Two drummers?!

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
The Greatful Dead, The Allman Brothers Band, .38 Special, etc. These groups all have/had TWO drummers on similar drum kits playing at THE SAME TIME on almost every song when they do live shows. The Allman brothers also have a percussion player. Is this some kind of hippie/Southern rock thing? WTF! What is the point of this? Is there a reason?

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    The Dirtbombs.

They're from Detroit.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The JB's "Doing It To Death" has two drummers as shown on the cover. I think the Isley Brothers' "Get Into Something" was done with a couple set of drums. You can hear it during the breakdown when it slows

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    a lot of motown songs had two drummers, especially whitfield produced temptations. at least thats wut dennis coffey says.

• a lot of motown songs had two drummers, especially whitfield produced temptations. at least thats what Pistol Pete[/b] said.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    m'fucking Trail of Dead. Though honestly, I don't really see what it adds to the overally impression, other than an interesting synchronised stage show.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    For non-Southern 80s rock I'm thinkin' bout New Jersey's The Feelies.

Good point about southern rock though, I'm thinkin' how much better - how much more umph - these groups got cause of more percussion.

• James Brown had 3 drummers on stage at one time during his hey day

I'm goin go to see him live next week!!!!

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    the funny thing about these rock groups with the double drummer action
    is that in my opinion rhythmically they were weak sauce when compared to what James Brown was doing with multiple drummers. I cant say much for the new acts but as far as the older rock groups mentioned i find it laughable that even with two drummers they still couldnt match a solo Clyde, Jabo, James Black, Purdie ect. You would think that the doubled up action would give them more of an interesting rhythmic sensiblity but really how known are the Dead for their kick ass drumming? and what the fuck is the point if they are not innovative with it? now maybe they were something live but i wouldnt know. i hate southern/boogie/jam rock. i seem to imagine the typical cock rock double drummer breakdown being all flash and bravado with a pinch of overblown ego often times with no decernable rhythmic pattern. anyway i know a few folks have seen the Soul of the Funky Drummers tape with Clyde and Jabo showing what they would do when they played live with James. If not, i highly recommend it. unfuckingtouchable interlaced fatbacking with each ones beat seamlessly bleading into the others and then complementing the groove. It really must be seen. now thats some double drummer action. i would venture to guess that live it was the hottest shit going. nothing could even come close back then even in the rock world.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    but really how known are the Dead for their kick ass drumming?

dude you wouldnt even have tie died hippy kids playing in drum circles if it wasnt for mickey hart and his planet drum book man!

show some respect

its not always about boom bap man...

the dead's drummers before goin on stage would syncronise their heat beats so their body clocks would be the same if that's not badass i don't know what is.

the best use of dual drummers were The Fall .. that shit was just perfectly monlithic.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    I Don't want to piss on your fire, but I saw JB live a few years back and that show was anything but

More like a polished Las Vegas showtime sort of thing. Worth seeing and all that, but don't expect any dirty big payback-era/jungle groove joints.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    honestly, I don't really see what (two drummers add) to the overally impression

i agree. as many times as ive seen the dirtbombs live, when i close my eyes i can barely tell that there are two drummers (and bassists!) in the first place

the main reason most bands have two drumemrs is because one of the drummers sucks or was unreliable...

see allman's / pavement

two shitty drummers is almost as good as one good one.

the main reason most bands have two drumemrs is because one of the drummers sucks or was unreliable...

so the shitty drummer was still in the band BECAUSE....????

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I Don't want to piss on your fire, but I saw JB live a few years back and that show was anything but

More like a polished Las Vegas showtime sort of thing. Worth seeing and all that, but don't expect any dirty big payback-era/jungle groove joints.
    Couldn't agree more. The show was interesting, nothing more.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    It's because dudes wern't on time so one would do the High hats and snare and the other would do the Kick and wave his hair around.... Well that's how it was done on Solid Gold 79, Go Dionne! Stephanie Mills would of beat her down...

I Don't want to piss on your fire, but I saw JB live a few years back and that show was
    More like a polished Las Vegas showtime sort of thing.

JB's shows were ALWAYS structured like a slick revue. This isn't Funkadelic.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Boredoms are currently touring with three.

• I Don't want to piss on your fire, but I saw JB live a few years back and that show was anything but

I know bo, I've seen recent footage and it looks like I'm 35 years too late.... tickets weren't cheap neither! I bought them cos he'll be dead soon

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Boredoms are currently touring with three.

really good multi-drummer steez, the best out there right now...killer

weed connection dude

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts

I know bo, I've seen recent footage and it looks like I'm 35 years too late.... tickets weren't cheap neither! I bought them cos he'll be dead soon

It's not a terrible show by any means, especially when he busts some moves. That's one OAP who can still do the running man and get away with it.

weed connection dude

shoulda seen that coming!

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    The Doobie Bros. had two drummers. Yes, in the hands of two sucky drummers, it can make for some interesting flams if the the two aren't synched. In my mind, the James Brown groups w/ Jabo & Starks made for one of the best 2 drummer combos (as stated in previous post). But, we must not forget the powerhouse combo of Jim Keltner & Jim Gordon on Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen LP. Two of the best west coast session drummers in the late 60's/early 70's. Add Tulsa born Carl Radle on bass, and it makes for, I feel, the rhythm section that truly kicks huge ass.

• a lot of motown songs had two drummers, especially whitfield produced temptations. at least thats what Pistol Pete[/b] said.

Jazzy Jay told me that funky drummer is dope because of the two drummers. anyone else ever heard that?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    it's not just limited to boogie-rock, though it does seem popular. i don't mind two drummers when there is one guy with a standard kit and one doing different percussion. the two fugazi drummers brendan canty and jerry busher didn't seem pointless because they weren't playing the same. co-sign on the feelies & the boredoms - those bands rule. i also like this chicago band califone and they have one regular drummer and one dude doing weirdo percussion which makes it sound more dense and rich.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    The Dirtbombs.

They're from Detroit.

they should trade in their 2 bad drummers for one good one!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DoMakeSayThink and GodSpeed You Black Emperor are two bands I've seen use two drummers and it was brilliant. Whether they played at the same time or came in at different times and dropped breaks and beats all over each other - it was very amazing and exciting. It's funny to watch drummers looking at each other trying to anticipate the next change, too - especially when they make those funny open-mouth fish-faces.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    but really how known are the Dead for their kick ass drumming?

dude you wouldnt even have tie died hippy kids playing in drum circles if it wasnt for mickey hart and his planet drum book man!

I don't know what to say.

In the 80s I worked with a guy who would play live Dead tapes all day. Shit drove me nuts. I'm thinking, 2 guitars, a bass, keys and a drummer and no ones keeping the beat! What is wrong with these guys?

So I say to my co-worker "They would be a lot better if they had 2 drummers so someone could keep the beat."

Guy gives me a dirty look.

"What?"

"They have 2 drummers."

Ok, well then they really suck.

I don't know why bands have 2 drummers. I rarely can hear that there are 2 drummers. I don't like busy drums. Motown and Phil Spector did it to make the drums bigger. The Dead did it because they were on drugs and no one noticed until it was to late. The Allmans did it because they had that great 2 lead guitar thing going.

I heard Mikey Hart give a talk about his world music label. Seems like a nice guy. Did you know he is deaf? Had his hearing aids turned up to ten and you still had to shout at him. He's on some All Gone Pete Tong shit.

LAst time I saw the Roots they had a guy (named Frankie Knuckles, but not the dj) doubling everything ?uest did on electronic drum pads. Worse than pointless it was annoying.

Dan

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Deloris Ealy - Jerome... (Big Vick Hammond) : two drummers. 13yr and 15yr old brothers from Oakland.