what else do you buy when you hit the thrifts?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
other than records:bookselectronicsclothesbagstrinketsfurniturei gotta look through the whole shop every time, dont wanna miss any deals...

Comments

• drinking glasses with nice/odd patterns
    the odd bottle opener
    the odd book on golf

really tho, I try not to spend $$ on crap I'll never need

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I used to buy alot of random crap, but at this
    point just records unless they have old pulp
    paperbacks. At a couple of them I'll buy clothes,
    there's this one hipsterish thrift near my house
    (more gay than hipster, actually, which accounts
    for the good clothes and bad records) that always
    has crazy nice clothes with the tags still on ...
    last time there I bought a "new" Ben Sherman button-down
    shirt and an unworn Penguin sweater for $6 each!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    8-track tape players/recorders
    8mm film cameras
    Old CD software/video games (one can always find some interesting sounds from them, if anything)

The last piece of electronics I purchased was that Q-Sound encoder that I had talked about a few months ago.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    electronics, cassettes(!), mugs, clothes, anything

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I collect vintage pantyhose whenever i see them. i don't wear em, though.

A few years back i once got this vhs tape of some b-boys in japan with a hip hop video. I wish I could find that damn thing. It was nuts!!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    handbags and heels and really goofy but somewhat endearing artwork. the problem with the shoes is that i will end up paying a lot more to get them stretched at the shoe guy than i payed for.

i also always look for camera stuff but i think in sf they're onto that now and will overcharge crazily, espcially at what used to be my #1 spot for camera crap. i'm not paying over $100 for a yashica-d tlr when i could get that for $5 3 years ago. i hate living in the city sometimes

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

instruments
    tennis rackets
    art

whats the Strut opinion on thrifted shoes?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I hardly ever even look at anything else when I hit op-shops and stuff.

My girl looks at EVERYTHING.

She mainly buys books and vintage fabrics.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    whats the Strut opinion on thrifted shoes?

i buy / wear them. i dont see a problem really.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    handbags and heels. the problem with the shoes is that i will end up paying a lot more to get them stretched at the shoe guy than i payed for.

I need to try getting some shoes stretched, I hardly ever find vintage shoes in my size and when I do they are still too tight. I have a pair Ive been meaning to take in, they are leather so hopefully that makes it easier??

Depending on what supplies I need its usually Records first, Handbags second, Belts and Scarfs then Fabric, sometimes Shoes, always Furniture and Jewelry last cause its near the reggie.

I just started getting into books, why do the things I like have to weigh so much?

I collect wire furniture, generally record related and it is thankfully lightweight and pretty easy to find, but sometimes hidden in the knick knack area near all the wine racks and cheesy wooden shit.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    handbags and heels. the problem with the shoes is that i will end up paying a lot more to get them stretched at the shoe guy than i payed for.

I need to try getting some shoes stretched, I hardly ever find vintage shoes in my size and when I do they are still too tight. I have a pair Ive been meaning to take in, they are leather so hopefully that makes it easier??

Can sneakers be stretched? How much room do you gain when they do this?

Also, I've found some choice vintage neckties BITD.

Is there anywhere in the US where you can still find decent vintage cloths in thrift shops? That shit has been dead in California for a good 10 years now.

you got to go a little out of town up here to get good vintage clothes for cheap, everything else ends up in specialty shops unless you are an early riser or a bin diver.

I got my spots though, fabric is really where its at for true vintage finds, for me at least.

Ive never had shoes stretched, I would also like to know how these things work.

Perhaps it's just the era. When I got into thrift shops is was wall to wall polyester madness. Now it's like rejects from Saved By the Bell the College Years.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts

This is one of the things I look for as well. Some of them are comedy...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Perhaps it's just the era. When I got into thrift shops is was wall to wall polyester madness. Now it's like rejects from Saved By the Bell the College Years.

So true, the clothes in the thrifts are shite now!
    I love old plaid shirts, they used to be a dime a dozen, now I'm lucky to
    find one keeper in 5 trips to the thrift.
    Bins are were it's at.....
    sharpen your elbows though, I know a dude
    who got a tooth knocked out in a tug of war over some vintage Nikes.
    By a little old asian lady!
    He ended getting over $500 for them, so it was worth it (his words not mine).

He ended getting over $500 for them, so it was worth it (his words not mine).

Tooth fixin' money!

That 7th one from the left (brown with white & purple diagonal stripes?) looks niiiiiiiice. I'd rock the hell out of that one!

Do you actually wear 'em or just collect 'em?

yeah i lived in southern california during the height of the great japanese levi caper, when mushroom curtains and designer shag rugs were plentyful. Where calico and pucci roamed free, where gunnisax and petermax draped the isles and the childrens tshirt area was filled to the brim with authentic 70's and 80's family vacation madness. Brady Bunch raers were dollar commons, man Those were the days. Ravers had a hand in ruining it, slicing and dicing 80's kid sheets to make their pants bigger.

I'm a dude, but I found an awesome adidas bag in the purse section one time. Ever since I've found that I've walked through the purse section. (If i weren't so lazy I would find that picture of the dude with the amoeba man-bag that shows up every month.)

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I'm a dude, but I found an awesome adidas bag in the purse section one time. Ever since I've found that I've walked through the purse section. (If i weren't so lazy I would find that picture of the dude with the amoeba man-bag that shows up every month.)

you speak of King Moist???

yeah i lived in southern california during the height of the great japanese levi caper, when mushroom curtains and designer shag rugs were plentyful. Where calico and pucci roamed free, where gunnisax and petermax draped the isles and the childrens tshirt area was filled to the brim with authentic 70's and 80's family vacation madness. Brady Bunch raers were dollar commons, man Those were the days. Ravers had a hand in ruining it, slicing and dicing 80's kid sheets to make their pants bigger.

ahhhh... the 90's.

That 7th one from the left (brown with white & purple diagonal stripes?) looks niiiiiiiice. I'd rock the hell out of that one!

I actually don't like that one as much as some of the others... the colors are cool, but I think they used heavy drape fabric to make it.

Do you actually wear 'em or just collect 'em?

I'm a grad student, so I don't get a ton of opportunities to wear ties. I could wear them when I go out to bars, but that's sorta NAGL here. When the time is right I'll definitely wear some of the better ones.

Do you have enough to warrant taking a picture?

Just a few, but I'm away on vacation. I'll post a pic when I get back though! Maybe I have one that I can trade you for!

ahhhh... the 90's.

LOL.

kinda like being sad with a smile

at least it wasnt as bad as the 80's as far as fashion went.

Oh wait, people still think 80's fashion was good.

opps.

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    Blazers,
    Boots,
    Paintings,
    and

Just a few, but I'm away on vacation. I'll post a pic when I get back though! Maybe I have one that I can trade you for!

haha.. I never thought I would be trading neckties with someone on the internet. PM me your address and I'll send you the one you like. You don't have to send me one in exchange.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    how about the things you get really excited to find other than records?

for me:

old marushka / other wall hangings
    80s boomboxes
    really cheap high-end stereo equipment / instruments
    flourescent 60s/70s ceramic figures
    garfields
    fucking insanely strange looking 80s/90s shirts and stuff
    orange tab levi's that fit well

plenty more.

i buy something at a thrift store pretty much every time.

the best ones are out in the middle of nowhere where:

A. theres lots of old people
    B. theres not much competition
    and
    C. the most expensive price tag you find is $2.00

theres some really rural stores out by my parents house that are fucking INSANE. 25cents for all clothing and shit. unfortunately my favorite one closed. it was crazy going into a store and grabbing literally anything you even KINDA wanted, bringing it up to the counter and dropping maybe 5 bucks

that place was filled with private-pressed folk shit. too bad im not into the stuff. crates and crates of that shit.

really cheap high-end stereo equipment

I once found a yamaha receiver that probably cost around $300-400 new that was for sale for $20 or so. I already had one so i told my friend, "hey man, you have to buy that" and I hooked shit up and tested it out for him in the store too. I began to regret telling him to buy it a couple minutes later. I could be using that thing in basement.