Unreleased Archie Whitewater (and other FANTASIES)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
A while ago someone posted a link to the tapes of the unrelease Archie Whitewater second album. I was listening to this today and was thinking about if there's been any progress on this seeing a proper release. Who was it that posted that anyway? It was someone who said theire cousin worked in the studio it was recorded in. This is a great album. Too bad there's no song titles. Really good shit.Speaking of unreleased stuff... what ever came of the Unreleased Fred Wesley & The JBs People LP? Was this bought up by some collector who is now just sitting on it? I remember bidding on it, and now that I look back at it I would have gladly paid the winning price for it. I'm just really interested in hearing this music, or at the very least, hearing ABOUT what happened with it.The only thing other than this record that I would really love to know about is whether or not there actually is anything recorded by The Mynabirds, or any of the crazy old Rick James Motown demo stuff. I mean, it's mythical, but does it actually exist?Any other crazy stories out there about mythical records that actually exist? Anything that's super crazy out there? Unreleased Miles Davis with Jimi Hendrix tapes? Was the "alternate takes" VU acetate a fluke? Just makes you think about what COULD be out there, you know.

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Ayyyyyy... thanks for reminding me about this Archie album, Talented. Forgot I had this on my hard drive. Listening to it now, this schitt is pretty

I can see why it went unreleased though. No club bangers

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    possible to post up audio of this?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Archie Whitewater Club Bangers" - That's that real shit, Phill.

"Put your HANDS UP! Put your HANDS UP! If you wanna go CROSS COUNTRY, lemme hear you say HOOOOO! Hit me with the TROMBONES..."[/b]

• someone posted an unreleased archie whitewater album? any chance for a repost? i need to hear it. archie whitewater is still one of my favorite records!

i'd really appreciate a repost...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    All you late pass dudes looking for a re-up could just try
    searching the forums first - the original link is still active
    from the original thread ...

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post776823

• All you late pass dudes looking for a re-up could just try

thanks mayne... it's 3 AMover here. my eyes don't work anymore.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey man,

I'm not opposed to reposting it, but I think we should wait for whomever it was who originally posted it to give the go-ahead. Basically it was his cousin or his brother who worked at a studio, and they found the tapes, and he posted it up. Then there was talk and I think he was going to try and put it out. So, while I'm fully cool with posting it up, I just don't want to step on homie's toes, especially with something of this magnitude. Dig me?

But I DEFINITELY want to find out more about the record, or like I said at the very least what's going on with it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well okay then, there you go...

• Options
    Thanks to Paycheck for burning this for me right around New Years, it got a lot of run at my house through the winter.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Unreleased Miles Davis with Jimi Hendrix tapes?

According to the book "Black Gold" the Miles/Hendrix tapes (particularly one jam session) have surfaced numerous times, but to no avail it has always came up empty with someonelse playin' trumpet other than Miles, they are out there,and are documented just no one wants to give em' up, I don't think I would either.

• [quoteSpeaking of unreleased stuff... what ever came of the Unreleased Fred Wesley & The JBs People LP? Was this bought up by some collector who is now just sitting on it? I remember bidding on it, and now that I look back at it I would have gladly paid the winning price for it. I'm just really interested in hearing this music, or at the very least, hearing ABOUT what happened with it.

jb's doin "use me" to death? yes please, i would like that in my life.

whoever got it, fess up.

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts
    Hey, appreciate the courtesy and such. Feel free to repost the album as you would. I'd do so myself, but my connection has a tendency to freeze up.

As for the progress towards a proper release, seems to be slow moving.

I Put Egon in contact with my cousin; I know they talked about it once, but my cousin hasn't heard back since (at least not as of Easter, the last time I saw him).

Perhaps Egon ran into trouble clearing the album for release, I'm not sure; he definitely expressed an interest.

• [quoteSpeaking of unreleased stuff... what ever came of the Unreleased Fred Wesley & The JBs People LP? Was this bought up by some collector who is now just sitting on it? I remember bidding on it, and now that I look back at it I would have gladly paid the winning price for it. I'm just really interested in hearing this music, or at the very least, hearing ABOUT what happened with it.

whoever got it, fess up.
    "Use Me"
    From the Verve "Move to Groove" jazz funk comp cd:

"Watermelon Man"
    From the "Funky Good Time" JBs anthology:

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Speaking of unreleased stuff... what ever came of the Unreleased Fred Wesley & The JBs People LP? Was this bought up by some collector who is now just sitting on it? I remember bidding on it, and now that I look back at it I would have gladly paid the winning price for it. I'm just really interested in hearing this music, or at the very least, hearing ABOUT what happened with it.

I'm really surprised that this didn't go higher. Not the kind of money I have to be spending but when dudes are dropping $500 on college jazz records & beat up Northern Soul 45s you'd think that this would fetch at least a few G's. I'd love to hear it/the story as well.

• thank you.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

Both "Use Me" and "Watermelon Man" are available on an OG French Polydor 45 with picture sleeve.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Both "Use Me" and "Watermelon Man" are available on an OG French Polydor 45 with picture sleeve.

and the sleeve is pretty cool, too

• I have a vague recollection who has the unreleased JB album....

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Well done, do you want a medal?

• nah a kiss would do

I'll come over to B*****L and get it now

• SoulOnIce said:
    All you late pass dudes looking for a re-up could just try

been a couple of years and now that link dosent work heh.. i just noticed that this was posted before this leaked http://psychadilsnik.blogspot.se/2009/08/archie-whitewater-unreleased-material.html so i was just wondering, if any of y'all are still active, are you talking about another demo?? and if so, where can i find it?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I didn't know the lost album existed. I haven't taken the opportunity to listen to it yet, but I found this track on youtube.

• heres another nice one...

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    man, I hope this gets released. with those 'unreleased cadet concept' graphics too, well good. got it burned a while ago (thanks to soulstrut) and some of it is sublime.

the self titled album needs a proper reissue as well. the RPM one is not nice

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    that track 'New England' is on the demo/unreleased stuff

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    From what I can tell by these utubes, there is only one Archie Whitewater unreleased 'lp'. It was upped here by a guy who was the cousin of someone in the band iirc, but this was way back 2006 maybe? Seeing as nothing ever came of it being issued, I seriously doubt it's ever going to see light of day.

This "compiled by Musk" thing is just bs. He just took the version shared here, made up the track names, made a cover and put his name to it.

• Okem said:
    From what I can tell by these utubes, there is only one Archie Whitewater unreleased 'lp'. It was upped here by a guy who was the cousin of someone in the band iirc, but this was way back 2006 maybe? Seeing as nothing ever came of it being issued, I seriously doubt it's ever going to see light of day.

This "compiled by Musk" thing is just bs. He just took the version shared here, made up the track names, made a cover and put his name to it.
    okay thanks for the info man!

Rishan said:
    Wait, what do you mean? "New England" is uploaded by someone in the band's son, I can't find it anywhere on the net, is it availbale somewhere?

• Cosmo said:
    A while ago someone posted a link to the tapes of the unrelease Archie Whitewater second album. I was listening to this today and was thinking about if there's been any progress on this seeing a proper release. Who was it that posted that anyway? It was someone who said theire cousin worked in the studio it was recorded in.

This is a great album. Too bad there's no song titles. Really good shit.

Speaking of unreleased stuff... what ever came of the Unreleased Fred Wesley & The JBs People LP? Was this bought up by some collector who is now just sitting on it? I remember bidding on it, and now that I look back at it I would have gladly paid the winning price for it. I'm just really interested in hearing this music, or at the very least, hearing ABOUT what happened with it.

The only thing other than this record that I would really love to know about is whether or not there actually is anything recorded by The Mynabirds, or any of the crazy old Rick James Motown demo stuff. I mean, it's mythical, but does it actually exist?

Any other crazy stories out there about mythical records that actually exist? Anything that's super crazy out there? Unreleased Miles Davis with Jimi Hendrix tapes? Was the "alternate takes" VU acetate a fluke? Just makes you think about what COULD be out there, you know.

That Fred Wesley stuff was released on Cd. Only one copy for Sale on Discogs right now. I don't need It but for those who want It:
    http://www.discogs.com/JBs-Fred-Wesley-The-Lost-Album-Featuring-Watermelon-Man/release/3454429

That 3rd HE3 lp that was recently released is pretty sick, too !

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    nativetounge said:
    Okem said:

okay thanks for the info man!

Rishan said:
    Wait, what do you mean? "New England" is uploaded by someone in the band's son, I can't find it anywhere on the net, is it availbale somewhere?

I dunno who uploaded it, but it is on with the rest of the material being discussed here. There are no track titles as Okem says, and a few were put on youtube. There are maybe 6 songs, a few alternate takes and a couple of radio interludes. No idea where you might find it now, maybe someone here can hook you up with a burn

• Rishan said:
    I dunno who uploaded it, but it is on with the rest of the material being discussed here. There are no track titles as Okem says, and a few were put on youtube. There are maybe 6 songs, a few alternate takes and a couple of radio interludes. No idea where you might find it now, maybe someone here can hook you up with a burn
    Oh okay, yeah I only have that "Unreleased Material From The Cadet Concept Label" with names, that Musk had made up, but "New England" isn't in there! This is the ones I have

01 - Lighthouse Track
    02 - Please Think It Over
    03 - The Day You Leave
    04 - The Day You Leave (Instrumental Take 1)
    05 - The Day You Leave (Instrumental Take 2)
    06 - Your The One
    07 - Your The One (Exteneded Version)
    08 - Instrumental Track 1
    09 - Coming As I Come From Where Ive Been
    10 - Interlude
    11 - Get Back Home
    12 - Get My Soul Together
    13 - Instrumental Track 2

It sure would be dope if someone could upload that other demo that has "New England" on it!