what do you wish you had enough motivation to do?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
theres a lot of stuff id want to do, but my strongest interests lay elsewhere, so i never really got that into any of this stuff...what shit would you love to do but never really got passionate enough to start doing? for me:be knowledgable in building/fixing electronics learn to screenprintlearn adobe illustrator wellstart a 78 collectionlearn bass (i started but once my bass broke i pretty much gave up)get my 8-track up and running and learn the mixer and learn to calibrate it and start recordinglots of other shit.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    anything.

• Research and write a book

• Apathy is squashed by competition.

I've always wanted to write some creative stuff, but never had any ambition to do so until my friend and I got into a competition over it.

I've wanted to learn the guitar since forever, but time is not helping me out, especially when coaching soccer. I'll probably throw down for a new one this winter. The key with learning an instrument is getting through the first half a year to a year, since that's when the majority of people get fed up with not seeing instant results. My piano teacher told me a story about one of his friends visiting and remarking how he wishes there were just some magic gloves that would make him good. How pathetic is that?

• great thread dude.
    1. get married
    2. have family.
    peace, stein. . .

• Actually participate in politics or a social movement that brings positive repercussions to all people.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    1. finish bay area soul music website
    2. start outlining book about bay area soul music
    3. reconnect with local soul musicians
    4. separate all my rap 80s/90s/00s (at least theyre organized by letter)

• theres a lot of stuff id want to do, but my strongest interests lay elsewhere, so i never really got that into any of this stuff...what shit would you love to do but never really got passionate enough to start doing? for me:

be knowledgable in building/fixing electronics

learn to screenprint

learn adobe illustrator well

start a 78 collection

learn bass (i started but once my bass broke i pretty much gave up)

lots of other shit.

All of those, we think the same.

• 1. make more music
    2. see number 1
    3. i second the "learn to screenprint"
    4. ride my bike more
    5. explore my city

• your question is excellent: not "enough TIME" or "enough ENERGY" to do, because those are indeed cop outs, but what you wish you had the motivation to do. You know you want to do it, you know youll be happy when you do it, but it takes motivation to do great things. and what we REALLY WANT to do, we FIND TIME to do....

anyway:

1. ride bike more.
    2. ride skateboard more.
    3. paint more art.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    1. join a gym/excercise
    2. move to bigger city
    3. paint more (more about inspiration than motivation)

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    -get in shape
    -actually finish[/b] a mixtape

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    -get in shape
    -actually finish[/b] a mixtape

wow, 1000% on both. ive started probably like 10 mixtapes and got maybe 25 minutes in at the most on any of them.

• post on soulstrut.. no wait..

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I had a residency at a boujee soho hotel lounge for the last year. it was really great money and tought me a lot about the general public's reaction to music. However, it was wearing away my soul. so...last night i got in an argument with the manager over doing a super cheesy private party there, and he fired me. initially, i felt rejected/bummed/worried, but having slept on it, i knew what i was doing. this will give me a lot more motivation to do something bigger, better and a hell of a lot more satisfying. life was too kuschy there, and it's time to get back on the GRIND.

*I will miss the women there

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    learn to play piano proper(not only chords).

• -Work on a creative video project that is not work. I got a ton of ideas that keep getting squashed by the wheels of work. Got a meeting tonight that might help this...

-Get in the shape so that I can do 100 mile bike rides. I'm in GOOD shape, but it's time to challenge myself, and stop dicking around.

-Finish that fucking script that me and my dude started for a pilot, that we had two producers encouraging us to finish and submit. At this point, I don't care if it becomes anything, I just want to finish it.

So many...this is a constant problem in my life.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    go the Y more than twice a week...and conquer free weights

learn to speak and read Russian

catalogue my records for insurance purposes

learn to play drums

• Shift my bookkeeping to Quicken
    Less internet, more books
    Gym more than once a week
    Finish a piece of music

• Start working on remodling my bathroom. I know it is going to take a while and I have no idea what I am doing, but I need to get started.

Also, I really want to make a new mix.

All I have been motivated to do of late is listen to music on my new speakers which make everything sound so good I fear I am going to become and audiophile dumb ass.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Get in shape
    Finish the book
    Learn to drive

• Learn how to play guitar, get back to writing, travel more ( I still need to see the US). Start a 45's collection. Get into music production. Hit up more record shows around the U.S..