Fave "Mainstream Psychedelic" Soul Song

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Vote for however many you want until we get winners.FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1120010805holmes">

Mainstream Psychedelic Soul Top 10 Decider[/b]Curtis Mayfield - If There's A Hell BelowChi-Lites - Give More Power To The PeopleThe Temptations - Ball Of ConfusionSly & The Family Stone - Family AffairStevie Wonder - Higher GroundStevie Wonder - Living For The CityFunkadelic - Maggot BrainCurtis Mayfield - Move On UpThe Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling StoneRotary Connection - Ruby TuesdayUndisputed Truth - Smiling Faces SometimesSly & The Family Stone - StandCurtis Mayfield - SuperflyStevie Wonder - SuperstitionSly & The Family Stone - ThankyouChambers Bros - Time Has Come TodayEdwin Starr - WarSly & The Family Stone - Everybody Is A StarFriends Of Distinction - Grazing In The GrassSly & The Family Stone - I Want To Take You HigherIsley Bros - It's Your ThingParliament - P Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)Shuggie Otis - Strawberry Letter 23Edwin Starr - 25 MilesFunkadelic - Undisco KidINPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">Don't blame me if your own private fave ain't there, it's AMG's list. Let the voting & complaining begin.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Kenny and Warren G with Funky Meters "Sissy Strut"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Lame, you can't vote more than once from the same IP address, kinda totally kills it.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Lame, you can't vote more than once from the same IP address, kinda totally kills it.

yeah

and where's the Dramatics - In the Rain?

Or some Clyde Coulter type drugs?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    can I just vote for the entire Solid Rock LP from the Temptations and call it a night?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was gonna say The Temps "Psychedelic Shack"

But then I voted for "Maggot Brain" although it isn't very mainstream.

• Speaking of Sly...can i get a "Skin I'm In"?????

Theme song material ya'll!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Edwin Starr - 25 Miles

I had to vote for this one because of the crazy farfisa breakdown, followed by the backwards guitar solo...oh, wait - that never happens...

umm...psychedelic?

while we're at it, "Move On Up" and "It's Your Thing?"

Am I missing something here?

• autezautez 404 Posts
    grazin in the grass has a special place in my heart

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    Edwin Starr - 25 Miles

I had to vote for this one because of the crazy farfisa breakdown, followed by the backwards guitar solo...oh, wait - that never happens...

umm...psychedelic?

while we're at it, "Move On Up" and "It's Your Thing?"

Am I missing something here?

I'm with you. I don't find some of these songs to be mind altering at all.
    I went with Maggot Brain.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I went with Maggot Brain.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Papa Was a Rolling Stone

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I voted for Family Affair, without seeing Maggot Brain.

Oh well, I'll stick with Sly on this one if we're talking mainstream psych-soul. (No disrespect, Curtis )

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I wouldn't call a guitar imitating raindrops psychedelic...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Really? I think that song does an impressive job of creating a convincing backdrop for the vocals to lay onto. A perfect mood piece. And the reverb/delay on that guitar just nasty!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Really? I think that song does an impressive job of creating a convincing backdrop for the vocals to lay onto. A perfect mood piece. And the reverb/delay on that guitar just nasty!

Oh, I agree witcha 200%! Just never thought of it as psychedelia, mainstream or otherwise...

But have you ever heard their song "The Devil Is Dope?" Now, THAT sounded like an attempt to ride the Norman Whitfield pseudo-psych bandwagon! It's from their album A Dramatic Experience, which Dramatics lead singer Ron Banks once said was an antidrug concept LP.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Oh, I agree witcha 200%! Just never thought of it as psychedelia, mainstream or otherwise...

But have you ever heard their song "The Devil Is Dope?" Now, THAT sounded like an attempt to ride the Norman Whitfield pseudo-psych bandwagon! It's from their album A Dramatic Experience, which Dramatics lead singer Ron Banks once said was an antidrug concept LP.

That is a pretty out there track on a pretty out-there LP.