What is your advise to the younger kids coming up?

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited June 2005 in Record Collecting
What is your advise to the younger kids/(or your children) coming up looking for recs, or music in general?For the folks with kids what tips do you have for your seeds growing up watching MTV vs Litening to wax? Or have you even thought of that yet?Just contimplating on life again and how we can guide the kids of the now and new generation...this is over ripe Mangotime....

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    My advice? Buying records is expensive. Don't do it.

• start young, wake up early, do your research.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

For the folks with kids what tips do you have for your seeds growing up watching MTV vs Litening to wax? Or have you even thought of that yet?

Yeah! My son loves records he is A year and a half old.... When I take him to vinyl spots he always behaves and loves to mess with the tables... However who knows what his generation is gonna dig.... They may look at me like a Geezer dad that has wax... You gotta keep em righteous and hope they see through the media bullshit (not just talking music but alot of other things)... Ain't gonna lie he boogies to Jack Mcduff and "Drop it like its hot" so who knows what will happen

ANY OTHER HEADS TAKE THEIR KIDS DIGGIN! DISCUSS!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Don't piss away your money simply trying to increase the size of your collection, or you will soon have more records than you can conveniently store and very few of them will be any good.

Get serious about condition, so you don't end up having to buy the same records twice later in the game.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My advice? Buying records is expensive. Don't do it.

Concentrate on your here now, but do your homework. Balance, young one, in all things.

I have said it before, but here again is the Four Fold Way:

The Way of the Warrior [/b]or Leader is to show up, or choose to be present. Being present allows us to access the human resources of power, presence, and communication. We express the way of the Leader through appropriate action, good timing, and clear communication.

In other words, get your ass up early and put in the work. No whining.[/b]

The Way of the Healer[/b] or Caretaker is to pay attention to what has heart and meaning. Paying attention opens us to the human resources of love, gratitude, acknowledgment, and validation. We express the way of the Healer through our attitudes and actions that maintain personal health and support the welfare of our environment.

Read, listen, read, read and listen some more. Only by deciding for yourself what makes a good record will you understand how others recognize dopeness.[/b]

The Way of the Visionary[/b] or Creative Problem Solver is to tell the truth without blame or judgment. Truthfulness, authenticity, and integrity are keys to developing our vision and intuition. We express the way of the Visionary through personal creativity, goals, plans, and our ability to bring our life dreams and visions into the world.

Have a plan for those records, beats, skills, etc. Dream big and take no shorts, you are only as dope as you feel.[/b]

The Way of the Teacher[/b] or Counselor is to be open to outcome, not attached to outcome. Openness and non-attachment help us recover the human resources of wisdom and objectivity. We express the way of the Teacher through our constructive communication and informational skills.

Once you know a little sumthin', don't be a douche, spread the love, drop some mad knowledge. It will come back to you.[/b]

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Don't piss away your money simply trying to increase the size of your collection, or you will soon have more records than you can conveniently store and very few of them will be any good.

Get serious about condition, so you don't end up having to buy the same records twice later in the game.

This is right on.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    The most important thisng is what many moms tell their children: To thine own self be true. Don't just buy a lot oif shit because people say it's the end all be all. at the same time, Listen to those who came before you. It will help avoid a lot of bullshit records that cost a lot of money. Words of wisdom from the newest breakbeatraer.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Do a lot of push ups & make sure to eat mangos

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im still a young gunna but the best advice someone gave me was "fuck all that rare shit, pick up the classics, and then work from there."

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

Do a lot of push ups & make sure to eat mangos

Dang Straight! LOL

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Stay in school

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Stay the fuck away from my rackords and collect pokemons instead.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    What is your advise to the younger kids/(or your children) coming up looking for recs, or music in general?

Get all your felonies out your system before you're 14, cause they'll prosecute jr high school kids as adults these days!

just kidding

• It is crucial you buy records with music you like, not just cos DJ XYZ said it was cool or forked out loads of cash for it.

most of the top rated funk 45's are pretty wank in my opinion....

Farm Song??? I wouldn't give you ??20 for it
    Can we rap - massively over rated/priced

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    Buy the so-called "Holy Bible of Hip Hop" aka Sample FAQ book and read Scratch Magazine.

Sike.

Actually, that's something I've thought about. I think you can try turning them onto certain types of music by playing it to them or showing them resources like the web, but ultimately it's up to their ears to catch it and feel something. It's always good to come at them with another perspective though. There are probably a bunch of youngans on bulletin boards like the 'Strut already, too.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    my advice is that if you ever get a record deal and somebody does the design for you..... make sure you fully inspect the cover for hidden messages. i.e. someone sucking balls on the cover.

• Send James Newton a check...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    If you see it, buy it! It won't be there when you go back.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Stay the fuck away from my rackords and collect pokemons instead.

holla

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    dont wear new clothes while digging

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    Christmas, county, and Engelbert Humperdinkaziod records are gonna be the next big thing, so go big on um and scrap the rest. Also, please don't sell these records back to stores for the next 10 years while they appreciate value.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    dont wear new clothes while digging

And don't rub your eyes or touch your face while digging either.

Some good advice, to add a few more:

-try your best to treat others as you want them to treat you

-no matter how little you have, try to share with someone who has none at all

-leaving the inner sleeve open end out is a disaster waiting to happen, especially if you don't have a plastic sleeve on (wait, why don't you have a plastic sleeve?)

-cover your mixer when not in use to keep out dust and things

-anticipation can be a very good thing, don't rush it

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

-leaving the inner sleeve open end out is a disaster waiting to happen, especially if you don't have a plastic sleeve on (wait, why don't you have a plastic sleeve?)

i just had an argument with my friend last week about this, he keeps his records in plastic sleeves but keeps that open end out, i dont, i always keep it up, i tell him i do it so it never falls out on accident but he says that he actually listens to his records inferring that i don't and that it is easier to gain access to the record, we argued about this for about 45 minutes, at that point i realised how bad i have gotten when it comes to this record thing and also how obsessive compulsive i really am, we were both high as hell so that may be a big part of it

• What is your advise to the younger kids/(or your children) coming up looking for recs

Learn to deal with the plastic smiles!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

i just had an argument with my friend last week about this, he keeps his records in plastic sleeves but keeps that open end out, i dont, i always keep it up, i tell him i do it so it never falls out on accident but he says that he actually listens to his records inferring that i don't and that it is easier to gain access to the record, we argued about this for about 45 minutes, at that point i realised how bad i have gotten when it comes to this record thing and also how obsessive compulsive i really am, we were both high as hell so that may be a big part of it

I would have said the same thing to your friend. I listen to all of my records and just consider removing the jackets from the plastic sleeve to get to the LP a necessary part of the process. Don't let that dude get you down! You'll be smiling on the other end of the phone when he calls to tell you a disc slipped and cracked ::SNAP::, sonnn.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    A collection should be a reflection of your own tastes, not the tastes of others.

Don't fear the reissue. There's nothing sadder than an unemployed college kid convincing himself he needs an original pressing of S.O.U.L. for $150.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    A collection should be a reflection of your own tastes, not the tastes of others.
    Very good advice! I have gotten some rec's cuz I've heard folks recomend them and wasn't really impressed...or I was Impressed but never listen to them because ..it just ain't my thing.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    You'll be smiling on the other end of the phone when he calls to tell you a disc slipped and cracked ::SNAP::, sonnn.

"That asshole Will was right!"[/b]

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Don't fear the reissue.

or the occasional CD. Or the occasional CD reissue. But you probably don't need to have something in ALL formats.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

1) Find out the pricing patterns of the record stores you frequent. There is one spot in the DC area that always prices greatest hits comps and rock records way over value, but consistently undervalues 70s jazz and soul. Another spot has accurate prices for hip hop but undervalues the rock record. etc...

2) Idris Muhammed used to be Leo Morris.

3) Learn about your labels.

4) Figure out a way to hook up your mixer or receiver to your computer so you can put your finds on the ipod.

5) Ebay prices are often inflated, but especially in hip hop. There are book stores and record dealers to this day who have no idea how to price rap 12s from the mid-1990s.

6) Most fusion sucks balls. There are, however, some funky exceptions.

7) Many of those dusty fingers type comps have only snippets of hot tracks.

8) For every reed seed there is a mister magic. That is to say don't give up on an artist or label just cause they make something horrible. The Christine McVie record, for example, is really nice--even though a lot of fleetwood mac is dollar bin boring. 52nd street by billy joel is a dope record and so is Sneeking Sally through the alley. The corallary is that it's not always wise to be a completist.

9) For some reason the dopest records were released during the Nixon administration. That's not a hard and fast rule, but in general it's a good guide.

10) If you find yourself in one of the premium record shops like TSL in new york or groove merchant in San Fran, don't waste your money on the stuff you are likely to find on your home turf. Better to spend more on something very rare in those places than to pay a premium for some nice but easier to find stuff.