is this a scam

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
i got this in my email box today, any other DJays see this one?
hello,how is business over thereMy name is ********* ******** I am presently in the UK here i work as avideographer & Priest.[/b]The reason why i am contacting you is that my wife ******** will beCelibrating her 40th Birthday Party soon, precisely on the *** Of june(**nd or **rd or **th)2007,please check your avalability for this date becouse I will like you totake care of the Music aspect of the event.I came across your profile and am impressed with yourservices,experience,your kind of music of course is okay by me.The venue address of the event is ****************************We are expecting about 80-100 guest & its going to be an indoor party.The party starts 12pm-5pm according to our program of the event.You are to start performing when it is 1pm till the end of the party.There will no be any dance [/b]from guest nor familly for any reason whatweonly need from you is for you to just give us interesting music.All expenses would be taken care of by me;Please I want the bestservice from you, because she is my only wife [/b]& i love her so much.So your best production is needed at this occasion.Pls Let me know your CHARGES to work for 4 Hours on that day,1pm -5pmwhen the event will be ending,moreso let me know how you plan tomove down here with your electronics?I will want to put it to your notice that i will take care of yourhotel only if requested from you,please let me know how many of youwill be comming for this event?I hope to read from you soon & also to have your service QUOTEwhich will only include your travel,feeding, and your service fee.I look forward to your response and also your price package so thati can make quick arrangement of paying you a deposit payment sothat you can book my wife event on your calendar.Pls email me back asap.Best Regards
is it or

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i got this in my email box today, any other DJays see this one?

hello,
    how is business over there
    My name is ********* ******** I am presently in the UK here i work as a
    videographer & Priest.[/b]
    The reason why i am contacting you is that my wife ******** will be
    Celibrating her 40th Birthday Party soon, precisely on the *** Of june(**nd or **rd or **th)
    2007,please check your avalability for this date becouse I will like
    you to
    take care of the Music aspect of the event.
    I came across your profile and am impressed with your
    services,experience,your kind of music of course is okay by me.
    The venue address of the event is ****************************
    We are expecting about 80-100 guest & its going to be an indoor party.
    The party starts 12pm-5pm according to our program of the event.
    You are to start performing when it is 1pm till the end of the party.
    There will no be any dance [/b]from guest nor familly for any reason what
    we
    only need from you is for you to just give us interesting music.
    All expenses would be taken care of by me;Please I want the best
    service from you, because she is my only wife [/b]& i love her so much.
    So your best production is needed at this occasion.
    Pls Let me know your CHARGES to work for 4 Hours on that day,1pm -5pm
    when the event will be ending,moreso let me know how you plan to
    move down here with your electronics?
    I will want to put it to your notice that i will take care of your
    hotel only if requested from you,please let me know how many of you
    will be comming for this event?
    I hope to read from you soon & also to have your service QUOTE
    which will only include your travel,feeding, and your service fee.
    I look forward to your response and also your price package so that
    i can make quick arrangement of paying you a deposit payment so
    that you can book my wife event on your calendar.

Pls email me back asap.
    Best Regards

is it or

don't how it could be a scam, he's not asking for any money from you. the bad english is suspect but it could very well be his 2nd language.

BOOK THE WIFE EVENT SON!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    "scam" sounds like somebody taking advantage of you in some way. this looks more to me like they are interested in hiring you and would like to know what you charge for your services. i would start worrying if he wants to pay you with nigerian travelers checks. peace, stein. . .

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm thinking the "scam" part kicks in if/when you respond. Watch out for the overpayment scam in particular.

• i didn't know what it was called, but that "overpayment scam" is what i'll be watching out for. something seems odd about the whole thing to me.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    This is so obviously a scam that I'm genuinely surprised that any of you dudes would consider its validity for even a second.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    This is so obviously a scam that I'm genuinely surprised that any of you dudes would consider its validity for even a second.
    okay. . .yes it is a scam. and the dead giveaway is that the dude is a priest!
    peace, stein. . .

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

plaese to elaborate. there's really no way to tell until beatgoes sends off a contract and priestie responds, at least that what i thought...

plaese to elaborate. there's really no way to tell until beatgoes sends off a contract and priestie responds, at least that what i thought...

The content, the syntax, the complete disconnection from reality, it all reeks of a textbook scam letter. It really doesn't matter what sort of scam they're running, foreign videographer/priests don't hire soul/funk DJs and put them up in hotels for their wives 40th birthday party where nobody will be dancing. If this guy knows how to find a DJ through myspace (presumably how he found the OP), then he knows how to work a CD player.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i didn't know what it was called, but that "overpayment scam" is what i'll be watching out for. something seems odd about the whole thing to me.

hmm. twoply has me wondering now. please bump the thread as updates arrive...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Just for everyonbe's future reference:

"I work as a priest" + any reference to your (soon to be or current) wife = scam

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The content, the syntax, the complete disconnection from reality, it all reeks of a textbook scam letter. It really doesn't matter what sort of scam they're running, foreign videographer/priests don't hire soul/funk DJs and put them up in hotels for their wives 40th birthday party where nobody will be dancing. If this guy knows how to find a DJ through myspace (presumably how he found the OP), then he knows how to work a CD player.

Yeap.

Is he local? Is the party in some local where djs are plentiful, like London? He gave you the location of the party? Call them up and see if he has the room reserved.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    so can anyone explain what the scam entails

Many scams start with getting you to reply. Thats the hook. Then they start reeling you in.

I had a scam start with an email that asked "did you get my check for your product I want to buy?". I eventually received the check which said "Authentic check" right on it so I knew it was good...

• i emailed the guy back just to clarify what day he was talking about, he mentioned 3 and i'm booked for 2 of those dates anyways. i'll proceed with extreme caution and update the strut with any developments.

the location is a town about a half an hour from where I live so if he really knew the area he'd know that i wouldn't need a hotel. also 100% of my bookings are done via phone calls or in person meetings, no one randomly emails me because of my myspace page...it's just me DJaying topless with a heart drawn on my chest (it was valentines day)

I will be interested to know how this unfolds b/w let me know at which point during the proceeding you get robbed

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    DJaying topless with a heart drawn on my chest

HOT

...although as one R*bert Z*lla can attest, I prefer a cardigan and at least one Honeycrisp.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Seriously--there is no question whatsoever that this is a scam, and the naivete on this board is kind of shocking. I wonder how many of these dudes believe themselves to have been contacted by Sani Abacha's widow in connection with several million dollars that she needs to transfer out of Nigeria on the hush.

Faux, if they still sending the emails out, people are stil falling for it!

• jonblackjonblack 55 Posts
    yeah, I have seen (almost word for word) this exact invite before on another board.
    I can't for the life of me remember where or what the upshot of it was though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Of course--I'm just surprised that any of the (mostly) young and presumably internet savvy people on this board would.

This is the type of schitt that your 70 year old aunt who thinks forwarding patriotic chain e-mails is acceptable e-mail etiquette falls for.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Of course--I'm just surprised that any of the (mostly) young and presumably internet savvy people on this board would.

This is the type of schitt that your 70 year old aunt who thinks forwarding patriotic chain e-mails is acceptable e-mail etiquette falls for.

I'd thought that the days of chain letters died along with phonebooth stuffing and coonskin caps, but I suppose that some fool mothers actually (sigh) hand this shit down to their fool daughters - and sometimes, fool sons. Witness the disturbing regularity with which "There are 10 angels..." shudderfests invade otherwise wonderful, accepting, and wholly enlightening YouTube comments sections.

As 'yall were.

• here's the overpayment scam

hi ***************
    thanks for the prompt responce and all you have in mind for my
    wifes party.i think your fee total ***** and i think the **th will be perfect.will like to let you know that your fee is ok by me and am ready to pay 50%upfront .i will like to let you know that an associate of mine will be footing the bill for music,food and drinks and will do so by
    check and to do this i will need you info as follows;
    1)name as to appear on check
    2)address to which check is mailed
    3)phone number
    i will also like to let you knoiw that he will send you a check containing the fee of all and you cash and deposit in your account and transfer the remaining to the caterer in charge of food and drinks.i will expect your prompt reply asap.thanks

let this be a warning to the rest of you out there.

now my question is there anyway for me to fuck with this guy or should i just cut off communication and move on with my life

• oh and because this IS a scam let me paste the original email so you can see dudes name

hello,
    how is business over there
    My name is DIPSON KOIKI I am presently in the UK here i work as a
    videographer & Priest.
    The reason why i am contacting you is that my wife sharron will be
    Celibrating her 40th Birthday Party soon, precisely on the 3rd Of june(22nd or 23rd or 24th)
    2007,please check your avalability for this date becouse I will like
    you to
    take care of the Music aspect of the event.
    I came across your profile and am impressed with your
    services,experience,your kind of music of course is okay by me.
    The venue address of the event is 207 east 2nd street ,CARBONDALE OH 45717
    We are expecting about 80-100 guest & its going to be an indoor party.
    The party starts 12pm-5pm according to our program of the event.
    You are to start performing when it is 1pm till the end of the party.
    There will no be any dance from guest nor familly for any reason what
    we
    only need from you is for you to just give us interesting music.
    All expenses would be taken care of by me;Please I want the best
    service from you, because she is my only wife & i love her so much.
    So your best production is needed at this occasion.
    Pls Let me know your CHARGES to work for 4 Hours on that day,1pm -5pm
    when the event will be ending,moreso let me know how you plan to
    move down here with your electronics?
    I will want to put it to your notice that i will take care of your
    hotel only if requested from you,please let me know how many of you
    will be comming for this event?
    I hope to read from you soon & also to have your service QUOTE
    which will only include your travel,feeding, and your service fee.
    I look forward to your response and also your price package so that
    i can make quick arrangement of paying you a deposit payment so
    that you can book my wife event on your calendar.

Pls email me back asap.
    Best Regards

with the help of google maps i could not find anything at the address he gave me...stay away from DIPSON KOIKI

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I'm guessing it's a variant on the usual scam where you are "overpaid" and are asked to send back the overspend, except that the original cash transfer from them to you is then reversed (yes, this can be done) so they end up with your money and theirs.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    I wonder if you can scam them back if you open an account with very little money in it, send the details to the scammer,
    transfer all of the overpaid money out of the account as soon as it lands, then close the account. Do they have a scambusterbuster?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

now my question is there anyway for me to fuck with this guy or should i just cut off communication and move on with my life

using a fake name/tele, get the check and never deposit it, then tell him it bounced and he needs to pony up a 150$ bank fee (in cash) in order to get his 50% deposit refunded..

that or tell him you only take post office money orders. that should shut him down...

DIPSON!

I'd go with option two.

here's the overpayment scam

hi ***************
    thanks for the prompt responce and all you have in mind for my
    wifes party.i think your fee total ***** and i think the **th will be perfect.will like to let you know that your fee is ok by me and am ready to pay 50%upfront .i will like to let you know that an associate of mine will be footing the bill for music,food and drinks and will do so by
    check and to do this i will need you info as follows;
    1)name as to appear on check
    2)address to which check is mailed
    3)phone number
    i will also like to let you knoiw that he will send you a check containing the fee of all and you cash and deposit in your account and transfer the remaining to the caterer in charge of food and drinks.i will expect your prompt reply asap.thanks

let this be a warning to the rest of you out there.

Somewhere on the internet there is a community of people who string the scammers along until they can get face to face meetings. Then they snap a picture and post it on the net. The more hoops they can get the scammers to jump through without losing them the more love they receive.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts

Somewhere on the internet there is a community of people who string the scammers along until they can get face to face meetings. Then they snap a picture and post it on the net. The more hoops they can get the scammers to jump through without losing them the more love they receive.

http://www.419eater.com/

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    speak of the devil! just received this scam.. gotta give em props for changing up their game. (beware: this is a long read. if you're short on time, bottom line is it's a scam)

====================
    CHRISTIAN CHILDREN FUNDS(BENIN REPUBLIC)
    20/22 MISSEBO ROAD
    COTONOU
    BENIN REPUBLIC
    Dr.Dean Murray
    CCF President(Benin Republic)
    Email: [email]dean_adamskids@yahoo.com[/email]

Hello,

How do you do?

My name is Dean Murray, CCF President(Benin Republic) and I would be
    interested in offering you a part-time paying job in which you could
    earn a lot.

This job would be based on contract and commission terms, it is a
    part-time job and it would involve quite a handful of trust and
    honesty, If you would be interested in including a good-paying, part
    time job to your daily list of activities and earning up to $2000.

I will just take time to make this explanatory enough so you could
    understand what the job entails, before I go further I thought I'd
    inform you of both who you would be working for and what you would be
    doing.

As I have previously informed you, my name is Dean Murray, 35 years of
    age, 2 kids, a lovely girl and a troublesome boy, and the love of my
    life, my Wife, Tracy.

I am a somewhat multitalented man and I do quite a lot of traveling and
    get to meet quite a lot of people who need my services.

CCF render helps and supports on humanitarian services pretty much on
    orphanage homes , less privileged scholarship and giving proper
    education on child abuse, sex education and subsidized medical for good
    health most especially in the developing world .

I reside in London, England even as I have lived most of my life in
    other parts of the world, I fully reside in London though I get to do a
    lot of traveling.

Too many of the world's children suffer the debilitating effects of
    poverty and violence.Children have the right to experience life with as
    much joy and hope as possible.

Christian Children's Fund creates an environment of hope and respect for
    children in need in which they have opportunities to achieve their full
    potential, and provides children, families and communities with
    practical tools for positive change.

Three billion people live in poverty around the world and half of them
    are children.

Children are the most vulnerable, and so they are the barometer of how
    the world deals with this major issue. If you want to see what the
    world is really doing about global poverty, look at the children. And
    since children tell us the most about the future, that says a lot about
    the world's future.

That's important to me and is one of the reasons I was attracted to CCF.
    One of our biggest challenges for the future is how we can effectively
    address the root causes of poverty.

Presently, the foundation (CCF) was granted a funding to head a charity
    support project in the tropical regions of West Africa regarding
    Poverty Alleviation , counseling on the HIV/AIDS which is increasing at
    an alarming rate and provision of basic amenities in support to
    humanitarian services to the third world nations and this would be
    commencing very soon.

However , our funding were by my American counterparts and they mostly
    come in US based Money Orders and sometimes Cashiers Checks.

Getting an accountant in the states or opening an account would have
    been my best choice but I have a deadline to meet and taking any of
    those choices would cost me time and a whole lot of other requirements
    I am not ready to deal with as I would be traveling a lot in the
    meantime.

So presently, assuming you would be able to deal with cash, I would be
    willing to employ you on contract basis to be my payment representative
    back in the states

I would be issuing and mailing over money orders/cashiers checks to you,
    which would be issued out in your name and sent over through a reputable
    courier service. I received these money orders/cashiers checks as
    funding for an upcoming charity support project I am to head in the
    tropical regions of West Africa.

So once you get them in the mail, you would be cashing them at your
    bank, deducting ten percent (10%) of the total amount cashed as
    commission to the great effort you are rendering to help build the
    third world and any other transfer charges incurred during the
    transaction.

The rest fund would be wired to me via Western Union to wherever I might
    be at that point in time (West Africa presumably because I have to make
    my trip in the new week).

Bear it in mind that we would be dealing with quite a handful of cash
    and you could be making good money working with me in a short period of
    time.

If you do accept my proposal and intend to be part of this life saving
    program, please fully fill the employment form, I included it in the
    mail, it's self explanatory, just so I know who and where I would be
    making my payments out to.

You could just send me the following details to my personal
    Email;dean_adamskids@yahoo.com

1) YOUR FULL
    NAMES....................................................................

2) YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS(NOT
    P.O.BOX)..................................................................

3) YOUR PHONE NUMBER(S)...................................

4) SEX..........

5) AGE/NATIONALITY..................................

Do provide an address where you will be able to sign for the collection
    of the payment.

I'll expect your reply ASAP so i can commence with you and thanks for
    being part of the life saving family.
    Thank You and God Bless.

Dr.Dean Murray
    CCF President(Benin Republic)
    ?2007 Christian Children's Fund
    ..........A member of ChildFund International
    Email: [email]dean_adamskids@yahoo.com[/email]
    =========================================