reissues vs. OG

gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Does anybody else get reissues as placeholders for their collections until they dig up the OG? I think I'm going to implement this strategy instead of burning cash on ebay. What are some titles of reissues in your crates?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's all music

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Naw, I just wait for the original. It's cheaper that way. And I'm pretty patient when it comes to music- I don't really fiend to have something right away. It'll come when the time is right.

• Naw, I just wait for the original. It's cheaper that way. And I'm pretty patient when it comes to music- I don't really fiend to have something right away. It'll come when the time is right.

Spoken like a wise man. I probably need to curtail my need for instant gratification a wee bit. I know my wife is going to go off the rails when she audits the visa bill this month.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Does anybody else get reissues as placeholders for their collections until they dig up the OG? I think I'm going to implement this strategy instead of burning cash on ebay. What are some titles of reissues in your crates?

Don't tell anyone this....but I have even been known to buy ....CDs in abscence of an OG or vinyl reissue! I have even started....collecting CDs that I know I will never be able to afford the vinyl of!

Seriously though, and not being a smartass, I would rather have firsthand knowledge of the music being discussed(as in, I can hear it and access it at will) than pine away over the object of desire. I guess I am more impulsive about that than a lot of cats on this board, if past threads are any indication. As I get older, it is less about the medium, even though records are always the first choice.

• I would rather have firsthand knowledge of the music being discussed(as in, I can hear it and access it at will) than pine away over the object of desire.

SERIOUSLY...[/b] do you collect music or carboard and plastic???

• I would rather have firsthand knowledge of the music being discussed(as in, I can hear it and access it at will) than pine away over the object of desire.

The music contained in the cardboard and plastic is obviously the most important element, but you have to admit there is something tangible to owning the LP that you just don't get from a digital file.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I would rather have firsthand knowledge of the music being discussed(as in, I can hear it and access it at will) than pine away over the object of desire.

The music contained in the cardboard and plastic is obviously the most important element, but you have to admit there is something tangible to owning the LP that you just don't get from a digital file.

YEah it's sound quality... which many reissues lack.

Why buy a cheap boot when you could just download the tunes or get 'em on comps? I don't understand. The sound quality isn't there, the artist isn't getting paid, so I don't see the point.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Does anybody else get reissues as placeholders for their collections until they dig up the OG? I think I'm going to implement this strategy instead of burning cash on ebay.

You shoulda done that a long time ago.

((((GRIN))))
    I don't buy reissues as "placeholders." I don't dig buying the same shit twice, so what I get is what I get. Unless somebody fucked up the reissue, or the OG turns up cheap, or something along those lines.

I'm not saying I've NEVER bought the reissue, then the OG, but I don't make a practice out of it either.

What are some titles of reissues in your crates?

Shoot, WHERE TO BEGIN? My collection runs about 50/50 either way. Yes, I got a nice stash of original vinyl, but why pass up a well-done reissue? Good music oughta circulate!

Why buy a cheap boot when you could just download the tunes or get 'em on comps? I don't understand. The sound quality isn't there, the artist isn't getting paid, so I don't see the point.

I have been impressed by the over all sound quality of the few reissues I have bought. The only thing that does not stand up is the cheap covers. I have A and B'ed the original pressing with a reissue of a few titles and surprisingly, there was audio parody.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I would rather have firsthand knowledge of the music being discussed(as in, I can hear it and access it at will) than pine away over the object of desire.

YEah it's sound quality... which many[/b] reissues lack.

"Many" being the key word...not all, especially if you are talking about jazz sessions that may never have seen the light of day on vinyl originally, or in extremely limited quantities. And I would rather have a facsimile reissue that is well done and sounds reasonably good than just having some files on a hard drive...

Fatback and I used to have this discussion a lot, as he and I had very similar tastes but he is much more into the audio sound quality of an OG than I could ever hope or pretend to be. Maybe it is a quantity over quality issue, but I think it's ultimately a different sensibilty about exactly WHAT interests/fascinates an individual with the minutae of collecting music. Just different strokes. I am just too impatient to always wait for a clean copy of something, I wanna hear the sounds, I wanna handle the LP, real or not.

Where does it say in the memo that all reissues are gonna automatically be bootlegs? (Even though my pseudonym is Pickwick 33...) This isn't like ten years ago when most funk comps just had the track listings and nothing else. I've seen too many worthwhile repressings on the stands, in all genres. I could see if you were talking about some shady-Grady label like Collectables, but the game has been stepped up, as far as I can see.

I have been impressed by the over all sound quality of the few reissues I have bought. The only thing that does not stand up is the cheap covers. I have A and B'ed the original pressing with a reissue of a few titles and surprisingly, there was audio parody.[/b]

PARITY[/b]????

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Where does it say in the memo that all reissues are gonna automatically be bootlegs? (Even though my pseudonym is Pickwick 33...) This isn't like ten years ago when most funk comps just had the track listings and nothing else. I've seen too many worthwhile repressings on the stands, in all genres. I could see if you were talking about some shady-Grady label like Collectables, but the game has been stepped up, as far as I can see.

Honestly bro it's still way more than you seem to think. Obiously there are major label catalog reissues but I think you'd be surprised how many "raer" reissues and comps still are not legit.

As for sound quality... yeah I said "many" intentionally. Sound quality on jazz reissues is usually good.

I have been impressed by the over all sound quality of the few reissues I have bought. The only thing that does not stand up is the cheap covers. I have A and B'ed the original pressing with a reissue of a few titles and surprisingly, there was audio parody.[/b]

PARITY[/b]????

You got me professor. I meant to type parity.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    If you like jazz...These sound as good as OGs and are not bootlegs. $33 vs $500-$3000. In fact, when I do find an OG, that shit goes right on ebay.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    it's all music
    it's all music
    it's all music
    it's all music
    it's all music

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Big up!

If it's gonna get played a lot I buy it on any format I can find. If I want it just cuz it has a break or open horn or some ish I will hold out...

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

f'real. Eventually ALL mediums will be obsolete in the face of digitalization. My homegirl who is a coreographer was in LA last week, and she was telling me that all the dance and aerobics instructors out there don't even use CDs anymore - strictly iPods....

Honestly bro it's still way more than you seem to think. Obiously there are major label catalog reissues but I think you'd be surprised how many "raer" reissues and comps still are not legit.

As for sound quality... yeah I said "many" intentionally. Sound quality on jazz reissues is usually good.
    Oh, I figured there were still reissues done on the sly that no one was getting paid for. I was talking about sound quality and overall presentation.