Favorite Funk LP's

124»

Comments

• A few that haven't been mentioned:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    And to Pickwick33 on the vocals, you can't tell me there's not some P-funk tracks with wack make-you-blush lyrics

I ain't talkin' 'bout the lyrics, I'm referring to the actual vocals! And I know I was talking earlier about the similarities between funk and rock, but I'm sorry, the Make-Up are coming from a whole nother field entirely for me to mistake them for funk...this is a ROCK band pure and simple.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Oh is that what that's worth? I always thought it went for more. I know saw one sell a couple months ago for around $75, but I guess its not a record I really keep tabs on. Congratulations man, you are the official James Brown expert of Soulstrut. I bow before your immense knowledge of all that is funk:

As far as funk LPs, I am of the mind that if you've got a dozen or so JB-related LPs, the first three Meters, and the first Kool and the Gang, then you are good. Watts 13rd Street Rhythm Band is cool, too. And I like the Marvin Holmes LP.

LOL, how did I miss this?

The above post isn't reflective of the extent of my "knowledge"; it is reflective of my opinion, that opinion being that if the templates are readily available, there's little reason to bother with all of the less competently executed derivatives.

And, yes, I have been in the game long enough to know that not only is The Payback a common record, it's also a much better one than lots of funk pieces that sell for 10x the price.

And by the way, unless you've got mint copies of all of the above--which I highly doubt, since you seem to think that The Payback is some ballerific schitt--I don't think you're in a position to talk them down.

• LOL at your instance that those songs should be classified as "funk".

Funky drums don't just make anything "funk".

It encompasses so much more than that.

Put that against any of the other LPs in this thread.

Would you mind explaining what it encompasses then? Strictly speaking in terms of "new" music, would you call the Dap-Kings a funk band? True funk to me is raw, primal, and a little unhinged sounding. Seeing The Dap-kings is like watching a Broadway play. To me there is funk, and funky cheeseball music, as in the kind of stuff that my mom and car companies like.

And to Pickwick33 on the vocals, you can't tell me there's not some P-funk tracks with wack make-you-blush lyrics

Dude. Tell me the Dap-Kings "Genuine" isn't raw, primal, and unhinged.
    You'd probably think seeing James Brown is also like seeing a Broadway play.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    hey guys what about

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    hey guys what about

I see we have a veteran funk-o-naut in the place. May I suggest another "funk bomb" well-known to disciples of Rickey Vincent?

Owwww! So fonk-ay!

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    hey guys what about
    I see we have a veteran funk-o-naut in the place. May I suggest another "funk bomb" well-known to disciples of Rickey Vincent?

Owwww! So fonk-ay!

Thanks guys. I just ordered these on ebay.

No, but I really do appreciate the suggestions. I've checked out the nite-liters and maxayn so far and really like some cuts off them. I'll get to the others soon.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Wow.

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    One of the best funk LPs is Bobby Williams' Funky Superfly.

I haven't heard the normal version, but the fan club one sounds magnificent.

Yeah dude, he's way better than James Brown.

I never compared him to James Brown. He was obviously one of the many who tried to be like JB, but he was one of the few who did it well.

Anyway, all I'm saying is Funky Superfly is an excellent funk LP.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Yeah dude, he's way better than James Brown.

this thread is a complete embarassment. moderators...plaese to delete.

dude dint ask us to list every damn funk record.
    too many one-two trackers got mentioned.
    this shit is shameful

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

this shit is shameful

C'mon dude, this thread is hilarious.
    Seeing dudes get all sweaty and hyper
    over what "funk" is makes for comedy.

"Funkadelic isn't funk"

"This Dischord band is the best funk band since 1972"

The one true point made in this thread
    is that funk isn't an LP-friendly music,
    and by far all the best funk is on 45.

Shit, the best JB funk songs were all 45's
    before they were ever on an album.

I've had the Bobby Williams record. It's one of the most mediocre funk records I've heard. I can see where funk 45 dudes might be into the title track as a single, but as an lp it sucks. The ballad-ee stuff is dreadful. I realize the promo version is supposed to be a better mix, but I just don't see how it could make it that much better.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    you guys are mad ghey. don't make me drop a jewel. Modern funk sound at its finest:

this shit is shameful

C'mon dude, this thread is hilarious.
    Seeing dudes get all sweaty and hyper
    over what "funk" is makes for comedy.

"Funkadelic isn't funk"

"This Dischord band is the best funk band since 1972"

The one true point made in this thread
    is that funk isn't an LP-friendly music,
    and by far all the best funk is on 45.

Shit, the best JB funk songs were all 45's
    before they were ever on an album.

for real.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

game. fucking. over.

Re: Bobby williams - I had the fan club version - not sure if the track listing is different or not. The ballads were horrible, I agree with you there. I remember it having 3 or 4 good tracks on it, but maybe I'm nastolgic. Soul Brother Party was a good track.

Goodnight fuckers.

Goodnight fuckers.

Rest In Piss

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Goodnight fuckers.

If this were Waxidermy, he would have said:
    "and now, I quit this board for the next 28 days!"

• hey t*m...whats the deal on this record? love the cover and title.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Goodnight fuckers.

Rest In Piss