NEED help with RADIO playlist. Funky Soul/Jazz/etc

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
It's a new local grassroots style community volunteer radio project..that they refer to as a "radio revolution." Our local Malcolm X Center for Self-Determination is organizing and overseeing the Upstate, S.C. station(WMXP 95.5fm) and I spoke with the person that runs the center as well as this radio station and she said they are still in need of shows and for me to come to orientation this coming Tuesday to meet and discuss show proposals and shit pertaining to the station. From the response I got during the phone call I made today it seems like I can defintely get a show playing fitting music. Of course I want to play dope ass 60's,70's,etc funky soul/jazz/etc..you know, all the good stuff. Naturally, political based music,spoken word,and that type thing from that time period will be great and should work really well(Gil Scott,etc). A lot of the other shows will be people telling stories,talk shows,community news as well as national.I am going to make a demo playlist CD to give them to show what I have in mind..and show them I aint comin' in there on some ol' bullshit!(But I need it by Monday perferably) I know yall know the deal, so being that I NEVER got into the collecting mp3 thing(all my music is wax and currently don't have the means to record my vinyl onto my PC...and I am pretty sure I would have to play CDs for the show), I have to get busy downloading. I was thinking maybe we could get a list going in this thread of "must haves" for this "demo playlist" CD and maybe possibly even some MP3's posted here as well to get things poppin' if yall could be so kind! Also, I will DL Soulseek and maybe hook up with some of yall on there to grab some good stuff if I could.I hope this thread has a good response and some serious replies, because I would REALLY like to get this show just for fun. My city has never had a station like this and especially no station to play this type of music(besides some of the stuff that got play when it originally came out), so it would be sort of ground-breaking for this area if all works out as planned.As always, thanks to everyone who might be able to help.PS: I love SoulStut.

Comments

• hope this helps, peace

• better lue="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=973775-1a7" />

hope this helps, peace
    Yes, it does help. Keep em coming people, it's for a pretty good cause!

• just wanted to bump this thread because when I posted it late last night, I am sure a lot of people were either out partying,DJing/gigging,or sleeping. So maybe after yall drink your bloody mary this morning and kick that nasty hangover, yall can help me out. I would love to get the cd put together today. I am not asking for crazy RAERs that yall dont wanna part with..just tracks that will work for what I need them for.

pweety pwease?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• EXACTLY,Bellcity! This is perfect. Damn I wish I could just record my vinyl onto my PC, it would make this so much easier. But thanks a lot for hooking those two up...essential shit!

Syl Johnson

• woooord up..another "must have" for this thing! BTW, I just finished PMing you Bell...but it pertained to this thread and since you already posted another track in here, the PM is sort of irrelevant now. But feel free to read it anyways..I was just suggesting that even you dont want to or dont have the means to post certain tracks, a list or something of crucial songs would do. And that goes for anyone that want so to help. If you dont wanna post up tracks, listings of must haves would be great as well. Thanks again everyone! I really want to get this (volunteer) gig, just so my dumbass city/area can have a REAL station to turn there dial to and hear some of that REAL SCHITT!

Ha, I got read the pm.
    Honestly, Bambouche needs to read this thread.

After that, it's

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

This may or may not work, divshare is rather appropriate as I am a div, when it comes to technical stuff.

• DivShare File - 2-16_Respect_Yourself.mp3

DivShare File - 2-10_Be_Thankful_For_What_You_Got.mp3

I got a couple more coming, if this is the kinda stuff you're looking for.

• Damn, how you get the little player to show up in? Sorry, don't really use div much...

• Nurrmind.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Soul Searchers - 1993

Cymande - Brothers on the Slide

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Someone needs to up Can We Rap? for some local interest.

• Do you remember Malcolm

• YESSSS! Yall ARE KILLING IT RIGHT NOW! I owe you guys SO MUCH, you dont even know. I am thinking of propsing a more funky type show and maybe a more soulful type one. Who knows what'll happen. But I know they gon' be impressed when they hear the variety of quality music(that is related to the whole center/station). I can't wait!

• Someone needs to up Can We Rap? for some local interest.

• Someone needs to up Can We Rap? for some local interest.

Thanks for posting that, but Medium Dude posted it just a few posts up. he beat you to it! But again, thanks for trying!

• I definitely need to get more James in my playlists..since he is from the area and all..gotta rep the Godfather!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Free radio is the best radio!

Check the PM.

• I definitely need to get more James in my playlists..since he is from the area and all..gotta rep the Godfather!

The J.B's-Escape-Ism Pt. 1

The J.B's-Hot Pants Road

One last one, I couldn't resist, as it will work nice to introduce the Jayne Cortez piece or may fit well with some of the other themes.

From a reel-to-reel release (that's to SportCasual's mom) of poetry by Don L. Lee (aka, Haki Madhabuti) on the Broadside Voices label:

One Sided Shoot-Out[/b]

(for brothers fred hampton & mark clark,

murdered 12/4/69 by chicago police at

4:30 AM while they slept)

only a few will really understand:

it won't be yr/momma or yr/brothers & sisters or even me,

we all think that we do but we don't.

it's not new and

under all the rhetoric the seriousness is still not serious.

the national rap deliberately continues, "wipe them nigger out."

(no talk do it, no talk do it, no talk do it, notalknotalk do it)

& we.

running circleround getting caught in our own cobwebs,

in the sense old clothes, same old words, just new adjectives

we will order new buttons & posters with; "remember fred" & "rite-on mark."

& yr picture will be beautiful & manly with the deeplook/ the accusing look

to remind us

to remind us that suicide is not black

the questions will be asked 7 the answers will be the new clich??s.

but maybe,

just maybe we'll finally realize that 'revolution" to the realworld

is international 24hours a day and that 4;30 AM is like 12:00 noon,

it's just darker.

but the evil can be seen if u look in the right direction.

were the street lights out?

did they darken their faces as in combat?

did they remove their shoes to creep softer?

could u not see the whi-te of their eyes,

the whi-te of their deathfaces?

didn't yr/look-out man see them coming, coming, coming/

or did they turn into ghostdust and join the night's fog?

it was mean.

& we continue to call them "pigs' 'motherfuckas" forgetting what all

black children learn very early: "sticks & stones may break my bones

but names can never hurt me."

it was murder.

& we meet to hear the speeches/ the same, the duplicators.

they say that which is expected of them.

to be instructive or constructive is to be unpopular (like: the leaders only

sleep when there is a watchingeye)

but they say the right things at the right time, it's like a stageshow:

only the entertainers have changed

we remember bobby hutton. the same, the duplicators

the seeing eye should always see.

the night doesn't stop the stars

& or enemies scope the ways of blackness in three bad shifts a day.

in the AM their music becomes deadlier.

this is a game of dirt.

only black people play it fair.

On the pop charts side of things, someone needs to come through with Bob Dylan's 45 "George Jackson" (I have it, but I guess I don't have an mp3 of it?). I prefer the side without band accompaniment, but either side is good.

I think it would fit nicely with some of the other tunes making their way onto your CD. If only because it's nice to offer a wide range of stuff for the listener. Heavy funk tunes with dudes absolutely screaming for justice is undeniably heavy, but Julius Lester recordings about pre-dawn that were recorded pre-dawn have a hauntingly light place in this body as well.

Bob Dylan is somewhere in the middle, too.

Also, it would work nice to compliment this tune, "Jonathan", the story of George Jackson's little brother who died trying to free Soledad prisoners, as sung by Elaine Brown on her Until We're Free LP. I like subtle strings instead of screaming in this scenario.

Excerpts from the Soul & Soledad Angela Davis LP pertaining to the same subject would be nice too. I haven't digitized this LP yet. Anyone?

You could fill 6 radio shows on this subject, actually. Freedom Archives have some great recordings, including George Jackson's mother relating a story of police telling her, after the shootout that took Jonathan, "We got one of your sons, now we'll get the other", just before George Jackson was murdered.

Free Radio!