New music? New styles?

HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I feel a little disconnected. Has there been a new music style since the year 2000? All the new music I hear is kinda washed-out (Retro Brit Pop, half Emo half Independent, R'n'B Hop, Metal Rap Fusion).Haven't there been new styles at least every two years or so? What's the music today? R'n'B? Are there any new, upcoming styles that aren't just mash-ups of old styles? What will be the next big thing in music?

Comments

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    It??ll be on my next tape!

- J

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Post Hip Hop

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    post 2000, but already on the way down again: broken beat

best album and way ahead of everything of its time:

Pavel Kostiuk - And the Musicals [2000 black]

dego of 4 hero behind it.

• post pre[/b] 2000, but already on the way down again and still evolving and growing, but very niche: broken beat

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    What will be the next big thing in music?

Summer of 2008 will show it. Maybe there will be a revival of what happened 20 years ago in England with Acid, House, early Breakbeat and fast paced HipHop. But then, it is nothing new. But music is always evolutionary. whatever comes next, i hope it involves loud drums

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i heard some new shit the other day that made me go
    i might be too much into old shit and never checkin for new stuff so you guys might know this genre..
    basically it was like pop hits (versions) radio shit like britney spears and it was speeded way waaaay up then chopped into bits and pieces going in and out of tempo sloppy like but sounded enough imo,

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    post pre[/b] 2000, but already on the way down again and still evolving and growing, but very niche: broken beat

growing? not sales-wise. plus i dont really hear dj`s playin it out as much as back in 2002/3.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

growing? not sales-wise.

Forgive my pessimism, but is anything actually growing sales wise? And I think the bloggeurs are already over "bastard pop". I think that maybe some of the Ed Banger stuff may have an impact soon, but it's not really "new".

• growing? not sales-wise. plus i dont really hear dj`s playin it out as much as back in 2002/3.

No, not sales-wise. Broken beat was never significant sales-wise. The actual music is still evolving and growing, with more artists and more styles within the "genre." But it's still and will probably remain extremely niche, so no, you won't find many DJs playing it straight up.