You like loud music, do you?

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I live in an old (very large) house that's been converted into individual apartments. The owners have been remodeling the place since I moved in last December. For months I've endured loud construction all day, often until 8 or 9 at night. Over the last few weeks the workers have started blasting horrible pop and alternative music over the radio (they're working directly under my apartment now). Today I've had enough. I am blasting every bass-heavy rap CD I own at a volume that'll probably make my ears bleed pretty soon. I plan to keep this up until the fuckers get the message.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Play some LFO, that group that were on Tommy Boy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    word the fuck up. make sure the speakers are facing the floor too

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I live in an old (very large) house that's been converted into individual apartments. The owners have been remodeling the place since I moved in last December. For months I've endured loud construction all day, often until 8 or 9 at night. Over the last few weeks the workers have started blasting horrible pop and alternative music over the radio (they're working directly under my apartment now). Today I've had enough. I am blasting every bass-heavy rap CD I own at a volume that'll probably make my ears bleed pretty soon. I plan to keep this up until the fuckers get the message.

If you have sampler, loop a single heavy kick drum and play it all day, you and those construction dudes will be crazy by the end of the day.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

as a person often getting caught up on the other side of these rules i hate to bring them up, but most cities have laws for how early construction may begin, and how late into the night construction may continue. i would recommend calling the city building and safety department and asking if your city has codes regulating the start time and end time of a construction day. some cities require the contractor to show extreme hardship, or file for a variance, to be able to work on the weekend.

also note that often times if the remodeling is being done by the owner there is no building permit involved. this is a big no-no, and if you want you can put the entire project to a stop. the first thing to do is to check with the same department if any building permits have been filed for your address in the last few years, and if so what do the permits cover. however as a renter you should note that in the end this can cost you money, as sometime the owner is required to tear out all the illegal construction and apply for a building permit. the owner then has to hire an architect, or contractor to pull building permits and basically rebuild what was already there. this means that construction will go on for even longer, and the cost will most likely get passed onto you the renter.

i would start by seeing if the city has any time restrictions, and reminding the owner of those times, next i would talk to the owner about both curbing construction noise (ie laying tile and installing plumbing does not make the same amount of noise as cutting studs, and hanging drywall) to certain hours when possible, and letting you dj the construction area.

goodluck.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

as a person often getting caught up on the other side of these rules i hate to bring them up, but most cities have laws for how early construction may begin, and how late into the night construction may continue. i would recommend calling the city building and safety department and asking if your city has codes regulating the start time and end time of a construction day. some cities require the contractor to show extreme hardship, or file for a variance, to be able to work on the weekend.

also note that often times if the remodeling is being done by the owner there is no building permit involved. this is a big no-no, and if you want you can put the entire project to a stop. the first thing to do is to check with the same department if any building permits have been filed for your address in the last few years, and if so what do the permits cover. however as a renter you should note that in the end this can cost you money, as sometime the owner is required to tear out all the illegal construction and apply for a building permit. the owner then has to hire an architect, or contractor to pull building permits and basically rebuild what was already there. this means that construction will go on for even longer, and the cost will most likely get passed onto you the renter.

i would start by seeing if the city has any time restrictions, and reminding the owner of those times, next i would talk to the owner about both curbing construction noise (ie laying tile and installing plumbing does not make the same amount of noise as cutting studs, and hanging drywall) to certain hours when possible, and letting you dj the construction area.

goodluck.

wish I knew that last year when construction dudes were starting at 6 AM every day and shit right next to my window.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

goodluck.

Thanks for the advice, but the building is owned by the parents/brother of a friend of mine (that's how I got into the building). Fucking with their progress would be a bitch move in this situation. I think it's one new guy they just hired to help out that's blasting the radio. I've been at for over an hour now (moved on to Slump n'Grind and I'm really starting to enjoy this) and dude is still blasting the radio. I don't know, maybe he doesn't mind rap. I'll try blasting Leo Sayer in a minute.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Pelican - Australasia.

The best noise-rock has to offer. But the workers might like it too.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    wish I knew that last year when construction dudes were starting at 6 AM every day and shit right next to my window.
    I'm pretty sure this is a totaly kosher start time.

goodluck.
    Or if it's more the music bothering you than the actual construction (most likely since it really ain't that loud unless they are jackhammering) Just go down and talk to the dudes face to face. Be reasonable and nice and they probably will be too.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    For months I've endured loud construction all day, often until 8 or 9 at night.

what the hell you doin at home all day everyday? get a job! christ!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    blast them with schoolly d.

For months I've endured loud construction all day, often until 8 or 9 at night.

what the hell you doin at home all day everyday? get a job! christ!

I absolutely will not!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    well then go get some fresh air at least! fly a kite, fucker!

Just go down and talk to the dudes face to face. Be reasonable and nice and they probably will be too.

I have mentioned my irritation with the radio before and it never sticks. They'll turn it down that day, but the next day it'll be at the same volume as before. I'm going to talk to the lanlord (my friend) about it as soon as he decides to return my calls.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    YOU TELL EM!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I've been at for over an hour now (moved on to Slump n'Grind and I'm really starting to enjoy this) and dude is still blasting the radio. I don't know, maybe he doesn't mind rap. I'll try blasting Leo Sayer in a minute.

Dog,
    If you really want this to work, you need move towards the music nestled betwixt the edge of reason and absolute madness. Try Bloodclaat Gangsta Youth's "Kill or Be Killed." Or Nailbomb's "While You Sleep, I Destroy Your World" ("Shit Pi??ata", from the same LP, coming in a close second). Both have stupid bass, and both will kill soundbwoy next door. You may even grow to like the "noisecore" genre in the process.

Holler if you need mp3s.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    man oh man. i sort wish i were in your situation, 'cause i've been looking for a good reason to bring it back to 7th grade.

now two questions.
    1.) who's the fourth guy?
    2.) what was the deal with fresh kid ice's arm?

• meshmesh 925 Posts

2.) what was the deal with fresh kid ice's arm?

i think its a birth defect.

twoply, you gotta kill em with kindness. retaliating against them with more noise isnt going to solve the problem. the probable reason they have the music so loud is they can't really hear it that well. either because the construction is too loud, or like a lot of construction workers, their hearing is starting to degrade due to the constant loud work environment they are used to. just keep asking them to turn it down with a smile, and eventually, they should be able to keep it down. or at the least, as soon as they see you, they will turn it down and you won't have to keep asking them, just show your face and they will get the point.

or not. in which case i recomend anything by dj magic mike.