"Oil Closes Above $80 a Barrel" (gas-price-R)

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
"Oil Closes Above $80 a Barrel for First Time" Energy experts warn that the jump in the price of crude would raise prices for heating oil and gasoline. I love how it takes an energy expert to tell us that higher crude oil prices = higher gas prices....since, like, ya know, gas is made from crude oil.anyone else remember $1/gallon gas? I do.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    anyone else remember $1/gallon gas? I do.

damn man you're old

• "Oil Closes Above $80 a Barrel for First Time"

Oh yeah. I catch myself these days saying, "Wow. What a deal!" when I see gas for like $2.80 a gallon. Times done changed.

• anyone else remember $1/gallon gas? I do.

damn man you're old

kids these days.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I haven't been following the financial news lately, so is it logical to assume that
    the markets are in a downturn?

I think someone should make an "OFFICIAL Financial News Thread".

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

damn man you're old

kids these days.

I think gas was slightly under $1 when I got my license... and I could still barely afford it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

damn man you're old

kids these days.

you should atone for being so old and you should do it this year, cause next year you'll only be older and it'll tougher on you

damn man you're old

kids these days.

you should atone for being so old and you should do it this year, cause next year you'll only be older and it'll tougher on you

I don't atone for growing older. but I atone for the fact that the girls I date stay the same age.

damn man you're old

kids these days.

I think gas was slightly under $1 when I got my license... and I could still barely afford it.

same here. i remember gas at something like 98 cents a gallon when i started driving... 21 years ago...

damn. i also remember buying gas and hearing "strong island" on the college station when that shit was new.... damn.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    We might be headed for another recession because you have the home loan crisis plus the rise in gas. From today's Wall Street Journal:

Likelihood of a Recession Is Given Better Odds
    Economists Debate If Job Outlook
    Is as Bad as Feared
    By SUDEEP REDDY
    September 13, 2007; Page A5

Economic forecasters are boosting the odds of a recession over the next 12 months as the housing slump deepens and the credit crisis continues. But there is sharp disagreement over the likelihood of a contraction, with some arguing it is all but inevitable and others insisting the economy will skirt a downturn.

Economists in the latest WSJ.com survey pegged the risk of a recession at 36%, on average, up from 28% a month earlier. Fifty-five economists took part in the survey, and 52 answered the question about the likelihood of a recession. The survey was conducted after last Friday's report on August employment, which showed the first monthly jobs decline in four years.

The survey showed a divergence of views about the economic outlook, with the chances of a recession put at 5% to 90%. Eleven economists said there was at least a 50% chance. On the other end, 13 economists said the chance of recession was lower than 30%.

damn man you're old

I remember when the shit was 99 cents back in 1995 1996 for gas.
    I remember when on- road vehicles used leaded gas not unleaded.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

damn man you're old

kids these days.

My first gas purchase was at $0.52 per gallon

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

damn man you're old

kids these days.

i thought back then you had to pedal with your feet.

damn man you're old

kids these days.

daaaayyyum. how much was a bottle of soda pop?

• Options
    I remember when you could fill a snapple bottle and huff gas all the way to the next exit on the Thruway where your friend lived while your buddy puffed a blunt in the car and you passed them back and forth and you showed up and couldn't walk.

You can still do that, just need a thruway and two buddies. It's the buddy system. Learn it.

None of you know SHIT about oil. I'll just put that out there and let you smell the fart i'm aiming your way.

• oh yeah, recession is around the corner...don't quit your job, tread water and put your money in ING

• Anyone remember around 1997/1998 when it dipped to 89 cents a gallon?

I saw it in OK for 69 cents. Cheapest I've ever seen it.

I remember that summer. Went on a trip to Denver, Estes Park, etc. Hard to rationalize spending $2.89 on a road trip these days. Might as well fly, if road trips weren't more about the journey than the destination.

None of you know SHIT about oil. I'll just put that out there and let you smell the fart i'm aiming your way.

HAHAHAHAHA. You funny Matt.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Bring on $200 a barrel; let's thin the heard a little.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Anyone remember around 1997/1998 when it dipped to 89 cents a gallon?

I remember that summer. Went on a trip to Denver, Estes Park, etc. Hard to rationalize spending $2.89 on a road trip these days. Might as well fly, if road trips weren't more about the journey than the destination.

Road trips shred. I just paid $4+ a gallon to fill my rental car at some godforsaken truck stop in central California.

• Bring on $200 a barrel; let's thin the heard a little.
    you sound dangerous

Who would've thought recession would be the solution for cutting back on green house gas emissions?!

damn man you're old

kids these days.

same here. i remember gas at something like 98 cents a gallon when i started driving... 21 years ago...

Damn, I was getting gas in SC for $.85/gallon (Smiley Gas, was it?) in 96/97. And that was barely 10 years ago.

Re: gas at $80 a barrell, it's still cheaper than bottled water.

Back in my teens the fam took a cross-country trip (1977). I remember pumping gas that was in the 65-70 cent range. We had a Chevy Suburban with a 32 gallon tank.

Them days is GONE....[/b]

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Let's start with those who can't spell.