Favourite Blue Note

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I dont know if there has been a post on this before but I just want to know all of your favourite Blue Note albums. I know I just recently did a post on Black Jazz but this label is worth making a 2nd post over. Blue Note holds a really special place in my collection and most of the older stuff they put out was just classic. So, what is YOUR favourite blue note album? I cant say for me, too many good ones.

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Horace Silver - Song for my father

Eric Dolphy - Out to lunch

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    eric dolphy - "out to lunch" is definately one of my favourites.
    donald byrd with voices is also killer, reuben wilson, jutta hip, freddie hubbard, .. there`s tons of good blue notes.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    that question is impossible, so many great ones.....Who else is feeling that Dolphy by the way?
    I found the original deep groove of this years ago and the sound is just amazing. If you play this real loud it sounds like Tony Williams is sitting right in your livingroom.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Shit, this is impossible. Bluenote has albums in so many styles with so many great artists.

• Horace Silver - Song for my father

Eric Dolphy - Out to lunch

That's basically my list plus:

Also, the Blue Note cd reissue of this with extra tracks is pretty fresh...

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

What a beautiful record. Anyone have this for sale or trade? Not picky, I am open to anything in decent shape, OG, Liberty, 70s press,80s Japanese press, 90s US quality reissue. PM me.

Too hard to pick a fave, but this one is easily among the best of the best

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Dare I Say:

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

and Out to Lunch

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    no way I could just pick one!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This one still does it for me, one of the few records I can never imagine getting tired off:

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    impossible to pick a fave.. but some personal enjoyment ones:

always come back to this.. "I Have A Dream."

for.. personal.. reasons..

one of the first funky records I ever heard. Lp that changed my life. (tm)

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Dare I Say:

it does it for me anyway!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Dare I Say:

That's a fave of mine as well.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    2 of my favorite bobby joints:

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Larry Young - "Unity"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dare I Say:

it does it for me anyway!

amen. Its hard to say its the best. But it goes up there. I have this on my comp. Ill need to get it on vinyl.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

or Out To Lunch or Ethiopian Knights or a ton more really, tough question...

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Favourite today:

+ later Gene Harris / Minzel co-labs

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    Impossible question...I like everyone's answers...

so let me add on..

Bobbi Humphrey- Blacks and Blues LP
    Bobbi Humphrey- Satin Doll LP
    Andrew Hill- Lift Every Voice LP
    Bobby Hutcherson- San Francisco LP
    Bobby Hutherson- Montara LP

too too many.....

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I'd have to say

Personal Classic....

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Where are all the Blue Note haters? There was a similar thread not so long ago where there were some negatives being spun about this label by several people. I was not one of them though, probably my all time favorite label.

• faded_gloryfaded_glory 421 Posts

hell yeah boy ... i was so excited to find a nice OG copy of this (and the money jungle, actually) in st louis on my way up to new york. great great album. i havent listened to these in several years, but back in the day i was enamored with

although i did have a much bigger appetite/tolerance for avant shit back then

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts

Grachan....

• This album qualifies as noise pollution.

"Juju" and "Maiden Voyage" are my favorites. I can't stand most of those late-60s to early-70s "funky" jazz, organ-burner, sellout albums. Love those Mizell albums, even though they were the biggest sellout records of them all!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    OG copy of this (and the money jungle, actually)

I want to clear something up - I know I've asked this before but might as well confirm. What is the true original version of Money Jungle? The Solid State release with the illustrated cover or the Blue Note with the photograph cover? Didn't blue note swallow up SS and if so, would that mean the SS version of Money Jungle is actually the original? Every time I search for pics or see people post pics of Money Jungle, it's always the photo cover on blue note, I never see the illustrated Solid State cover.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    a few ones that come to mind right away are...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Bobbi Humphrey- Satin Doll LP

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    OG copy of this (and the money jungle, actually)

I want to clear something up - I know I've asked this before but might as well confirm. What is the true original version of Money Jungle? The Solid State release with the illustrated cover or the Blue Note with the photograph cover? Didn't blue note swallow up SS and if so, would that mean the SS version of Money Jungle is actually the original? Every time I search for pics or see people post pics of Money Jungle, it's always the photo cover on blue note, I never see the illustrated Solid State cover.
    I think I remember we came to the opinion that the SS is OG & BN is later.