a rather diverse mix for you and you and you...

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Heres a mix for ya...Its a mix about life, records, life, records, and life... (Age gets the joke!)the backstory - I make mix cds of the latest 20 or so songs on my mind, for the car, etc. Been doing this a while, got about 30 of them now. (sorry, i cant explain why the numbering is up to 346). I decided to make a 'one track version' this time, where i did some gentle fading from track to track so it feels kinda like a radio station show. (as opposed to the high tech "dj mix" with loops and crazy blends etc.) So i made a mp3 of it. I have a tendency to try and juxtapose stuff that otherwise wouldnt be hanging out together... I am wondering: is there anyone out there who likes all[/b] of these tracks? (cuz i sure do)Thanks and apologies to Strutters who have shared some of these tracks (or wrote some of these!). I definitely dont mean to bite, im just freaking out on the great tunes..Also - depending on traffic, i may have to take the mp3 down in a few days. its too big for my free yousendit acct.oh - and finally, ive got 3 more of these i could put up soon, if people want them. let me know. enjoy!The Fossil Record Vol. 346: Strength in Exhaustion[/b] 192K, 103MB, about 75 min.1. The Blades Of Grass ???Just Ah???2. Simon Dupree And The Big Sound ???Who Cares???3. The Move ???Do Ya???4. Monks ???Cuckoo???5. Howlin??? Wolf ???Evil??? 6. Protestant Choir of the Wallkill Correctional Facility ???The Whole World Seems To Be Crumbling???7. Dyke and The Blazers ???Let A Woman Be A Woman, Let A Man Be A Man (long version)???8. Tony Joe White ???Don???t Steal My Love???9. Chas Jankel ???3,000,000 Synths???10. People Under The Stairs ???Tuxedo Rap???11. Smith ???Baby Its You???12. The Supremes ???Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet???13. Los Sandoval ???Carpenters Medley???14. Duke Ellington ???Black And Tan Fantasie???15. Laramie ???Crimson And Clover???16. Wildweeds ???I???m Dreaming???17. Santa Barbara Machine Head ???Rubber Monkey???18. Mustafa Ozkent ???Burcak Tarlalari???19. Brother Jack McDuff ???On The Case???20. Ghostface Killah ???Beauty Jackson???21. John Morell ???Old Man???22. The Gamble Folk ???Cindy???23. Blind Willie Johnson ???Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground???24. Joe Tex ???The Love You Save (May Be Your Own)???

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I am wondering: is there anyone out there who likes all[/b] of these tracks?

Hmmm, I want to say it looks like I'll love 50% of them. Will listen tomorrow at the McJob. Thanks!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Haven't downloaded yet, but this looks right up my alley.

The Wildweeds 45 is a personal favorite, held in very high regard.

I posted it at Waxidermy a while back, but don't know if you saw
    this ... a video for "I'm Dreaming" - lipsynched, but amazing still:

Thnaks for the mix. Looking forward to checking it out.

edit: ha, someone also really needs to fix the sound-synch
    on that clip, too! It has to be fairly easy to do ... it is
    WAY off.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Haven't downloaded yet, but this looks right up my alley.

The Wildweeds 45 is a personal favorite, held in very high regard.

I posted it at Waxidermy a while back, but don't know if you saw
    this ... a video for "I'm Dreaming" - lipsynched, but amazing still:

thats sweet! (and yeah, waaaaay off! heh!)... I dont have the 45, didnt know youd posted it. i got mine off a LP compilation i found that looked like a mid 80s semi-legal thing. Nice package etc but not really any label info that made sense to me. It didnt explain the bands info but there was a map of windsor ontario, so i guess thats where they were from (canadian version of detroits garage scene??)

So this song was considered a single? I picked it off the LP just cuz i liked it the most.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I dont have the 45, didnt know youd posted it. i got mine off a LP compilation i found that looked like a mid 80s semi-legal thing. Nice package etc but not really any label info that made sense to me. It didnt explain the bands info but there was a map of windsor ontario, so i guess thats where they were from (canadian version of detroits garage scene??)

So this song was considered a single? I picked it off the LP just cuz i liked it the most.

Yeah, it's a single on Cadet. They were from Connecticut, actually.
    It's funny that you call that comp "semi-legal" because the singer
    for the Wildweeds, Al Anderson, has it in his discography on his
    own website, but calls it a "semi-bootleg" too. Maybe that means he
    put it out himself? Wildweeds had a few 45's on Cadet, all in different
    styles. Their big "hit" is "No Good to Cry," the sort of crossover
    electric folk-jangle/blue eyed-soul song that probably leads off your
    LP. In my opinion, one of the great 45's of 60's pop. They put out an
    album, but it was after a switch to Vanguard, and they switched their
    style again, this time to mellow country rock. It's actually a pretty good
    album, but completely different from their earlier 45's. Al Anderson
    went on to bigger (underground) success spending the next 30 years or
    whatever as an important member of NRBQ, although he wasn't an OG member,
    joining them for their 3rd LP. I have that same comp you have, but on
    CD, which includes the Vanguard LP, although I have that on wax anyway.

• Wonderful. I loved the blues stuff in the end.

Yeah, it's a single on Cadet. They were from Connecticut, actually.
    It's funny that you call that comp "semi-legal" because the singer
    for the Wildweeds, Al Anderson, has it in his discography on his
    own website, but calls it a "semi-bootleg" too. Maybe that means he
    put it out himself?

Wildweeds had a few 45's on Cadet, all in different
    styles. Their big "hit" is "No Good to Cry," the sort of crossover
    electric folk-jangle/blue eyed-soul song that probably leads off your
    LP. In my opinion, one of the great 45's of 60's pop. They put out an
    album, but it was after a switch to Vanguard, and they switched their
    style again, this time to mellow country rock. It's actually a pretty good
    album, but completely different from their earlier 45's. Al Anderson
    went on to bigger (underground) success spending the next 30 years or
    whatever as an important member of NRBQ, although he wasn't an OG member,
    joining them for their 3rd LP. I have that same comp you have, but on
    CD, which includes the Vanguard LP, although I have that on wax anyway.

i appreciate the schooling - its amazing how much info there is to learn...
    yeah thats the LP:

its all quite good, indeed.

i really like certain early NRBQ stuff. im putting "only you" from 'scraps' on one of my next mixes.. i now see thats an Al Anderson appearance. cool.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    That localprisongospel track is rather nice. LP? Got any more? Today was a great day for mixes on the strut.

That localprisongospel track is rather nice. LP? Got any more? Today was a great day for mixes on the strut.

its an LP, yes, on HOB (Scepter's gospel division). I pretty much cherry picked the one good track, the rest is "we shall overcome" and "oh my jesus" type stuff. decent but average aside from that track.

i got 3 more mixes in the pipeline, similar type range of stuff.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Karlo do you have that whole LP from The Move? Split Ends its called. I used a track off of it (Words of Aaron) on my waxidermy mix. I find the LP just kinda ok, but i have only been through it like 3 times since i got it like 6 months ago.

Karlo do you have that whole LP from The Move? Split Ends its called. I used a track off of it (Words of Aaron) on my waxidermy mix. I find the LP just kinda ok, but i have only been through it like 3 times since i got it like 6 months ago.

yeah, its a bit uneven i think 'cuz its a 'posthumous' collection of "leftovers"/rarities - i think(?). i have 3-4 original Move albums and they are nice.

but the pre-ELO "do ya" rules! all raw and grimey. sorta!

• I love that smith track.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Nice mix.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Whoa, never heard that "Do Ya" by The Moves. Great song. Thanks for this.