Weekly Dig Post 19th-26th of June

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Good finds.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Obviously, I can throw "face melt" icons at around 70 different records in that post, you have like 3 year's worth of digging scores in one day.

But, I will just distill it down to say holy shit on the OG Junior Parker "Driving Wheel" LP

That is one nice LP to just "come up on."

• okay, basically it was a reeeeeal good day...

these (above pic) are all stone mint.

That Clifford Brown/Max Roach record is one of my all time favorites.

Nice haul, damn.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    today i got Merit Hemmingson - Plays
    especially feelin the covers of lady madonna & soul finger...
    crappy copy though, half of the tracks got skips in em

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

hope this picture works..some dutch stuff i picked up over the weekend..

That Q65....

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Yeesh karlophone, nice haul. Daaaamn nice haul.

Last night I just stopped into my local to check it out on the way home and came up with:

Manu Dibango - Makossa Man (London)

can't go wrong with this one.

Frankie Smith - Double Dutch Bus

dizzuble dizzutch!

Ellen McIlwaine - We The People (Polydor)

Jimmy Jean!

Flora Purim - Open Up Your Eyes You Can Fly (Milestone)

Lee Gagnon - Jeremie (Opus)

finally! I live close enough to Montreal that it should have turned up by now.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Found one banger yesterday which I'm not finding much info on:

"Assalam Aleikoum Africa - Progressive and Popular Music of West Africa Volume One"
    (Antilles).
    from the liner notes:
    "A rare sampling of the popular, progressive and folk music of West Africa, centered mainly around the musically rich and creatively volatile (!) republic of the Ivory Coast."
    Groups include Francis Kinglsey & Emitais, Vincent N'Guini and Afro-Train, Albert Siassia and Martial Droubly and L'Ivoiro Star. A few of the tracks are killer afrobeat with psych guitars. A US release but why haven't I ever seen it before?

Robert Christgau even reviewed it:

Assalam Aleikoum Africa Volume One (Progressive and Popular Music of West Africa) [Antilles, 1977]
    Unlike John Storm Roberts's Africa Dances anthology, this LP and its companion come from one location--Abidjan, Ivory Coast. Thus, they're a little limited. On this one, the same musicians tend to reappear in different permutations, and their interests are more specifically "progressive" than "popular" (which can mean almost anything in a place where folk culture still thrives). That is, they like horns--great sax break on the catchy "Dogbo Zo N'Wene"--and are fascinated by electric guitars. Something called "Ode to Hendrix" is pretty remarkable, as is the title cut and much of Charles Atagana's bass playing, but the same cannot be said of "Live in Peace," which clocks in at a progressive 11:39 and supports neither its length nor its English lyric. B

Sorry I don't have a scan.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    hey Yo KArlophone... I ain't trying to blow no spots but may I ask what state you found these in?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

mr. bungle - disco volante lp + bonus 7"

Very dope mane!

if anyones interested i put an mp3 of the bonus secret chiefs (bungle sans patton) up at my (other...) blog:

http://www.cocaineblunts.com/constant/

also patton covering al green

• Noz, do you have the early Bungle tape only releases? I have the second tape, where they first started with the evil circus funk music...before that they only had out a death metal sounding tape (one with the green kinko's cover). I'm gonna transfer it to CD, let me know if you need.

Though I liked their music, those dudes were kinda joiks...at least back then.

• I was glad to finally find a copy of this LP for cheap..but it wasn't in very good condition..cover is pretty beat up vinyl looks bad but plays great..so i guess its a good DJ copy till i find a clean copy..but i aint paying no 100 euroos for it like some of these dealers here want.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

"Assalam Aleikoum Africa - Progressive and Popular Music of West Africa Volume One"
    (Antilles).
    from the liner notes:
    "A rare sampling of the popular, progressive and folk music of West Africa, centered mainly around the musically rich and creatively volatile (!) republic of the Ivory Coast."
    Groups include Francis Kinglsey & Emitais, Vincent N'Guini and Afro-Train, Albert Siassia and Martial Droubly and L'Ivoiro Star. A few of the tracks are killer afrobeat with psych guitars. A US release but why haven't I ever seen it before?

Assalam Aleikoum Africa Volume One (Progressive and Popular Music of West Africa) [Antilles, 1977]
    Unlike John Storm Roberts's Africa Dances anthology, this LP and its companion come from one location--Abidjan, Ivory Coast. Thus, they're a little limited. On this one, the same musicians tend to reappear in different permutations, and their interests are more specifically "progressive" than "popular" (which can mean almost anything in a place where folk culture still thrives). That is, they like horns--great sax break on the catchy "Dogbo Zo N'Wene"--and are fascinated by electric guitars. Something called "Ode to Hendrix" is pretty remarkable, as is the title cut and much of Charles Atagana's bass playing, but the same cannot be said of "Live in Peace," which clocks in at a progressive 11:39 and supports neither its length nor its English lyric. B

Funnily enough this LP was just featured on one o' them mp3 blogs - the Captain's Crate. Although they don't have much more information than you do.

I'm listening to 'Onguindo' right now... nice!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Noz, do you have the early Bungle tape only releases? I have the second tape, where they first started with the evil circus funk music...before that they only had out a death metal sounding tape (one with the green kinko's cover). I'm gonna transfer it to CD, let me know if you need.

i've got burns of all of em i think. let me know if you need mp3s.

Though I liked their music, those dudes were kinda joiks...at least back then.

yeah i think it's interesting how they started out making such inane immature music and eventually progressed to some of the most sophisticated music of our time. seriously, california would make brian wilson cry. if other artists in the 90s had taken quality control so seriously we'd have a lot more classic records on our hands.

did you ever get to see them perform? i never have (their last tour was with sno core and it was 18+, which i wasn't... should've gotten a fake) and i've been praying for a reunion but i seriously doubt it will happen. so i'll have to settle for fantomas and patton making farty noises performances (not that i really mind either all that much)

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

did you ever get to see them perform? i never have (their last tour was with sno core and it was 18+, which i wasn't... should've gotten a fake) and i've been praying for a reunion but i seriously doubt it will happen. so i'll have to settle for fantomas and patton making farty noises performances (not that i really mind either all that much)
    I saw them on tour for Disco Volante .... It was ill...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

(Antilles).
    from the liner notes:

Turns up with some frequency. 2 volumes. All material from 70's Cote d'Ivoire groups.

Vol. 1 is more contemporary sounds w/ many killer tunes- especially the francis kingsley and Siassa. Very nice stuff.

Vol. 2 is also great. More traditional stuff but beautiful music. One funkier tune by Moussa Doumbia that'll make your eardrums shatter with its intensity.

I'm pretty sure I have two extras of Vol. 2 and one extra of Vol. 1 that'd i'd let go for a fair price (100 euros is nuts, it's not that rare of a record) or solid trade.

• Options
    More bike proceeds from earlier today including this pleasing slice of afro/caribbean funk

The guy called me an left the message "I have records you want. Come _________", so I did.

The JA issue with instrumental break-ladened flip

Half Moon Ossie Creary Perry-ish production amongst a fast steppers rhythm. A bizarre cover.

A triple.

Dope modern soul-y version on an interesting Toronto label.

K in Canada.

P.S. YOu gettin' tired of talking about that album Ari? LISTEN people, listen.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Scored some killer hip-hop off some dude in front of Amoeba. $1 each!

AMG - Bitch Betta Have my Money 12"
    LL Cool J - Going Back to Cali 12"
    House of Pain - Fine Malt Lyrics LP

Been looking for the AMG for a while. Thought the House of Pain was a 12" and then saw it was an entire LP. LL Cool J was icing on the cake. Bought some Rolling Stones, AC DC and some funky looking stuff which I'll listen too when I get home. All for $1 each! Thank you hippie dude and thanks Amoeba for not having the sense to buy this stuff.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

P.S. YOu gettin' tired of talking about that album Ari? LISTEN people, listen.

???

I believe that would be the first time i've ever mentioned it.

and a sentence or two mentioned in response to another's inquiry.

am i missing something, or is this just another snide comment directed at me for reasons beyond my comprehension.

feel free to help me edit my speeches.

now i return to work (NRR).

• Options
    It was in no way snide, snideypants. I posted it as a find a while back and when people aksed about it, you answered jsut as you did today. I was simply commenting that if they'd paid attention last tim, explanation would not necessary.

Back tot he Turntable, K.

P.S. What would be the first snide comment of mine?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    kevin-

i apologize . i misinterpreted your comment. i'm a bit "edgy" today. perhaps in anticipation of game 7, perhaps otherwise.

you're right, i did mention this lp when you posted a find a while back.

the other snide comment, was an unprovoked comment about being a difficult chap to trade with.

apologies again.

all good,
    a.

• Options
    Oh, it was provoked alright.

, K.

P.S. Unless you're gambling, basketball is nothing to be edgy about.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    copped some killer Memphis S[/b] today, should be some more in the works soon, I hope, all of these are top shelf soul and funk...all mint unplayed promos

this one is not funk despite what the title says, it is insane proto-metal with prog tendencies loaded with moogs...crazy shit.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

All these records came from the same spot, but this one came from the fifty cent bin, and was bought mainly for the sociopathic cover art:

When I googled it, it was on a few "funny record cover" websites, for obvious reasons - but whatcha know, it actually has a dope braek on it! The other reason I spent the five dimes was because it had a cover of "Ain't No Sunshine" on it, and on the "I know, I know, I know, I know, I know" part, it's some tight drums for like 30 seconds...not open, but with the soulful backup chicks singing over it in a nice way, instead of the soap opera star from the cover...but best of all - except Crink ain't here to appreciate(?) - it's on MARINA RECORDS[/b]!!! (look lower left corner)

the other ish:

These were both in somewhat rough shape, but super cheap and they played OK. The Haystacks Balboa is off the hook when they get heavy, but they gots ta chill on the mandolin ballad tracks...

Nice clean copy of this that I had passed over my last couple of times there, but the Soul Strut Factor got my wallet out. Nice drums throughout, a few really good songs...vocals can be a bit much on some tracks, but definitely a worthwhile grab.

Same spot had an older pressing of this for real cheap marked "as is" (one track thrashed, rest fine):

...and when dude rung me up, he was like "you can just have this one..."

I love that shit.

That guy is always cool like that, he's an old school Boston head who knows his shit, is always playing good music in the store, can answer questions about most of the obscure shit I pull out, and played (and still plays) drums for Mission of Burma:

Real headz know the deal with Burma, but this guy's (Peter Prescott) own band from the late 80's-early 90's, Volcanosuns, were some ill shit too, and this album, All Night Lotus Party, is worth checking for if you're a Mission of Burma fan:

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

How's this record? looks pretty good.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    It is Carribean Music. I don't know if that is how they did disco but I like it. Not sure when it was released but it was released in New York. I am listening to it right now I will let you know more in a few minutes.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Now that's what I call service.

Thanks man!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It is Carribean Music. I don't know if that is how they did disco...

I believe it says that it's Soca music, Trinidadian/Tobagoan in nature, based on a combination of upbeat modern Calypso with elements of indigenous island rhythms.

Not disco.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I know where I can get a sealed copy of this but it ain't cheap, what does it sound like?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    FUcking dudes KILLED it this week with the digs. Jesus.