label said FOR PROMO ONLY" argument hold up in court?

where my lawyers at?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    how well does the "but the label said FOR PROMO ONLY" argument hold up in court?

I suspect not at all... but I don't think anybody's exactly bothering to sue DJ SMOOTH DENALI.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Nice screen name

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

nah, that can't be true.
    All it takes is one receipt no? Its pretty obvious those records are for sale...