Help Me! (Real Player Related)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
There's one thing about my new job that sucks: They won't allow anyone to install Real Player. We have Windows Media, which is fine for CDs, but most online sound clips are .RAM files. Is there any way to get around this? I.E., play .RAM files in a browser or convert them somehow? Keep in mind that if I need to download special software to convert them, I'm also outta luck.Thanks,Ross

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    There's one thing about my new job that sucks: They won't allow anyone to install Real Player. We have Windows Media, which is fine for CDs, but most online sound clips are .RAM files.

Is there any way to get around this? I.E., play .RAM files in a browser or convert them somehow? Keep in mind that if I need to download special software to convert them, I'm also outta luck.

Thanks,
    Ross

i'm almost certain you can play them in soundforge or cool edit, but not make any changes to the file.

• There's one thing about my new job that sucks: They won't allow anyone to install Real Player. We have Windows Media, which is fine for CDs, but most online sound clips are .RAM files.

Is there any way to get around this? I.E., play .RAM files in a browser or convert them somehow? Keep in mind that if I need to download special software to convert them, I'm also outta luck.

Thanks,
    Ross

Find the adminstrator password and install everything you want. Unless they have streaming media blocked at the proxy server, in which case you may be SOL.

• Are you allowed to use Firefox as browser? you can play .ram's in the browser i believe.

• Are you allowed to use Firefox as browser? you can play .ram's in the browser i believe.

Yes, and I use Firefox. I don't think it'll play .rams, though. If I cut and paste the link (for example, http://www.turntablelab.com/real2/labindub/sylfordwalker-burnbabylon.ram) into Firefox, I get a window that asks me if I want to save it to disk or open it with Windows Media. Neither works.

F16C: How badly I want to take your advice. And streams are okay, just not .rams.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I just spent 5 months at an office with this type of shit. Real was installed but streaming disabled. no workaround.

mp3s people!!

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    Check out RaWavRecorder for at least a temporary solution. It takes Real Audio streams and converts them to .wav files.

I believe it needs certain Real Networks .dll files to work (according to the readme file.) You could always just put those files on a disk and bring them in or have someone post them up on the net for you.

I am sure there are other programs out there like this.

• Thanks, but when I tried to open the DL of the .exe, I got this:

You must be logged in as an administrator or as a member of the Power Users group when installing this program.[/b]

And thanks for your link, too, Zeke. I may have to try to put those DLL files on a disc at home.