Can anyone identify where this picture is from?

paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not sure of the original source, but it certainly
    appears to be a World War I photo of an entire town
    wearing gas masks. Here's a larger copy of the photo:

http://f.hatena.ne.jp/images/fotolife/V/VIDEO/20070127/20070127201859.jpg

• chasechase 767 Posts
    that is real???

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    it can't be real. the camera is much too good.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Yeah, it does look a bit suspect. The field of focus is pretty odd, it seems to run really deep and wide, and fade pretty arbitrarily (look at the flag all the way on the right).

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Look at the full-size print I linked to -
    nothing about it looks fake to me at all.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    it's not like they're all levitating or there's a three headed dog or someshit...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    What the hell are you guys talking about?

To organize period props like this would require a huge Hollywood style budget. Why? You guys are crazy with the conspiracy theories sometimes.

I did cursory research to test my observation abilities and believe this picture to be taken during WWI of Russians based on gas mask style, uniform, and the flag (possibly) being a double eagle. **This is only an educated guess. **
    Peace
    T.N.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Looks like a Slipknot cover.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    To organize period props like this would require a huge Hollywood style budget. Why? You guys are crazy with the conspiracy theories sometimes.

I did cursory research to test my observation abilities and believe this picture to be taken during WWI of Russians based on gas mask style, uniform, and the flag (possibly) being a double eagle. **This is only an educated guess. **
    Peace
    T.N.

I'm just saying it looks like it could be doctored. Good photoshop skills could create something similar to this. I really have no interest in 'conspiracy theories', I'm simply commenting on the aethetic qualities of the image.

• All you need to do is follow the worms...[/b]

• What the hell are you guys talking about?

I guess you have no idea what the definition of a "conspiracy theory" is...I agree that it looks too good to be some random wartime pic...looks like a movie poster or something.

(I'm not saying it's a "fake" picture or photoshopped, it just looks like a shot from an obscure foreign movie rather than "real life")

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Pioneers in Defense Drill, Leningrad, 1937 by Viktor Bulla

Pioneers in Defense Drill, Leningrad, 1937 by Viktor Bulla

knowledge hath been droppethed.

• I don't know the exact source either, but it looks like some kind of youth organization on a training day. I can only see a couple of adults and the maxim gun in the left bottom corner seems to be a toy model or wood replica.

The dude in the middle center has a cap with a star on it, which is a hint for Russia. Gas masks were invented in WW 1 and the picture seems to be taken during that time. As far as I know, the gas fights took place on the western front though.

^^^ was still typing this when the answer was given ^^^

as for Viktor Bulla, just one year after this "during the Great Purge
    he was arrested and accused of being a German Spy and shot." (wiki entry)

The Great Purge was some seriously fucked-up shit.

• that pic is incredible, esp. the kids in the lower left hand corner.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Yeah, it does look a bit suspect. The field of focus is pretty odd, it seems to run really deep and wide, and fade pretty arbitrarily (look at the flag all the way on the right).

There's nothing about this that looks out of the ability for any cameraperson in the 1930s to take.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

There's nothing about this that looks out of the ability for any cameraperson in the 1930s to take.
    True.

• Pioneers in Defense Drill, Leningrad, 1937 by Viktor Bulla

thanks everyone! much appreciated, soulstrutters can't go wrong! well, erm, almost...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

I used to have this as my desktop image,

it's too big to post here..

and this was taken in 1908.