Unknown Monk-Coltrane tapes discovered

leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
from a list-serve i'm on:[Quote]I've been holding off announcing this until LC was ready, but I recentlydiscovered some unpublished, previously unknown tapes at the Library ofCongress of the Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at CarnegieHall on Nov. 29, 1957. The tapes were recorded by the Voice of Americaduring a benefit concert at Carnegie Hall. The evening consisted of anearly and late show and the Monk Quartet tapes total approx 55 mins. Thequartet includes Ahmed Abdul Malik, bass; and Shadow Wilson, drums. Otherartists on this concert include the Sonny Rollins Trio w/Wendell Marshalland Kenny Dennis, The Zoot Sims Quartet w/Chet Baker, the Dizzy GillespieOrchestra, and Ray Charles (w/Ed Blackwell, drums!). Billie Holiday wasreportedly also on this concert, but she does not appear to have beenrecorded.For those interested in such things, we have preserved these tapes bymaking high resolution digital files with appropriate metadata.Anticipating your questions, LC can not make any copies unless propercopyright clearances have been secured. I have informed both T.S. Monk andRavi Coltrane about these tapes.This reminds us, there's always more.[End Quote]