on the snare or on the kick (break chop r)

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Where are strutteur chopping breaks ? On the kick , or on the snare? Or elsewhere? My sampler doesn't have a visual editor (Boss SP202), and I chop on snares in order to mask the click.(b/w at the local cafe, in the lab, disney world, et cetera)

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    what?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    depends on the source

• i chop them all up in little pieces. add a dash of 808 and shake vigorously. rinse, wash, repeat.

• depends on the source

But now I'm doing it the other way around. I dont chop the drum to the click, I change the click and the rest of the samples to the drumgroove.

It's all about the human swing and groove !!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    what?

WHen you cut breaks into pieces, do you cut them into pieces on snare notes, or on kick drum notes?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    what?

WHen you cut breaks into pieces, do you cut them into pieces on snare notes, or on kick drum notes?

i cut up every single 8th or 16th, depending on the break.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    what?

You're using a visual interface right? Hitting on every 8th or 16th is tough.

• I cut up every sound (visually, yes)-- small drum rolls I might leave untouched.

• what?

You're using a visual interface right? Hitting on every 8th or 16th is tough.

man....i started makin beats on a eps, that shit didn't have any type of visual way to look at your sample....

i feel that i'm better at chopping stuff up using my ears...although i use an mpc 2000xl now...i still use my ears to make sure the break is chopped to perfection...i'm sure that most on here that started on ancient samplers agree that it was best to learn with limitations....

however ako using only cool edit and makin the stuff he does is

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    why would you cut a break o nthe snare?

the one is the kick

• what?

Same here. I cut everything with sound forge and import the pieces in the mpc.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

the one is the kick

Because if it is more than one bar it doesn't matter where the first note of the phrase is. Once you loop a sample the first note of the phrase doesn't exist.

• [mpcforums] MAN why are you so hung up on what other cats are doing? DO YOU, stop trying to emulate some other *****'s style! Besides, everyone knows Primo made his last beat with a turkey and a bucket! [/mpcforums}

For real though, I tend to with ako (as well I should, since his drums are 1000 times nicer than mine)

the one is the kick

Because if it is more than one bar it doesn't matter where the first note of the phrase is. Once you loop a sample the first note of the phrase doesn't exist.

so you cut from the snare and then up to the kick on say 9

then set 9 to 1 and loop?

that strikes me as really weird.. unless there's a crash or noise on the 1 why wouldnt you just loop from the 1?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

so you cut from the snare and then up to the kick on say 9

then set 9 to 1 and loop?

that strikes me as really weird.. unless there's a crash or noise on the 1 why wouldnt you just loop from the 1?

I cut from the snare in the first bar, to the snare in the second bar. Say, from the fifth note in the first bar to the fifth note in the second bar. Altering the time signature of a break can be cool, but that's mostly I'm experimental appreicate this with your mind steez.

Really, I'm just asking a semi-germane question to get people talking, and see if anything interesting pops up.

My process is usually:

Sample the break into the 202, and spread it out over the 8 pads (one voice related, rhktd).
    Record myself playing the 202 in real time (aka noodling for 20 minutes) on minidisc.
    Import the recording onto my computer.
    Find the phrases that stand out, and loop them.

I cut from the snare in the first bar, to the snare in the second bar. Say, from the fifth note in the first bar to the fifth note in the second bar.

so you start all your tracks on the 2??

sorry for being a dingus.. i dont sample breaks but i do play drums / play in bands... and this approach just doesnt make any sense to me...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I cut from the snare in the first bar, to the snare in the second bar. Say, from the fifth note in the first bar to the fifth note in the second bar.

so you start all your tracks on the 2??

sorry for being a dingus.. i dont sample breaks but i do play drums / play in bands... and this approach just doesnt make any sense to me...

Once I let the loop ride on the computer I can edit out the notes that come before the original downbeat. The loop that is playing on the final piece of music will start on the downbeat--unless I'm trying to get avant garde with it.

• Are you talking about the click as in metronome or the click as in I-didn't-chop-my-sample-well-enough-so-it's-clicking-at-the-beginning-and-end-of-the-sample?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Are you talking about the click as in metronome or the click as in I-didn't-chop-my-sample-well-enough-so-it's-clicking-at-the-beginning-and-end-of-the-sample?

I'm talking about the click that comes from having an sp-202 and having to hit the mark button. Stoned as fuck spending thirty minutes trying to get a loop right, an no natter what I do the click remains--the shit just gets smaller but it never goes away. I've never been able to work with a metronome.

• Your talking about a Dr sample sp 202 right? There is a click with those? Cause i have one and i was unaware.

There is no reason to sample on the 2 unless the first kick is bad... Its not a matter of technique... its just common sense. There is nothing gained by that approach. I chop 8ths or 4ths. Leave the fills intact. But what i really like to do lately is get a break sync'ed up to the grid in protools. Then just chop and re-arrange everything.. rather than loading all the sounds into mpc and hand playing em. I do the hand played thing for a certain effect but ultimately im starting to go back into computer land away from my gear.

I know your saying that your doing stuff in other time signatures... but that still makes no sense to chop on the 2. Unless your saying you chop on the two because your using the mark feature in the sp 202 and you cant predict when the one will hit. Drums are a crazy science... Recently though... im all about just laying shit into protools... creating the loop... then just sliding everything gridless until i have a cool sound. Just copying the swing of either the drum break by chopping the sample and free sliding to the drum breaks swing... or vice versa chopping to the samples swing.

heres a real question tho.... What do you guys use as far as swing goes when programming drums in your mpc? Let me know...