Leon VS. Lamont

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
leon ware vs. lamont dozier, who you got?both have a great semi-obscure album. leon ware-s/t (UA, 72')or lamont dozier-love and beauty (invictus 73')both have a boogie/disco/modern soul track thats a smash with dj's.leon ware-"why i came to california"orlamont dozier-"going back to my roots" both did great production, had good solo albums, and did a shitload of good song writing etc...... who did ya'll pick and why?i chose lamont due to his outside productions, that dionne warwick lp is just insane. also "the picture'll never change" off "love and beauty" is one of my favorite soul songs, ever.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Hey X*vier!
    I'm a fan of both of 'em but I'm a ride for Leon Ware.
    It's funny that you posted this because I'm working on completing my
    Leon Ware collection (LPs).* It's going to be a while before get all of Lamont Dozier's LPs but I will.

*If anyone has Musical Massage, hollar at me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Definitely my man Dozier.

"Out Here On My Own" is one of my absolute
    favorite 70's soul albums, up there with Al Green's
    best and "Let's Get It On" for me ...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This VS is way better than the WAR/MANDRILL jawn. Cutting to the chase, LD for sure.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Definitely my man Dozier.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey X*vier!
    I'm a fan of both of 'em but I'm a ride for Leon Ware.
    It's funny that you posted this because I'm working on completing my
    Leon Ware collection (LPs).* It's going to be a while before get all of Lamont Dozier's LPs but I will.

*If anyone has Musical Massage, hollar at me.

check your PM's

this is a tough one, both these dudes made not just solid tracks, but solid albums, I don't think I've heard an 80's LP from Dozier that I didn't LOVE

if anybody gots a spare Leon Ware "S/T" (Elektra) lemme know

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    both great writers :

as composer I would say I like much more Leon, (Lamont use of acoustic piano and that overall kind of arrangments - you know, that "Simply red" effect- are not my favourites...)

but Leon voice is very thin and he is not very strong in "delivering" while Lamont is a way better singer and performer.....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Both dudes were talented, but I prefer Lamont Dozier as an artist than Ware, who in turn, I pick in the producer role. I think Dozier is the better of the two in terms of writing (the tie-break), so I gotta go with Dozier.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Hey,

Both dudes were talented, but I prefer Lamont Dozier as an artist than Ware, who in turn, I pick in the producer role. I think Dozier is the better of the two in terms of writing (the tie-break), so I gotta go with Dozier.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Well put. Cosine what Strider posted also; I enjoy Dozier's voice a whole lot more the Ware's
    but I'm going ride for Leon though.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Lamont Dozier, no doubt.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    are we including Lamont's Holland-Dozier-Holland output as well? if so, it's not close to being a contest. Even WITHOUT the HDH stuff it might not be a contest. I do like a lot of Ware's stuff too, though

• lamont-both as a writer and singer

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

or

• are we including Lamont's Holland-Dozier-Holland output as well? if so, it's not close to being a contest. Even WITHOUT the HDH stuff it might not be a contest. I do like a lot of Ware's stuff too, though

that's what I was thinking too. Dozier by a stretch.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I give the nod to Lamont as well. The production credits alone puts him ahead, aside from the fact that Out Here On My Own and Black Bach are a couple of my favs.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

or