Osaka Monaurail

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
How are these guys? They got a grip of records out, but without soundclips I'm not sure I should trust this:
Osaka?? Monaurail -- Thankful -- For What You've Done . . . CD . . . $19.99 ?? (Item:??376962)RD Records (Japan), 2005 Condition: New Copy?? Add ?? View Cart A massive bit of funk from the Japanese scene -- served up by a group with a real love for the classic sounds of James Brown! Osaka Monaurail take their name from the JB's tune "Monaurail" (also picking up the misspelling in the process!) -- and play in a JBs-styled mix of tight horns, riffing guitars, and socking funky drum bits that never seem to miss! The lead singer growls in a style that's a bit James Brown -- but which is also touched by his own approach to the lyrics, in a tone that's one of the most unusual we've ever heard from a funk band. But the real strength of the set is in its grooves -- tight, right, and perfectly done at a level that reminds us strongly of the best late 60s funk work on King Records -- but which also has a hard-vamping style that's all its own! These guys come from the other side of the globe, but we'd easily rank them right up there with the best of the Desco, Soul Fire, and Daptone generation! Titles include "Double Up Now", "Back & Alive 77", "Thankful (For What You've Done)", "Two Houses Make A Happy Home (rmx)", "Six Days Of Madness", and "Mindpower (parts 1 & 2)".
If you don't hate new funk groups across the board, weigh in plaese.

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I bought their first album from Dusty Groove and was not impressed. Very boring funk. They have a load of 45s too, but after hearing the album, I'm going to stay away from them and I'd advise the same.

I don't hate all the new funk, but they're probably the worst I've heard to date. That's my 2 cents, but I'd be surprised if anyone here likes them after hearing them.

DJ Ferrari

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I bought their first album from Dusty Groove and was not impressed. Very boring funk. They have a load of 45s too, but after hearing the album, I'm going to stay away from them and I'd advise the same.

I don't hate all the new funk, but they're probably the worst I've heard to date. That's my 2 cents, but I'd be surprised if anyone here likes them after hearing them.

So you're saying I should pick it up.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    So you're saying I should pick it up.

Oh, absolutely.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I thought the one 45 I heard by them was quite good.
    Title was "If she Leave Me (I'll Go Crazy)" or something like that.
    Unfortunately, the cost is somewhat prohibitive on dustygroove.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I love the Timmion, Daptone, Truth and Soul, Soul Fire steez and I was merely whelmed by Osaka Monaurail...very boring, the singing is kinda crap and it never falls into a pocket deep enough for me.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Unfortunately, the cost of ALL Japanese vinyl[/b] is somewhat prohibitive on dustygroove everywhere.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Unfortunately, the cost of ALL Japanese vinyl[/b] is somewhat prohibitive on dustygroove everywhere.

I know, why is it so high?...everytime I find a Boredoms LP I want, the shit is $40...ugggh

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I love the Timmion, Daptone, Truth and Soul, Soul Fire steez and I was merely whelmed[/b] by Osaka Monaurail...very boring, the singing is kinda crap and it never falls into a pocket deep enough for me.

Whelmed means the same thing as overwhelmed.
    [/grammar_nerd_moment]

I love the Timmion, Daptone, Truth and Soul, Soul Fire steez and I was merely whelmed[/b] by Osaka Monaurail...very boring, the singing is kinda crap and it never falls into a pocket deep enough for me.

[/grammar_nerd_moment]

Irregardless, I wonder if the real Osaka Monorail is inflammable.

[/grammar_nerd_moment]

Irregardless, I wonder if the real Osaka Monorail is inflammable.

Let me reiterate that.