DIZZEE RASCAL: YAY OR NAY?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I bought his first record and I thought it was great. ...But i haven't listened to it since. That must be 3 or 4 years ago now... But I heard a couple joints of the new record and it's pretty fuckin dope! http://www.fluxblog.net/dizzeerascal_sirens.mp3 I say Yay! http://music.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,,2060085,00.html

Comments

• yay, and yay again. he's great fun... "showtime" was also a great LP. both had a few duff tracks on but so do most albums and the good tracks were so good it totally made up for it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Decent. Voice is a bit harsh on the ears though and to hell if I can understand a word he says, but that's just me not being accustomed to British dialects. Still really interesting and good to hear a different flow, someone with a real original style.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yeh that new track "Sirens" he has, and the video to go with it are of the hook.

End fo the video is perfect.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I say yay. Although i only liked "fix up look sharp" from this album really. Just received my "sirens" one sided promo yesterday

This track is so raw, you should not drop it when there are too many (drunk) men in the crowd, totally on some "wreck shit madness"

and "stand up tall" is one of my favourite tracks from the last 5 years (yeah, that just happened). apart form these 3 his stuff didn't grab me that much (too noisy/grimey/strange), but these 3 tracks alone have pure energy and are still funky as hell without being funky

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Yay here as well !

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    neigh

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Nay.

I don't understand how any American could listen to this stuff.

• i wonder if that track with e-40 will ever see the light of day

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I wanna hear the track with UGK...

Nay.

True, but at the same time clearly a sign of being saturated because you already have too many mc's out there. Or it could only be that you are a language snob.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yay, and I'll even say that some Americans could learn some timely lessons about just coming-out-of-the-box-firing-like-gangbusters-on-your-own-shit steez from Dizzee's first album.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont think its really that much of a stretch, if you can listen to dancehall patois whats the matter with a weird british version?

most of the grime dudes - i've complained about this before - just can't rap. its all gimmicky catch-phrase bullshit. some of those dudes can really produce though.

and dizzee can actually rap

Or it could only be that you are a language snob.

As far as I know they speak American over in England where he's from.

Or it could only be that you are a language snob.

As far as I know they speak American over in England where he's from.

He's not from England. He's from London.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i understand aversion to the press hype from a bunch of cats who won't take real rap seriously tho

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Nay.

Heart of a milk dud-related.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Nay.

Heart of a milk dud-related.

Peter Pan related

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    neigh

this nay surpirises me...

i understand aversion to the press hype from a bunch of cats who won't take real rap seriously tho

I think you've probably encountered a lot more of the press hype than me; I don't often read the type of publication that would hype something like Dizzee Rascal up.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I think you've probably encountered a lot more of the press hype than me; I don't often read the type of publication that would hype something like Dizzee Rascal up.
    how did you hear about dizzee rascal?

if the answer is blogs/message boards i would consider that 'press hype'

really the only reason anyone outside of london heard about this shit was press hype

really the only reason anyone outside of london heard about this shit was press hype

Probably.

But what I'm saying is I have never felt inundated by hype for him; my reactions are wholly my own. And I find his music grating and unlistenable.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    New album is more a straight-up rap record, from what I've heard/read. UGK are on one track. I like Diz, generally - some of his stuff's a bit hit-and-miss on occasion, but there's always something worth checking.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I heard about him because I am connected. Personally I think he murderates otherwise interesting beats, both live and on record.

Maybe ex-Wu-Tang afficionado PGunn can chime in with his tuppence worth?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

And I find his music grating and unlistenable.

That's exactly how my mom described PE when I used to play it. Just sayin.

I feel like he's got a sound all his own. I've heard other so-called"grime" and Dizzee's head and shoulders above that.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

BAN!!!

I don't doubt it, and I'm not saying his music is bad. I can respect it in its own cultural context.

But it's beyond me to enjoy listening to it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    production / beats: yay some of the time
    rapping / chatting: nay

• And I find his music grating and unlistenable.

I don't doubt it, and I'm not saying his music is bad. I can respect it in its own cultural context.

But it's beyond me to enjoy listening to it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MAD 'CUZ HE CAN'T AFFORD AFFORD TRAINAZ BYVA TRUCKLOAD, TRAINAZ BYVA TONNE.

B/W

I believe it was our own Soulmarcosa who nominated the "Fix Up Look Sharp" acapella for "Comedy Record of the Year" a while back.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    YAY

I even liked a lot of the album tracks on the first 2 records, then again, I'm European.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    YAY, especially the boy in the corner album.

Every expedit needs to have one in it