Beat Thread

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
well, some of you might remember over a year ago when i posted the original version of this, much slower and a little different. BUT my computer crashed and all i had left was an mp3 of the unfinished session, so over the past couple days ive been recreating it from scratch and tweaking a lot of the stuff i didnt like about the original version. its clearly not done, as usual, but gimme some feedback if you want.soul 69 (part II):also now that i finally have the internet at home again, ive been wanting to check some new shit from other strutters. its good to be back, what have you all been up to music-wise?

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I like your style. it's very organic and basically hard to tell that it's not a live band. Nice work.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    thanks, i strive for that.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Sounds dope. I'm curious, how many different samples are in there? I mean, is the bassline seperate from the melody seperate from the drums seperate from the vocals etc? Sounds good. Seemless.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    this is pretty cool. I like the funky guitars and the vocal sample.

check me out at
    www.myspace.com/thelowendtheory

peace.

Sounds dope. I'm curious, how many different samples are in there? I mean, is the bassline seperate from the melody seperate from the drums seperate from the vocals etc? Sounds good. Seemless.

the main sample (piano and bass) is together, but later on i seperate the high end and low end and go places with them individually. drums are seperate, i use one break for the cymbally part and a different one after the solo when it goes to hi-hats. the heavy part in the middle there are, including various percussion elements, at least 8 or 9 samples going simultaneously.

for and idea where the vocals and horn stabs came from, check out the videos for Miss A and Mr. S here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/letterpeopleland

i of course sampled the songs from the actual letter people double-album, which has got to be one of my all-time favorite kids records ever...and i must say the show gives me some very very good funny feelings, what a fucking perfect show. i wanna make a show like this someday. check out the video for Mr. M...hes got the funkiest song on the album.

p.s. id never taken the time to actually watch letter people clips till today, but i found the record a good 4-5 years ago. does anybody actually remember watching the show? my friend had a letter people coloring book, but i dont think he knew about the show...

are people up on the record? ive only seen it once ever and its kinda been a secret squirrel of mine for a bit, but theres no reason for that shit.

very nice, definitely feelin this.

• Everything posted has been with Martin's being my favorite.

Here's something I did a few weeks back.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/27223530594e53/

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

i of course sampled the songs from the actual letter people double-album, which has got to be one of my all-time favorite kids records ever...and i must say the show gives me some very very good funny feelings, what a fucking perfect show. i wanna make a show like this someday. check out the video for Mr. M...hes got the funkiest song on the album.

p.s. id never taken the time to actually watch letter people clips till today, but i found the record a good 4-5 years ago. does anybody actually remember watching the show? my friend had a letter people coloring book, but i dont think he knew about the show...

are people up on the record? ive only seen it once ever and its kinda been a secret squirrel of mine for a bit, but theres no reason for that shit.

Ako, as an avid kids record collector for 15+ years, ive never even heard of this show till now, let alone seen the LP. So you get a gold star for quality squirrel work!

as for soul 69 #2, my only complaint is that its only a teaser clip!

since pressing my new cd in Feb., i havent had 10 minutes to actually make new muzak. So i got nuthin. But, i do have a growing pile of 200+ LPs all notated with samples to sample. which is how it always begins...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    hello peeps, heres a little groove.......

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    there's some budget beats here that aren't competing with the majority of soulstrut's output.

also, Ako - you seem to have a massive arsenal of heavy beats whenever icheck your myspace. release a record proper already!!

• Yo Ako i'm definetly feeling your stuff!

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    Need some swag?

Ako, you gots that hotness. The new versions dope, but the hihats and snare drum need to come up in the mix. ahhh choooo

there's some budget beats here that aren't competing with the majority of soulstrut's output.

whoa, dont shortchange yourself dude, you got some fuckin niiice loops on there. diggin it!

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts

That Polski beat is illll. I'd put that up against a lot of beats on here..

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I was feeling especially Lowendtheory's "Come On" (excellent) and Ako and Martin's beats. Others had some good shit too, but nothing that really grabbed me.

I was feeling especially Lowendtheory's "Come On" (excellent) and Ako and Martin's beats. Others had some good shit too, but nothing that really grabbed me.

thanks man. I got some newer joints that i need to get online so ill bump this when i get them up.

But yeah I dig martins shit every time he puts one up. And Ako is already making real world moves so the quality is there.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Luke Warm is that real...

• I like your style. it's very organic and basically hard to tell that it's not a live band.

yeah innit tho!

• this is pretty cool. I like the funky guitars and the vocal sample.

check me out at

peace.

black 2KXL's are

• MortiMorti 68 Posts
    Bufo Bufo:

• Need some swag?

Ako, you gots that hotness. The new versions dope, but the hihats and snare drum need to come up in the mix. ahhh choooo

I like your style. it's very organic and basically hard to tell that it's not a live band.

yeah innit tho!

ditto

I'm impressed at how some of you get all your shit to bind together and doesn't like half a dozen samples from as many records.... thats summit I need to work on

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Push

On some other shit. Peeeep it.

this is pretty cool. I like the funky guitars and the vocal sample.

check me out at

peace.

black 2KXL's are
    actually its like purple/green. But yeah thats my baby

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    some fly shit up in herr!
    here's raw too-bassy mixdown from a few years ago.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    lowend whew! thats some nice melodies going on. cool effects and shit.

thanks man, i use ableton live to get the shit like a rough draft mixed with effects and render and chop everything with recycle, then use the mpc to trigger the chopped soundfonts with sampler in ableton. So i got the ill delays and pretty much a full mix in abelton with the sequencing power of the mpc. Live 6 is

Morti: I like the sample but it needs a quicker switch up. And it sounds a little cluttered towards the middle. But the drums are raw.

Push: I put on honey doll and its cool. Not really my thing, like somewhat like daft punk/gorillaz thing going on. Mix is nice though.

jaymack: Shit is rugged. Bass is a little muddy but shit sounds dope. I like the horns a lot. Drums are real nice and punchy in the mix.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    daft punk/gorillaz thing going on. Mix is nice though.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i got some daily beat cuts on my page. i havent been finishin many beats lately, so i got rough drafts for days.
    some cuts

• kalakala 3,361 Posts