Columbia Mono pressing appreciation post

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
bumpin a mono copy of "Notorious Byrd Brothers" and goddamn , the Columbia Monos sound so fucking good...what happened when they went stereo? they sound no where as good

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    wow! that's gotta be raer in mono, dude! those late 60's mono ones go for loot sometimes. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is super hard to find in mono.

yeah, they sound awesome though! I love mono!

• Made me jump up and put on my mono Fifth Dimension.

Thank you.

• Not that these are Columbia or anything but some records sound like shit when they are mono. My Stones and Troggs mono albums sound like butt. Thumbs up to the Columbia ones though...they do sound great indeed. Electric Prunes mono...terrible sound!

• Columbia is shrill as a constipated bird sqwaking.

• Not that these are Colubia or anything but some records sound like shit when they are mono. My Stones and Troggs mono albums sound like butt. Thumbs up to the Columbia ones though...they do sound great indeed. Electric Prunes mono...terrible sound!

Your Stones monos sound bad?

I've got a beat to shit December's Children that I always throw in the crates when I play out. Get Off My Cloud mono has everything collapsed into a primal Charlie Watts thump thump and it has never failed to pack the floor.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    wow! that's gotta be raer in mono, dude! those late 60's mono ones go for loot sometimes. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is super hard to find in mono.

hey, peep the back of your "sweetheart" and check out who the pedal steel player is.

AP, my ears were conditioned at an early age on AC/DC LPs on a soundesign record player...so clean ass Columbias sound like front row center at the syndney opera house to me.

BTW I have a private press new age oboe LP for ya

• Not that these are Colubia or anything but some records sound like shit when they are mono. My Stones and Troggs mono albums sound like butt. Thumbs up to the Columbia ones though...they do sound great indeed. Electric Prunes mono...terrible sound!

I've got a beat to shit December's Children that I always throw in the crates when I play out. Get Off My Cloud mono has everything collapsed into a primal Charlie Watts thump thump and it has never failed to pack the floor.

All the ones I have sound really compressed or something. Most of the ones I come across have this hiss sound too. My copy of Aftermath looks mint...plays like shit.

• Reprise sounds like a BM dangling from an A-Hole.

Capitol
    Elektra
    Mercury

Now dem dare some 60's pressings that pop.

• don't take me too seriously. i am no audiophile dickhead. i just have my opinions. that rekkid though... byrd brothers. that's the shit. oboe new age is welcome anytime.

hey, peep the back of your "sweetheart" and check out who the pedal steel player is.

Jaydee Maness

• Reprise sounds like a BM dangling from an A-Hole.

COSIGN.

Jaydee Maness

look above...L**** Gr**n...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Jaydee Maness

look above...L**** Gr**n...

Ooooohhhhh!!!

Not that these are Colubia or anything but some records sound like shit when they are mono. My Stones and Troggs mono albums sound like butt. Thumbs up to the Columbia ones though...they do sound great indeed. Electric Prunes mono...terrible sound!

All the ones I have sound really compressed or something. Most of the ones I come across have this hiss sound too. My copy of Aftermath looks mint...plays like shit.

Maybe it's a pressing issue. I thought that the first several Stones records were fake stereo. It would seem like the mono should sound better. I dunno though, all my stones are stereo...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    as i have heard it (an its semi-confirmed by the price differences you see in the guides etc) back when mono was king, mono sounded best cuz thats what they knew how to do. But some guys got into stereo, and the odd stereos were new, ignored, sounded great, and became raers. then, when stereo finally 'hit' (mid-late 60s), the monos werent as good because they were focusing on the stereo mixes and ignoring the mono. BUT the worst is the 'Electronically rechannelled for stereo" garbage where they had a perfectly good mono, and mutilated it to make a fake "stereo" mix to cash in on the stereo craze. then theres even a few late 60s titles where they did both + did both well, but shipped 90% stereo, 10% mono, and those 'late monos' are raer and sound amazing.

Also, there was a short period where some labels were doing good stero and mono mixes at the same time, and shipping 50/50%, and so the subsequent collector prices, sound quality, and desirability is about equal now. So the 'better sounding one' really depends on what format the record was 'intended' for.

co-sign on mono columbias. found a mono white label byrds Mr Tambourine Man a while back, sounds like god.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Can anybody tell me what the deal was with Fania Records? That label was evidently issuing separate mono and stereo albums well into the early seventies. Was this a tacit admission that Latin music fans hadn't upgraded their equipment yet?

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    the first few rounds of stereo for many labels were sucky.

I have copy of Blonde on Blonde that is "360 degree MONO" ha! go figure.

some of the stereos sound good though.

Three Eyes!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Can anybody tell me what the deal was with Fania Records? That label was evidently issuing separate mono and stereo albums well into the early seventies. Was this a tacit admission that Latin music fans hadn't upgraded their equipment yet?

The majors were issuing promo-only mono versions for radio stations as late as '71-72

Not sure if the Fania situation is similar though...

The majors were issuing promo-only mono versions for radio stations as late as '71-72

I always wondered about that, were the monos for AM radio?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I always wondered about that, were the monos for AM radio?

I don't even think it was a promo situation. Look at the inner sleeves for early 70's Fania releases, and you can see, under the album cover art, that they were still listing different catalog numbers for the mono and stereo releases for everything after '68. The mono albums were obviously available to the general public, if they were going to advertise it.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    [hijack]Paging THE_HOOK_UP[/b]

dude, did you know grupa had a live album an amiga?

that is all.[/hijack]