Werner Herzog

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Grizzly Man is my shit, what old Werner Herzog should i check out? It's like getting into p-funk, you know you like that shit but you don't know where you should jump in. also check out this Grizzly Man IMDB trivia:
During a BBC interview about the film, Herzog was shot with an air rifle. The interview was resumed indoors and at the end Herzog was encouraged to check his wound. Though there was "a bruise the size of a snooker ball, with a hole in it." Herzog declared "It was not a significant bullet. I am not afraid."

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Aguirre

• why are people trying to shoot a mild mannered documentarian? the interviewer alludes to other prior incidents.

grizzly man was great.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Isn't there a graemlin with this dude floating around somewhere?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Aguirre

• it's thursday night and the weekends near,
    i need to unwind where's the party
    ALL THE SOUL STRUT...night crewww

i'm going to check out that Aguirre, i am a friend of the library

also here is a link to him on Terry Gross's show this week: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12225074

• skattaskatta 48 Posts
    Just checked Mein liebster Feind last night. It's a document of the friendship between Herzog and Kinski with some really interesting behind the scenes footage of Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo etc.. Now I knew Kinski was a bit odd but had no idea he was THIS odd. Almost everyone he worked with seemed to hate him. If you liked Grizzly man you'll probably like this one too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200849/

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    cosign aguirre wrath o god but also little dieter needs to fly, my best fiend &
    stroszek

white people like grizzly man because it makes werner herzog seem like stephen spielberg

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Grizzly Man is so amazing, disturbing and beautiful at the same time. Aguirre is great, so is Fitzcarraldo. And the document he did on Kinski is

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Just checked Mein liebster Feind last night. It's a document of the friendship between Herzog and Kinski with some really interesting behind the scenes footage of Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo etc.. Now I knew Kinski was a bit odd but had no idea he was THIS odd. Almost everyone he worked with seemed to hate him. If you liked Grizzly man you'll probably like this one too.

You should also check out his auto-biography, interesting book.

• muggimuggi Reykjavík, Iceland 44 Posts
    Nosferatu

• Just checked Mein liebster Feind last night. It's a document of the friendship between Herzog and Kinski with some really interesting behind the scenes footage of Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo etc.. Now I knew Kinski was a bit odd but had no idea he was THIS odd. Almost everyone he worked with seemed to hate him. If you liked Grizzly man you'll probably like this one too.

The moment when he explains that indians proposed to kill Kinski for him in the jungle is priceless..

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Fitzcarraldo is a definite. Pretty crazy. Also....as you watch thank your lucky stars that Mick Jagger ended up having to be replaced in the film.

Grizzly Man is so amazing, disturbing and beautiful at the same time.

yeah i'm just playing, i liked it too. it was just odd walking into a blockbuster once and seeing a whole wall of grizzly man in the new releases.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the actual grizzly man kinda irritated the shit out of me but hearing about his life and werner's perspective on him really made it worth watching.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser and Lessons of Darkness are also musts.

Even Dwarfs Started Small doesn't have the best rep, but I like it a lot.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    The soundtrack to Aguirre is so good. Probably my second favorite Popol Vuh work after In den Garten Pharaos.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Aguirre is the real shit. The first minutes of the film are just blazing. I also enjoyed the Version with the comments of Herzog in the background as he tries to explain a lot of things and his relationship with Kinski. I also like his Nosferatu version, because Kinski is .

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Herzog is a director you really should check out across the course of his career as his filmaking evolves...

i dig the following:

Fitzcarraldo (esssential, also see the film he did about the filming of Fitzcarraldo) "I WILL BUILD MY OPERA HOUSE!!!"

Aguirre
    Nosferatu
    Heart of Glass (Herzog had the entire cast hypnotized for the duration of the filming)
    Mystery of Kasper Hauser
    Stroczek (too lazy to check spelling here)
    a ton more...

sure you could find a link somewhere but folks should check out an interview he did w/ terry gross on Fresh Air maybe 7 or 8 years ago... it is seriously beyond fucked. Gross can't deal w/ Herzog and i think she even ended the interview early... Herzog tells of having walked the entire length of the albanian border to prove his love to an albania girl as a teenager (granted the perimeter isn't that long)... also love his anecdote about rewarding his cast w/ a bet when filming (?????) and literally running full speed into a cactus for finishing the filming on schedule...

oh and of course, his statement that he would rather jump off the golden gate bridge than look into his eyes in the mirror...

part of it is his over-dramatic affect... but Kinski and Herzog had such volatile relationship b/c they were both nuts and possibly megalomaniacs.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    a Herzog thread and no mention of "Rescue Dawn"...his latest flick currently in theaters? It's fantastic. Christian Bale plays a vietnam soldier who gets kidnapped and eventually escapes and is rescued...based on a true story.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    also love his anecdote about rewarding his cast w/ a bet when filming Even Dwarfs Started Small (I think) and literally running full speed into a cactus for finishing the filming on schedule...

• muggimuggi Reykjavík, Iceland 44 Posts
    Herzog is a director you really should check out across the course of his career as his filmaking evolves...

i dig the following:

Fitzcarraldo (esssential, also see the film he did about the filming of Fitzcarraldo) "I WILL BUILD MY OPERA HOUSE!!!"

The documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo is Burden of dreams and is directed by Les Banks. But Werner referes to Fitzcarraldo as his best doucumentary.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Who's down with Fassbinder as well?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'll cosign anything dude does. Especially from above selection: Stroszek, Nosferatu, and Aguirre. Check for Woyzcek too.

My absolute favorite though is Cobra Verde. The last ten minutes of that movie are heavier than anything I've experienced on a screen before. This is also by far my absolute favorite piece of Popol Vuh music.

I also highly recommend Where the Green Ants Dream, and Herdsman of the Sun. Green Ants is a fictional film about aborigines and mining companies. Herdsman is a doc about some wild dudes in Africa.

Loch Ness is a great one for Herzog fanatics. Not his film, but he has a major role.
    You can also check him in Julien Donkey Boy.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Loch Ness is a great one for Herzog fanatics. Not his film, but he has a major role.
    You can also check him in Julien Donkey Boy.

I love Herzog, but I thought Incident at Loch Ness was straight dookie. Real low-level, broad, labored spoof of the kind of work Herzog is known for.

His contribution to Julien Donkey-boy worked a lot better for me (although that movie overall is a mess).

I HIGHLY recommend the interview book Herzog on Herzog. One of the best books I've read in my life, and I'm a voracious reader.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The White Diamond, is really good. I actually prefer it to Grizzly Man, which is great also, but I found the 'grizzly man' so damn annoying I didn't really care that he died by the end.

'Werner Herzog eats his shoe' is amusing, but not all that entertaining.

a Herzog thread and no mention of "Rescue Dawn"...his latest flick currently in theaters? It's fantastic. Christian Bale plays a vietnam soldier who gets kidnapped and eventually escapes and is rescued...based on a true story.

i started a thread a few weeks ago about it and it was kinda i hadn't realized it wasn't released in other cities yet

anyway, i enjoyed it. i watched Little Dieter Needs to Fly again after watching Rescue Dawn. Christian Bale got Dieter Dengler down perfectly, and seeing the real press conference footage of Dengler after was weird because i realized that bale really looks like him as a young dude.

i thought Incident at Loch Ness was corny and irritating. if you want to see a film about Herzog's personality then watch Burden of Dreams or My Best Fiend

i also forgot to mention God's Angry Man which is a short documentary he made about Dr. Gene Scott that televangelist. it's crazy intense and funny

grizzly man was the dream subject for herzog who seems to have a fetish for visionary madmen. i like that he approached the brutality of it tastefully so it wouldn't cross the line to snuff, but he didn't shy away from it either. that scene where he listens to the audio with treadwell's best friend standing by was awesome. i think i teared up in the theater. also the film was funny. it always amazes me when people talk about herzog's films hardly one ever mentions his great sense of humor. Grizzly Man was intense and there are beautiful scenes of nature and whatnot but i laughed so hard when that pilot said he thought treadwell was an idiot for acting like those were people hanging out in bearsuits. or when the best friend talks about how she met treadwell at the restaurant. or herzog feeling the need to include that treadwell tried out for woody harrelson's role on cheers.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

i thought Incident at Loch Ness was corny and irritating. if you want to see a film about Herzog's personality then watch Burden of Dreams or My Best Fiend

I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. I laughed really hard when they were talking about getting footy of the loch ness monster and that dude comes in with the remote controlled loch ness. Or the dude, "I clean my clothes with wind." Priceless.

I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously.

i know it's a parody. i'm just saying it's about herzog and his idiosyncracies. i just found it kinda hokey and smarmy with all these herzog inside jokes

• grizzly man was the dream subject for herzog who seems to have a fetish for visionary madmen. i like that he approached the brutality of it tastefully so it wouldn't cross the line to snuff, but he didn't shy away from it either. that scene where he listens to the audio with treadwell's best friend standing by was awesome. i think i teared up in the theater. also the film was funny. it always amazes me when people talk about herzog's films hardly one ever mentions his great sense of humor. Grizzly Man was intense and there are beautiful scenes of nature and whatnot but i laughed so hard when that pilot said he thought treadwell was an idiot for acting like those were people hanging out in bearsuits. or when the best friend talks about how she met treadwell at the restaurant. or herzog feeling the need to include that treadwell tried out for woody harrelson's role on cheers.

i thought the whole thing was funny, and i never really felt that bad for tredwell. the 2nd time i watched it i started to really notice how little things he did when he set up his interviews, like how the guy at the museum was standing under the bear while he was being an 'expert' and this giant bear (with a bandage over a stolen paw) was just towering over him.

I don't know if i really got strozek, but i did love the chicken on the hot plate, someone told me that elviis longtime manger "Colonel Tom Parker" was managing a dancing chicken on a hot plate before he found elvis. the music in strozek was great though.