essential albums to own to like music

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
so what albums do i need to own to be able to like music? got sabbath, what else?

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    jason mraz bitch.

i do not own his album but i really like a couple of his songs.

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Ike & Tina COME TOGETHER

Both this album and the UK press of the first Sabbath album contain versions of Crow's "Evil Woman." This cannot be a coincidence for those seeking links between essential albums to own to like music. By the way, I have about five copies of COME TOGETHER to sell or trade if anyone wants to begin liking music.

Interesting sidenote: "Evil Woman" is originally from Crow's album entitled MUSIC, which, though enjoyable, is oddly enough not an album you have to own in order to like music.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    so what albums do i need to own to be able to like music? got sabbath, what else?

I think that's the problem...you are already adhering too much to a pre-ordained-gotta-praise-this list.

I spit on your Pet Sounds and vomit on your Astral Weeks.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

You will never appreciate music more than after listening through all 4 sides of this beaut.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ike & Tina COME TOGETHER

Both this album and the UK press of the first Sabbath album contain versions of Crow's "Evil Woman." This cannot be a coincidence for those seeking links between essential albums to own to like music. By the way, I have about five copies of COME TOGETHER to sell or trade if anyone wants to begin liking music.

Interesting sidenote: "Evil Woman" is originally from Crow's album entitled MUSIC, which, though enjoyable, is oddly enough not an album you have to own in order to like music.

But it may very well be an album you have to buy and dislike, to realize you like music.

"gonna leave a mark" is some raw shit, though.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

You will never appreciate music more than after listening through all 4 sides of this beaut.

oh man. i remember one time i was at my buddies house rappin and shit in his basement. his dad had a bunch of records in a little rack. this was before i was into collecting. his dad comes down like "you wanna hear some real music?". puts this album on, and im like "holy shit, what the fuck?" haha crazy album

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I think that's the problem...you are already adhering too much to a pre-ordained-gotta-praise-this list.

that's a pretty sharp observation actually. And I think many people are like that to some degree.

that's a pretty sharp observation actually. And I think many people are like that to some degree.
    no, i adhere to good ass music, which most others usually recognize, therefore leading it to be on "lists"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Mack,

Here are some (off the dome):

-"Hutson II"-Leroy Hutson.

-"Hissing of Summer Lawns" and "Court and Spark"-Joni Mitchell.

-"Off the Wall"-Michael Jackson.

-"Giant Steps" and "My Favorite Things"-John Coltrane.

-"Ptah the El Dauod"-Alice Coltrane.

-"America Eats its Young"-Funkadelic.

-"Inspiration Information"-Shuggie Otis.

-"So Far"-Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young.

-"Legalize It" and "Wanted Dread or Alive"-Peter Tosh.

-most any Bob Marley & the Wailers (especially "Exodus", "Catch a Fire", and "Kaya").

-"Maiden Voyage"-Herbie Hancock.

-"Sketches in Spain", "Quiet Nights", and "Kind of Blue"-Miles Davis.

-"Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"-Cannonball Adderley Quintet.

-"Light Up the Night" and "Right on Time"-The Brothers Johnson.

-"Adventures in Paradise" and "Come into My Garden"-Minnie Riperton.

-"Tapestry"-Carole King.

-"John Wesley Harding"-Bob Dylan.

-"The World is a Ghetto" and "Black-Man's Burdon"-War.

-"S/T" and "Paranoid"-Black Sabbath.

-"Are You Experienced"-Jimi Hendrix.

-"S/T" and "Everything is Everything"-Donny Hathaway.

-"Last Days & Times", "Evil", and "Gratitude"-Earth, Wind, and Fire (really most of the LPs from about 1970-1979).

-"Songs in the Key of Life" and "Talking Book"-Stevie Wonder.

-"Shades of Deep Purple"-Deep Purple.

-"S/T"-Velvet Underground ft. Nico.

-most Al Green from 1969-1977.

-"First Take"-Roberta Flack.

...I'm tired, I'll stop here.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Throw out the one with the break you have and cop this instead

All you need is this and you'll have heavy metal covered

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

ikettes for life....

Throw out the one with the break you have and cop this instead

All you need is this and you'll have heavy metal covered
    have it. S/t is still better. NIB all day 'Yatches!!!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    bob marley "legend"
    if you dont like this record you are an ass. peace, stein.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I hope people were being facetious when they said that you need to own Sabbath records or even like them in order to like rock music. That really extends to any genre.

I can see the new Soul Strut fad being people who name-drop classic rock. Man, I don't care how classic "Free Bird" is -- and it is -- I'll never willingly listen to that song. I've lived in what many would consider rural Minnesota for most of my life where classic rock is king. Most of my friends listen to classic rock to this day. And while an occasional butt rock anthem makes me feel nostalgic over creating Top 100 Rock Song lists in 6th grade, this music just sounds tired after 22 years. So is it alright for me to not own these albums considering I've heard them in my room hundreds of times, in my parents' basement hundreds of times, at my friends' houses hundreds of times, in my car hundreds of times, in my friends' cars hundreds of times, over the loudspeaker during little league, at the beach, in restaurants, from passing cars, in an airplane, and even on a hayride?

• Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    these kinds of lists are largely useless. I see them in magazines and shit and I always read them like "cd's you gotta have in your collection if you wanna look cool when girls come over" and shit.

everybody likes different stuff. you know? Not to pointlessly start an argument or anything. MAtter fact disregard this post and carry on.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Its all good...

IMO the Salt Of The Earth Soul Searchers album is essential, because of Ashley's Roachclip, which is the one track you gotzta have...!!!

(Actually We The People also contains acouple of musthavers,...Its All In Your Mind and 1993 are both spiritual funk soul killers, that would be difficult to live without... (IMO)...!

peace-

• these kinds of lists are largely useless. I see them in magazines and shit and I always read them like "cd's you gotta have in your collection if you wanna look cool when girls come over" and shit.

everybody likes different stuff. you know? Not to pointlessly start an argument or anything. MAtter fact disregard this post and carry on.

Exactly. That "essential albums" list will be totally different for anybody on the planet. It totaly depends of your life and background..

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    I couldn't do without any of these:

AC/DC: Powerage LP (1978)
    AGITATION FREE: At the Cliffs of the River Rhine (1974/1998)
    v/a: Beat of the Traps LP (1991)
    BJ??RN OLSSON: Instrumental Music...to Submerge in...or Disappear Through CD (1999)
    BLACK SABBATH: Sabotage LP (1975)
    v/a: Blues Masters, Vol. 6: Blues Originals CD (1993)
    BR??SELMASCHINE: Br??selmaschine LP (1971)
    CELTIC FROST: To Mega Therion LP (1985)
    CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL: Willy and the Poorboys LP (1969)
    DAVID CROSBY: If I Could Only Remember My Name LP (1971)
    DEAD KENNEDYS: Holiday in Cambodia/Police Truck 12" (1980)
    DINOSAUR JR: Bug LP (1988)
    EXODUS: Bonded by Blood LP (1985)
    FRANK HUNTER AND HIS ORCHESTRA: White Goddess LP (1961)
    HENRY MANCINI: The Music from Peter Gunn LP (1959)
    IRON MAIDEN: The Number of the Beast LP (1982)
    JULEE CRUISE: Floating into the Night LP (1989)
    JUDAS PRIEST: Stained Class LP (1978)
    KILLDOZER: Her Mother???s Sorrow/Short Eyes 45 (1990)
    LUXURIOUS BAGS: Frayed Knots CD (1994)
    MEGADETH: Peace Sells...But Who???s Buying LP (1986)
    MERCYFUL FATE: Melissa LP (1983)
    METALLICA: Ride the Lightning LP (1984)
    THE MISFITS: Legacy of Brutality LP (1985)
    MOTORHEAD: No Remorse 2LP (1984)
    NEIL YOUNG: Decade 3LP (1977)
    OZZY OSBOURNE: Diary of a Madman LP (1981)
    ROBERT DRASNIN: Voodoo LP (1959)
    ROLLING STONES: Sticky Fingers LP (1971)
    SAMHAIN: November-Coming-Fire LP (1985)
    SHEER TERROR: Just Can't Hate Enough LP (1989)
    SLAYER: Hell Awaits (1985)
    VOIVOD: Dimension Hatross LP (1988)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    these kinds of lists are largely useless. I see them in magazines and shit and I always read them like "cd's you gotta have in your collection if you wanna look cool when girls come over" and shit.

Exactly. That "essential albums" list will be totally different for anybody on the planet. It totaly depends of your life and background..

No see that's the problem. Everyone is sitting around like, Afreaka is essential, or yeah I totally NEED Nubian Lady, or Starpoint or Bobby Paunetto or whatever.

Musical history is not totally subjective; there are albums that are important to the development of it. These albums, most of the time, are called "necessary" because, as a music fan, you need them in order to understand where it all comes from. Also they are called "necessary" because, generally, lots and lots and lots of people love them to death and they are so good that people will never stop loving them.

Carry on, but please... no more stuff like Soul Searchers! Most of these breakbeat records stink like funky turds from the Woolworth luncheonette on an Alabama summer day.

We are talking about ALBUMS that are necessary. Not records with a funky cut that you wouldn't even know about if it hadn't been looped and sampled.

We are talking about Sabbath. Curtis. Public fucking Enemy. Stop being such losers people. Get with the real. AP sent me to clear your heads. Musart.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Records i couldn't do without
    Chaka Khan -Chaka lp
    Donny Hathaway -Live
    Curtis Mayfield- live
    John Martyn-Solid Air
    Isaac Hayes-Anything before Disco
    Mandrill-The other side of town
    Patrice rushen-Lp with forget me nots on it
    Maze-featuring frankie beverly (ST)
    Pink floyd-Echoes ,Saucerful of secrets,Ummmagamma
    Betty Davis-All 3 lps
    Marlena Shaw-Live at montreux
    Grace Jones- Night clubbing
    Manuel Gottsching-E2-E4
    Miles Davis-Silent Way
    Marvin-Lets Get it on, Whats going on
    Stevie- Inner visions

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Carry on, but please... no more stuff like Soul Searchers!

there are a lot of older dc heads who would not agree with you calling we the people a break record. although they probably wouldn't know what a break record is either... but they probably would say that it is essential.

regional S>rap/S> funk?

there are a lot of older dc heads who would not agree with you calling we the people a break record. although they probably wouldn't know what a break record is either... but they probably would say that it is essential.

regional S>rap/S> funk?

I was thinking this while I wrote it... but are the old go-go heads sweating "Ashley's Roachclip"?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

regional S>rap/S> funk?

That and 'We the People' are nice 70s funk records, thru and thru.

Essential LPs? I guess it all depends on who you're talking to.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

regional S>rap/S> funk?

I was thinking this while I wrote it... but are the old go-go heads sweating "Ashley's Roachclip"?

essential Chuck go go

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

"sweating" it specifically? of course not. what sets that record apart from the rest of the soul searchers catalog to breakheads is, well the break. but let's be honest it's a pretty damn good funk record, i'm sure it's worthy of "classic chuck" status by any go-go fan with his head on straight. personally i prefer we the people, but salt... has it's place as well.

and it just brings the insanity of a thread like this to the forefront. different genres, different regions, different people all have their own essentials. it's not as black/white as "little dude status"

"sweating" it specifically? of course not. what sets that record apart from the rest of the soul searchers catalog to breakheads is, well the break. but let's be honest it's a pretty damn good funk record, i'm sure it's worthy of "classic chuck" status by any go-go fan with his head on straight. personally i prefer we the people, but salt... has it's place as well.

and it just brings the insanity of a thread like this to the forefront. different genres, different regions, different people all have their own essentials. it's not as black/white as "little dude status"

Not being a huge funk fan, I wouldn't consider it necessary by any stretch. But my definition of necessary, for anything, is kinda desert-island-ish... like, if I had to take five funk records. That wouldn't be one of them! Horses for courses I guess...

The reason I typed "sweating" was because it was mentioned above that everyone needed this record for "Ashley's Roachclip" alone. I actually wondered if that was even a notable cut (beyond being just another Chuck Brown cut) for older DC heads.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The reason I typed "sweating" was because it was mentioned above that everyone needed this record for "Ashley's Roachclip" alone. I actually wondered if that was even a notable cut (beyond being just another Chuck Brown cut) for older DC heads.

no, it's not. i didn't see the original post. i definitely don't think anyone would argue that "roachclip" is the one chuck track you "need to have". i do think that, in the district, pretty much anything in the chuck/soul searchers backacatalog would be fair game for desert island disc material. but elsewhere, probably not.