Tucson Finds

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I usually don't post "Hey look what I found" posts, but this one is a thank you to Herm.I was in Tucson for a few hours, not long enough to get roasted chicken with Herm and Karl, but long enough to hit Herm's secret flea market. Here's what I got:Gabor - Szabo RamblerAli Akbar Khan John Handy L SunramamianFranisco - Cosmic Beam Experience Hippie private press I had once before.Skatalites - African RootsJames Brown - Revolution Of The MindDon Randi - California 84Sonny Stitt At DJ Lounge and 70s reissueL Subramaniam - Spanish WaveOsamu Kitajima Face To FaceLes McCann - LayersGene Ammons - Makes It Happen Girl was selling all her possesions to pay off the stable fees so she could get her horse back.Thank You Herm, I owe you.Dan

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

James Brown - Revolution Of The Mind

Thank You Herm, I owe you.

Hint hint! Hahaha! Just kidding! Believe me, I let out a big "Doh!" when you told me you found that there. I've been lagging on that spot lately, but it sounds like you had the luck of the draw anyways considering the fact that the seller was probably just there that day. Oh well, it's better off in a fellow 'Strutters hands anyways!

Man, I REALLY hoped we could've hooked up that weekend. I had to do a last minute gig on Saturday night, so I ended up spending the afternoon getting a set together. By the time I remembered to call you, it seemed too late. Did the lovely Mother Wolf enjoyed her surprise party?

Next time you're in town, the pollo's on me! (Karl's in charge of the cerveza!)

Herm

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Can you tell me a lil more about the Franisco- cosmic beam experience lp? Where are they from and whats the instrumentation? Thanx in advance.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    Can you tell me a lil more about the Franisco- cosmic beam experience lp? Where are they from and whats the instrumentation? Thanx in advance.

I thought it was kinda wack. Some space age type folk if I remember right. I still have that somewhere. It's one dude playing a few instruments.

The super duper secret flea / swap? If it's the one I went to, that place is the bomb right there! Bootleg cd's for MILES!

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    My brother is back in Tucson from his tour over seas..I now have a reason to visit Tucson...So whats up with the super secret spot

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My brother is back in Tucson from his tour over seas..I now have a reason to visit Tucson...So whats up with the super secret spot

I called out a DC secret spot on soulstrut once and got a beat down from some DC heads, so my lips are sealed.

Dan

I called out a DC secret spot on soulstrut once and got a beat down from some DC heads, so my lips are sealed.

Dan

Na...I smell ya man... I heard Tucson is a little better for diggin' then here in Phx. I'll p'rolly just spend a weekend down there some time and peep it out. I've just never been a fan of Tucson..

James Brown - Revolution Of The Mind

Thank You Herm, I owe you.
    Did the lovely Mother Wolf enjoyed her surprise party? Herm

My mothers 80th surprise party went off great! There were no family fights all weekend! We are still planning to drive out with the dog and spend some time.

Whatch your mail box, you still on West Oahu?

Dan

You like the Rambler lp?

Tell you the truth Szabo is one of my least favorite jazz guitarists.

Dan

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I've definately had consistently better finds in Tucson than in Phoenix (noblowncover).

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I understand the whole "secret spot" thing, but in all fairness, theres NO spots that are "secret". Just cuz you came up on some things there, dont mean some dude wasnt there before you and pulled heaters years ahead of you. Its about CONSISTENCY folks

I understand the whole "secret spot" thing, but in all fairness, theres NO spots that are "secret". Just cuz you came up on some things there, dont mean some dude wasnt there before you and pulled heaters years ahead of you. Its about CONSISTENCY folks

Truth...Now where these spots at..haha

But really, It is hard to let people in on spots. I think it all just really comes down to luck. 'specially here in AZ where it seems no one had any musical taste. Boxes of Striesand and Manilow..

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

True. Not to turn this into a secret spot discussion, but why be obvious about where you dig/dug?

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts

But really, It is hard to let people in on spots. I think it all just really comes down to luck. 'specially here in AZ where it seems no one had any musical taste. Boxes of Striesand and Manilow..

And the obligatory Herb Alpert and classical in EVERY spot. I don't have spots, cause basically I just thrift store it, but I usually get lucky.

True. Not to turn this into a secret spot discussion, but why be obvious about where you dig/dug?

I ain't mad at anyone who doesn't share their spot. I respect that. It just never hurts to ask..

And the obligatory Herb Alpert and classical in EVERY spot. I don't have spots, cause basically I just thrift store it, but I usually get lucky.

Sometimes the usual Tejano come up.. My grandparents have owned a Hispanic night club in Phx for the past 20 years ago, and a couple years back I stumbled upon the old Jukebox in storage..all local 45's. Found out my grandpa had his own label...Wild shit, but no heat..

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I've just never been a fan of Tucson..
    Why is that? And Dan you bastard! Did you hit up all the thrifts and bookmans too or just the swap?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Okay, before this turns into an issue, please let it be known that I'm willing to give ANY of my SoulStrut fam the little "secret" information I may have. Shoot, I'll drive you down there if I can. (Lurkers need not apply, of course.) Bear in mind, though, I'm no "big dude" so my spots are usually of the thrift store/swap meet variety. You'll never know when you'll get lucky at those.

Herm

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    aww man, Tucson is great, I would still like it even if I wasnt holding a torch for a girl there. We were supposed to be living there, happily ever after...ugggh. Well, my loss is y'all's record gain

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    IS MAD HATTER RECORDS STILL IN BUSINESS?

Well, my loss is y'all's record gain
    You damn right! I was pretty shook when I heard you were moving to town. Just kiding (sorta ). Sorry about all that shit w/ your ex-girl.

Raj: Mad hatter closed down a couple months ago, no big loss really. That place was clened out pretty much, plus dude had weird high prices and never got new records in.

I've just never been a fan of Tucson..
    Why is that? And Dan you bastard!
    Did you hit up all the thrifts and bookmans too or just the swap?

I guess the only time I really went down there to chill was on some college frat party type shit..

I guess the only time I really went down there to chill was on some college frat party type shit..
    Well let me tall ya, that's not what Tucson is like. Thats some imported Orange County shit at the U of A.

Well let me tall ya, that's not what Tucson is like. Thats some imported Orange County shit at the U of A.

I'm not sayin' there might not be something going on, I've just never had a good time... Is there any good weeklys?

I see theres a few shows coming to Tucson. RA The Rugged man, KRS One and a few local showcases... Might check out RA

RA The Rugged man, KRS One and a few local showcases... Might check out RA
    RA's not going to Phoenix too? The spot that show is at is some weird placer I've never heard off, it's not downtown on Congress or anything it's by Ajo and Palo Verde. As for good local weeklys @ Heart 5 there is Hermie's (usually Chris too) night on Tuesdays (rare groove ish and old school mainly), theres Chris (DJ BONUS) on Mondays for current "commercial" hip-hop and then he's doing saturdays over there w/ Amril for a more exclectic mix (so I've heard). Then Chris also has a small underground hip-hop thing every 2nd, 3rd and 4th Tursday @ Vaudville. I used to do occasional Thursdays @ Congress last summer and fall but the DJ both there is total ass (down to 1 f'd up TT and a mixer w/ no crossfader and 2 glitchy ass old CDJ'd) Mostly I-poders and CD only shit there now . Then local showcases and shit/Mc battles pop off every few months. There are quite a few good local acts my favorite probably being The Greys. There's also all kionds of shit goin' on that I don't even know about, maybe Hermie will get in here and help me big up the scene a little. GOOD local rock/punk/garage/etc. scene too. All in all I like the size, slightly lower temps, culture and general vibe of Tucson way beter than the Phoenix area.

RA The Rugged man, KRS One and a few local showcases... Might check out RA
    RA's not going to Phoenix too? The spot that show is at is some weird placer I've never heard off, it's not downtown on Congress or anything it's by Ajo and Palo Verde. As for good local weeklys @ Heart 5 there is Hermie's (usually Chris too) night on Tuesdays (rare groove ish and old school mainly), theres Chris (DJ BONUS) on Mondays for current "commercial" hip-hop and then he's doing saturdays over there w/ Amril for a more exclectic mix (so I've heard). Then Chris also has a small underground hip-hop thing every 2nd, 3rd and 4th Tursday @ Vaudville. I used to do occasional Thursdays @ Congress last summer and fall but the DJ both there is total ass (down to 1 f'd up TT and a mixer w/ no crossfader and 2 glitchy ass old CDJ'd) Mostly I-poders and CD only shit there now
    . Then local showcases and shit/Mc battles pop off every few months. There are quite a few good local acts my favorite probably being The Greys. There's also all kionds of shit goin' on that I don't even know about, maybe Hermie will get in here and help me big up the scene a little. GOOD local rock/punk/garage/etc. scene too. All in all I like the size, slightly lower temps, culture and general vibe of Tucson way beter than the Phoenix area.

Sounds like there's things poppin off down there...

All in all I like the size, slightly lower temps, culture and general vibe of Tucson way beter than the Phoenix area.

Cant be hard to beat the cultural vibe in Phoenix as there is NONE whatsoever...

Truth... Phx lacks culture. Tear down and build new....