MOTOWN

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
no, not motown67. but, i should say you all should say thank you to that dude as he pretty much runs the reviews section of the soulstrut board.no, this is about the motown catalog. which includes tamla, and gordy. top 5?1. mary wells - please forgive me2. tammi terrel - dontcha worry bout a thing3. brenda holloway - ive been good to you4. stevie wonder - sunsets5. miracles - depend on me

Comments

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    only 5?!

Kim Weston - I'm Still Loving You [tamla]
    Carolyn Crawford - My Heart [motown]
    The Contours - Just A Little Misunderstanding [gordy]
    PJ - TLC [tamla]
    The Supremes - He's All I got [motown]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    - Undisputed Truth - "Poontang"
    - Jr. Walker & the All-Stars - "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling"
    - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - "Doggone Right"
    - Richard "Popcorn" Wylie - "Funky Rubber Band"
    - PJ - "It Takes A Man To Teach A Woman How To Love"
    (the flip side of the PJ cut that Sexy B Nyce mentioned above, and the best Esther Phillips song that Esther Phillips never did)

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    eddie kendricks - date with the rain
    marvelettes - don't make hurting me a habit
    marvin gaye - stubborn kinda fella
    edwin starr - hooked on you
    bob kayli - tie me tight
    kim weston - thrill a moment
    temptations - i'm the exception to the rule
    david ruffin - you can come right on back to me
    miracles - bad girl

etc.

---

• Spinners - It's A Shame
    Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone
    Marvellettes - I'll Keep On Holding On
    Martha & The Vandellas - In My Lonely Room
    Earl Van Dyke - Soul Stomp

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I suppose motown was a decent little detroit soul label...my five

1. Marvelettes "Here I am Baby"

2. Barbara Randolph "Can I get a Witness"

3. Marvin Gaye "Baby dont you do it"

4. Stevie Wonder "Hey Love"

5. Temptations "Aint no Sunshine"

I gotta add this though...fuck Jack Ashford and his "Stax stole everything from Motown"...sounds like Motown were doing a little biting of their own with the aformentioned Barbara Randoph track..but damn it smokes

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

Marvin: After the dance
    Stevie: Knocks me off my feet
    Martha Reeves and Vandellas: Heatwave and Jimmy Mac
    Jacksons: I wanna be where you are
    Smokey: Quiet Storm

Bonus:
    That rare earth joint.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the Motown songs I wanna hear today

Smokey and the Miracles-Going to a Go Go
    Tempations- Get Ready
    Stevie Wonder-Sugar
    Valerie Simpson-Sinner Man
    Gladys Knight and the Pips-Nitty Gritty

today's Motown song I can hear a million times and it always amazes me(and there are many):

Tears of a Clown-Smokey and the Miracles

• blaqsoulblaqsoul 61 Posts
    Top 5 (for right now)

1. Jackson 5 ??? Darling Dear

2. Temptations ??? Heavenly

3. Eddie Kendricks ??? Date With The Rain

4. David Ruffin ??? Walk Away From Love

5. Jr. Walker & The All Stars ??? Why Can???t We Be Lovers

BONUS:

Michael Jackson - We're Almost There

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Motown covers worth listening to:
    Aretha Franklin Track Of My Tears
    English Beat Tears Of A Clown
    Roland Kirk What's Going On
    Laura Nyro Monkey Time
    Earl Klug I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Motown song writers worked the man crying theme with 3 of the above plus I Wish It Would Rain, and others I'm forgetting.

Dan

Laura Nyro Monkey Time

Not to bust any balls or anything, but "Monkey Time" originally came out on the OKeh label (by Major Lance). Motown had nothing to do with that one.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Laura Nyro Monkey Time

Not to bust any balls or anything, but "Monkey Time" originally came out on the OKeh label (by Major Lance). Motown had nothing to do with that one.

not to take away from the ball busting at hand but that song me likey too!

the major lance version that is. havent heard the laura nyro version

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Baby, Baby Don't Cry

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

today's Motown song I can hear a million times and it always amazes me(and there are many):

I know! What the hell is it with that song? I feel the same about I Second that Emotion, as well.

Damn.

I'm going home and listening both those songs. Twice. Ya hear? Twice!

I know! What the hell is it with that song? I feel the same about I Second that Emotion, as well.

Damn.

Yeah, Smokey Robinson was the songwritingest man anybody ever seen, huh?

Damn.

Yeah, Smokey Robinson was the songwritingest man anybody ever seen, huh?

Uh-huh.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    oh lordy, my peoples if you ever want to be embarrassed by your parents, go with them to a smokey concert. i guarantee your mommies will rush the front and scream and swoon and cry to that dude like a bunch of high school girls. best shit ever!

another one that never gets old is

just my imagination - temptations

MOTOWN RULES!

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

yea yea yea...

right now i'm getting my love on for smokey...friday night, it'll be all about sam and isaac...i have no favourites, i just love a soulful man.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't buy into the whole "Stax vs Motown" thing, they were just two incredible labels pumping out classic performance after classic performance...and the whole "Motown was for white people" line is a fucking joke. Berry Gordy did have an obsession with making his stars "supper club" material, but he wasn't alone in that ambition...I will say Motown had more classic tracks over a longer period of time...shit, they were still kickin' in the 80's with Rick James/Mary Jane Girls/Dazz Band, etc...

Anyway, a sampler of 5 Motown tunes that are on some "next level" shit for me, although I could name a hundred more:

1. Eddie Kendricks - Girl You Need a Change Of Mind (full version)
    2. Marvelettes - Hunter Gets Captured By the Game
    3. Stevie Wonder - You Haven't Done Nothin'
    4. Temptations - Just Let Me Know
    5. Brenda Holloway - Land of a Thousand Boys

geez that was hard, can we do a top 50?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

geez that was hard, can we do a top 50?

We already DID a Stax thread, go back and bump THAT one! We on MOTOWN now!

("Best Records On Stax.....[not sister labels]," 5/30/05).

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    It really makes me all warm and fuzzy inside (PASUE) to see dudes giving props to Motown. Not too long ago all you heard was neo-crate-digging types talking real Simon Cowell about Berry Gordy's label... "I can't stand that Motown shite", "it's utter crap", "I take dumps on your mum and wipe my bum with Motown" (no dis to my UK brethren, USA folls were just as guilty of this vile injustice).
    Man, Motown was (and is) GREAT MUSIC. Some of the greatest. I could name so many songs, artists, albums, producers, etc. But just give me David Ruffin's cocaine and alcohol laced vocals and I'm good for life. REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL. They got braeks too!
    BTW, my favorite current album is on Motown- Kem "II". So grown and sexy, mang (I'll forgive him for the wack cover of "I Get Lifted"- the rest of the cd is reallllly good IMO).

It really makes me all warm and fuzzy inside (PASUE) to see dudes giving props to Motown. Not too long ago all you heard was neo-crate-digging types talking real Simon Cowell about Berry Gordy's label... "I can't stand that Motown shite", "it's utter crap", "I take dumps on your mum and wipe my bum with Motown" (no dis to my UK brethren, USA folls were just as guilty of this vile injustice).
    Man, Motown was (and is) GREAT MUSIC. the wack cover of "I Get Lifted"- the rest of the cd is reallllly good IMO).

I'll admit, I was tired of Motown for the longest time, thanks to overkill on oldies radio in the 80's and 90's. Of course, if, say, Duke/Peacock got the same treatment, I'd be tired of hearing Bobby "Blue" Bland myself. The point is, overexposure is the ONLY problem. Once you get past that, there is no denying that Motown had a killer roster of acts that couldn't be denied (esp. during 1961-72).

Two Motown albums I bought recently that are surprisingly good: David Ruffin's FEELING GOOD and the Originals' NATURALLY TOGETHER. (I say "surprisingly" because several Motown albums back in the day had a mess of unspectacular filler tracks, but both of these elpees make it from the gitgo to the bitter end.)

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Been meaning to check out some of David Ruffins solo joints. Which ones are essential?
    http://www.hip-oselect.com/catalogue_ruffin.asp

Growing up in the UK as a kid you had no real access to funk etc Motown was the nearest thing you'd ever get to hear. I saw David with Eddie & Dennis (Edwards) about 2 months before David's death, Eddie was looking pretty frail but still put on best show I've ever seen.

What did you make of that Temps tv serial? We didn't get it over here but I managed to catch the DVD, thought the dude playing David was pretty decent.

Whatever you say about motown they paved the way for most the other shit we talk about on here...

What did you make of that Temps tv serial? We didn't get it over here but I managed to catch the DVD, thought the dude playing David was pretty decent.

For a made-for-TV flick, not bad. It was period-appropraite, from what I recall - they got the fashions and whatnot right. Some of these rock dramas have long-haired men in 1952.

Whatever you say about motown they paved the way for most the other shit we talk about on here...

Not just Motown, but Stax, Chess, OKeh, etc.. As gigantic as Motown was, they were but one piece of the puzzle that was sixties soul.

"Not just Motown, but Stax, Chess, OKeh, etc.. As gigantic as Motown was, they were but one piece of the puzzle that was sixties soul. "

Yeah I agree but I think they helped open the door for some of these smaller labels?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

For a made-for-TV flick, not bad. It was period-appropraite, from what I recall - they got the fashions and whatnot right. Some of these rock dramas have long-haired men in 1952.

I think the Temps movie is one of the most entertaining music bios ever, maybe THE most entertaining. The guy playing Eddie Kendricks nailed it, and Leon has made a career of playing David Ruffin(or Ruffin-esque characters-5 Heartbeats).

I think the Temps movie is one of the most entertaining music bios ever, maybe THE most entertaining. The guy playing Eddie Kendricks nailed it, and Leon has made a career of playing David Ruffin(or Ruffin-esque characters-5 Heartbeats).

The guy playing Eddie definately nailed it.
    One of the best music bios I've seen, just a shame there was such an Otis Williams bias seeing as it was based on his book ..

"Not just Motown, but Stax, Chess, OKeh, etc.. As gigantic as Motown was, they were but one piece of the puzzle that was sixties soul. "

Yeah I agree but I think they helped open the door for some of these smaller labels?

well, most of the important soul labels of the 60s that i can think of either started at the same time as motown (like stax) or had a 10-20 year head start (like chess and OKeh), so i dont know if they exactly opened the door