Favorite Funk LP's

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As far as the Parliament/Funkadelic argument, I was always under the impression that Funkadelic was a 'side' project to Parliament for them to explore their rock stylings.

Somehow, I doubt it...Osmium (by Parliament) is just as wigged-out as the Funkadelic LP's on Westbound. And as far as the side-project thing goes, must be one of the longest side projects ever (1971-73: three Funkadelic albums, zero Parliament elpees).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    As far as the Parliament/Funkadelic argument, I was always under the impression that Funkadelic was a 'side' project to Parliament for them to explore their rock stylings.

Somehow, I doubt it...Osmium (by Parliament) is just as wigged-out as the Funkadelic LP's on Westbound. And as far as the side-project thing goes, must be one of the longest side projects ever (1971-73: three Funkadelic albums, zero Parliament elpees).

Yeah, only if "Side Project" is a euphemism for getting around contractual obligations in order to put out music on multiple labels.

• And I was labeled an essentialist in the other thread...

• As far as the Parliament/Funkadelic argument, I was always under the impression that Funkadelic was a 'side' project to Parliament for them to explore their rock stylings.

Yeah, only if "Side Project" is a euphemism for getting around contractual obligations in order to put out music on multiple labels.

well, that's why I put it quotes.

• 'Maybe the people don't want a journalist who "drinks maple syrup straight from the bottle" '

I inverted the use of single/double quotes in homage to J. Bennett Brower.

• dennis coffy trio - hair and thangs
    s.o.u.l. - what is it
    the mohawks - the champ
    damn, stein....forgot about those. i am resubmitting my entry...S.o.u.l. is my favorite funk LP pretty easily...more than meters first or superfly stk. "the champ" is a very close second ("beat me till im blue" is some adrenalin shot,without a doubt). so so so so ill. hair and thangs not as close, but so dope.

bill mason - gettin' off

SHOULDNT BE MENTIONED IN THE SAME BREATH AS THOSE ABOVE.

okay. please remove bill mason - gettin' off and replace it with:
    dj quik - born and raised in compton. peace, stein. . .

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Has this been mentioned yet?

oh and this:

the best funk group of the last 35 years

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    oh and this:

(absurdly huge image)

Dude, I like the Make-Up and all, but that
    statement is just ludicrous.

And, if Funkadelic is rock & not funk, so is James Knight.
    (although I think both are funk, myself)

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ricky vincent.

he can talk all day about pfunk and mainstream funk but knows very little about any small label groups. even folks from the bay area which he "says" he knows all about.

i laugh at him...

• This one has to be on the list....

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Can't forget this one...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    oh and this:

please tell me you are not serious.......

oh and this:

I know, sounds like some garage-rock fan who believes the Small Faces invented soul music.

oh and this:

I know, sounds like some garage-rock fan who believes the Small Faces invented soul music.

Haha... let's also be clear on the fact that "35 years" takes us all the way back to 1972.

"Best funk LP since 1972!"

oh and this:

well you're right, I guess that's not a fair thing to say with "I Want Some" being a collection of singles and not actually a proper LP.

oh and this:

Haha... let's also be clear on the fact that "35 years" takes us all the way back to 1972.

"Best funk LP since 1972!"

I am tempted to make a list of funk LPs that it is "better" than.

"Better than The Payback!"

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned this one yet?

Ok, so I was speaking in hyperbole, but I do consider the Make Up to be a funk group. And maybe with the exception of the Poets of Rhythm, the best since the original era past. Do they sound like JB note for note and beat for beat? No, but I don't think they should. Groups like the Dap-Kings are just fine, but I'll listen to the originals before I ever want to listen to them. The Make Up's main influence was gospel music and thus their sound tended to be more raw and feral than the a lot of the chunky disco-funk pre-cursors listed in this thread.

To me, these Make-Up cuts:

sound a lot closer to a cut like this:

than pretty much anything else listed on this thread so far. There's a million great funk tracks on soul LPs, but generaly the best funk IMO is on 45. And Faux, personally if I found a Payback LP in the field, it would be flipped within 24 hours for a David Batiste, or perhaps 3 Marva Whitney singles... but I've been called crazy about a lot of things.

Just curious if the strut would call this LP funk or not:

And Faux, personally if I found a Payback LP in the field, it would be flipped within 24 hours for a David Batiste, or perhaps 3 Marva Whitney singles.

"If I found that $20 record I would sell it within twenty-four hours!"

Jeezus, dude, you are dangerous. About to challenge Reynaldo for the title.

Here's another! Jan Jan is the classic cut on here I guess, but Dirty Red is one of my favorite funk instrumentals.

Ok, so I was speaking in hyperbole, but I do consider the Make Up to be a funk group.

Now if only the guy would shut up and let the band play, then I could hear these tracks as really good funk instrumentals. As it stands, we gotta get past them cheeky vocals, see, and it comes off like just another decadent indie-rock band. Calling them funk would be trying way too hard, being too liberal and giving them too much credit. Gotta draw that line SOMEwhere, now. Just cause James Brown once cut an album with the Louis Bellson group doesn't make him jazz, either.

Just curious if the strut would call this LP funk or not:

Is that the Poets of Rhythm? (Sorry, but that is a mighty small image.) Never heard that album, but those guys are alright with me. "It Came Over Me" is up there with any ten classic soul ballads you can name. And their funk is a hell of a lot closer to what we've been talking about than the Make-Up.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    LOL at your instance that those songs should be classified as "funk".

Funky drums don't just make anything "funk".

It encompasses so much more than that.

Put that against any of the other LPs in this thread.

LOL at you instance that those songs should be classified as "funk".

Funky drums doesn't make just anything "funk".

In the words of Funkadelic, "you hit the naaail on the head..."

Oh is that what that's worth? I always thought it went for more. I know saw one sell a couple months ago for around $75, but I guess its not a record I really keep tabs on. Congratulations man, you are the official James Brown expert of Soulstrut. I bow before your immense knowledge of all that is funk:

As far as funk LPs, I am of the mind that if you've got a dozen or so JB-related LPs, the first three Meters, and the first Kool and the Gang, then you are good. Watts 13rd Street Rhythm Band is cool, too. And I like the Marvin Holmes LP.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this one yet?

I think that comeback album she did last year is WAAAAAAY funkier.

Everything else I've heard by her, from back in the day, has too much of a loungey O.C. Smith/Nancy Wilson-ish aura to it. I'm stickin' with my Charles Wright/Watts Band records.

LOL at you instance that those songs should be classified as "funk".

Funky drums doesn't make just anything "funk".

He is a baller, though!

Funk classics are the metal and his hand is magnetic! He is pulling JB joints all day for $10 and flipping them for $20 tomorrow! He made $10 while you made a batch of kool-aid! He made a further $10 while you chefed up some french toast!

I advise you to fall back!

LOL at your instance that those songs should be classified as "funk".

Funky drums don't just make anything "funk".

Would you mind explaining what it encompasses then? Strictly speaking in terms of "new" music, would you call the Dap-Kings a funk band? True funk to me is raw, primal, and a little unhinged sounding. Seeing The Dap-kings is like watching a Broadway play. To me there is funk, and funky cheeseball music, as in the kind of stuff that my mom and car companies like.

And to Pickwick33 on the vocals, you can't tell me there's not some P-funk tracks with wack make-you-blush lyrics

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i will say that i still like hearing old Nation of Ulysses shit though....

but c'mon- influence of the Make Up is gospel music???
    the influence is heroin
    and pants too tight in the crotch

influence is prince
    in the sense of a rip-off routine.

continue.