dealing with sellers who overcharge for shipping.

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
just got finished discussing with a seller his shipping fees.. 7.50$ for 2lps sent using media mail. this is his explanation when asked why he charges $5 over the actual costs:"The extra costs go towards paypal fees, ebay fees and mailers *(which are $1 each from bags unlimited)"even considering that, he's maybe hitting 2$ in costs. wtf??!as sellers, we eat the paypal & ebay fees, and chalk it up to the cost of doing business. but passing your operating expenses onto the buyer and disguising it as 'handling' is nagl imo... thoughts? how do you strut sellers handle b.i.?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

thoughts?

Take that schitt to bapt's PM inbox!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Were the costs listed in the auction description (I'm guessing that they weren't).

If it's not - you know - $4/5 over, then you basically have to eat the $ - especially if the seller is this loon.

And who is the lucky seller?

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    dealing with >brasilian< sellers who overcharge for shipping.

simple, just don't deal with them! brasilian dealers kill me with bs rates. and of course the terrible over graded records that come in a haggard box. will a Real brasilian dealer step up? i have money for that shit, but i'm not spending 1/2 on bogus shipping.

just got finished discussing with a seller his shipping fees.. 7.50$ for 2lps sent using media mail. this is his explanation when asked why he charges $5 over the actual costs:

"The extra costs go towards paypal fees, ebay fees and mailers *(which are $1 each from bags unlimited)"

In seriousness, you could direct him to those portions of the agreements he entered into with both eBay and PayPal that forbid him from passing along PayPal fees to buyers:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_payments-outside
    (4.6: "No Surcharges")

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Were the costs listed in the auction description (I'm guessing that they weren't).

no they were listed, but i was curious how he was going to explain the padded costs...

so what's the deal with 'treasures in florida'?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Execute them.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

no they were listed, but i was curious how he was going to explain the padded costs...

so what's the deal with 'treasures in florida'?

Linky-dinky. Oh, the feedback that awaits you!

Execute them.

The evidence of Dolnaldo continues to mount.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    just got finished discussing with a seller his shipping fees.. 7.50$ for 2lps sent using media mail. this is his explanation when asked why he charges $5 over the actual costs:

"The extra costs go towards paypal fees, ebay fees and mailers *(which are $1 each from bags unlimited)"

In seriousness, you could direct him to those portions of the agreements he entered into with both eBay and PayPal that forbid him from passing along PayPal fees to buyers:

nice one. just fired off another email to dude. we'll see how he responds..

• Trew, leave them negative feedbacks stating that they overcharge for shipping and they'll come crawling back to right things.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Execute them.

I believe he's just affecting the style, as Dolo
    is very much in vogue at the moment.

Execute them.

I believe he's just affecting the style, as Dolo
    is very much in vogue at the moment.

I had heard he was going to be very hot this season.

• I had heard he was going to be very hot this season.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

guy is back tracking and rationalizing like mad now, telling me i should be thankful that he didn't charge 10.50 for media mail for 2LPs..

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    Funny, I just posted here about a dude I won a t-shirt from on ebay. We both live in the same city, and he wants to charge me 10 bucks to ship it to me. I said it was too much and we both agreed to squash the sale through ebay. Found the t-shirt I wanted 2 days ago for cheaper too!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

guy is back tracking and rationalizing like mad now, telling me i should be thankful that he didn't charge 10.50 for media mail for 2LPs..

Definitely hit him with negative feedback. That shit is mega bullshit. $10 for media?

GTFOOHWTBS!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Definitely hit him with negative feedback. That shit is mega bullshit. $10 for media?

GTFOOHWTBS!

yep, it's on now. he decided to leave unpaid item strikes to boot. what gets me is that his defense thru all this is that the shipping costs were clearly stated in the listing. you can 'clearly state' all you want but that doesn't cover your ass if you're violating ebay/paypal policy...

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

GTFOOHWTBS!

yep, it's on now. he decided to leave unpaid item strikes to boot. what gets me is that his defense thru all this is that the shipping costs were clearly stated in the listing. you can 'clearly state' all you want but that doesn't cover your ass if you're violating ebay/paypal policy...

Report him to Ebay...

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

you should've fired it to paypal. they'll refund your money if you have an email from the seller stating that they're charging you. MAKE SURE YOU STILL HAVE THE BOX IT WAS SENT IN SO YOU CAN PROVE HOW MUCH THE ACTUAL COSTS ARE.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Report him to Ebay...

Yeah ... if he explicitly stated that the extra $$ goes towards ebay fees in an email to you, then you have all the evidence you need to demonstrate that he was willingly violating ebay policies.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I paid $8.50 shipping on a record last week that arrived today with $9.15 tag. I AM HELLA GETTING OVER DUDES!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I paid $8.50 shipping on a record last week that arrived today with $9.15 tag. I AM HELLA GETTING OVER DUDES!

DUDE!!!! You know what time it is...

Time to hit the thrift shop with that extra...

GRIPP AND FLIPP.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

DUDE!!!! You know what time it is...

Time to hit the thrift shop with that extra...

GRIPP AND FLIPP.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    A seller is attempting to tell me that he must charge $8.50 to ship one LP because he pays $2.50 for his special padded envelopes. The LP cost $5.99. Our emails are as follows:

Me:

Hello. Would you please send this LP via Media Mail? I assume that
    your listed shipping rate is for an expedited service. Considering
    the low ending price of the item, I'm willing to wait an extra week
    or so. I will wait for you to respond. Thank you.

Him:

i do not send 1 album media mail, i've had problems in the past.

Me:

Sir or madam: I will assume all responsibility for a record shipped media mail with delivery comfirmation. Frankly: I do not want to pay twice the standard $4-4.50 cost for shipping this common LP to me, even with the recent postal rate hike. You can also understand why I am reticent to pay $8.50 when the LP itself was won at less than $6. I am not angry at you and will not be unreasonable, but I would like a cheaper shipping option for this LP, please. I'm sure that we can come to an understanding in this matter.

Him:

Dear Sir or Mam,
    As I stated before, I will not mail one LP by way of media mail. As I explained to you earlier I've had problems in the past with media when shipping just one LP. I've sold LP's for less then you won yours for and never had a problem with the winner paying for shipping. The padded envelopes I use cost me $2.50 each.

What a fellow.

• Padded... what a joke!! some of these fooz need a reality check!!! who wants an lp mailed in a padded envelope with no strength protection regardless of media mail tell him shove that thing up his @ss, damn almost worse than those piece of crap mailers the united kingdom guys try and use! I always hit them with a message about being a weak seller with bustedazz shipping supplies.