Sellers - Shipping Issues?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I have received word from three different dudes in three different countries that they haven't gotten their work. One of these is a $200 record, which has me a bit shook. I've never had any problems before, so this little cluster is worrying me.Anyone having their packages delayed to international buyers?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    YES. They are getting stuck continually in the international clearing house, or the people's prospective customs clearing offices in their own countries. I've been on the phone a lot lately. The 4 culprit countries for me have been France, Italy, Germany, and Denmark. Call your local Postal Inspector/Consumer Affairs and see if they can do anything for you. For NYC, that should not be fun, but give it a try. If you sent it registered w/return receipt, or Express, you should be good. If not, best of luck.
    The good news is they are allegedly changing it so all Global Priority packages can be tracked with a tracking number as of May.
    Peace
    T.N.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah one of these is to Japan. I've never had a problem in Japan!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That's scary. Japan is rock solid, wtf! Completely different clearing house too.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm waiting on several packages from sellers in the US which should have been with me here in London over a month ago. Never had it happen like that before - there are always one or two slow ones but this is stuff I bought in January still not showing.

That's exactly the month in question. These are all packages that were sent in January.

Fuck me man, hopefully stuff shows up eventually!

Well now that I check the $200 record was only paid on 2/18... chances are the record was mailed several days afterward... still not THAT long, although longer than normal.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Well now that I check the $200 record was only paid on 2/18... chances are the record was mailed several days afterward... still not THAT long, although longer than normal.

get a blog, man

Get something other than Uruguayan Beatles pressings to sell.

Yeah, that just happened (to you).

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    LOL

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Get something other than Uruguayan Beatles pressings to sell.

Yeah, that just happened (to you).

and now that we are talking about it, I have this weird uruguayan Beatles piece that's listed in Pokora's book under rare covers. Problem is, the record is almost unplayable. But being the cover the important part, should I still ebay this record?

PS: sorry for using your blog for this question

I think, if you add this picture to your listings:

you will brand your auctions with the kind of whimsical and recreational lifestyle necessary to buy such a thing.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I think, if you add this picture to your listings:

you will brand your auctions with the kind of whimsical and recreational lifestyle necessary to buy such a thing.

you obviously don't know the mind of the crusty Beatles collectro. These people take their shit very seriously.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    even though they would never play the lp in any case, the true Beatles collectro wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that it was less than M-

---

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    even though they would never play the lp in any case, the true Beatles collectro wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that it was less than M-

---

What is it that motivates the true Beatles collectro?

Were they excluded from the cool Beatles-listening social circles in their youth and are now driven to acquire pristine copies of every Beatles pressing in hopes that doing so will erase their painful childhood memories?

These people are fascinatingly repugnant to me.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

they like the Beatles, the Beatles only have 10 of so lps worth of stuff, so in order to keep collecting the Beatles they keep buying the same songs in different pressings, demo bootlegs, picture sleeve 45s, juke box eps, 78s from India - you name it.

my car mechanic is a hardcore Beatles collectro, he's very honest & dependable - I just have to listen to 30 minutes of talk about 1/2 speed masters & so forth every time I bring my car in for an oil change.

---

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

---

Were they excluded from the cool Beatles-listening social circles in their youth and are now driven to acquire pristine copies of every Beatles pressing in hopes that doing so will erase their painful childhood memories?

I think you are over-hatting. They are usually instant payers and very polite people.
    I like them, plus, there's a thin line between them and say...mmm...a latin collectro, for instance.

---

I think you are over-hatting. They are usually instant payers and very polite people.
    I like them, plus, there's a thin line between them and say...mmm...a latin collectro, for instance.

They are instant payers because they are dudes in their fifties who, instead of devoting the resources that a man of that age might be expected to possess to, say, buying a home, have opted to live in their mothers' basements and sink every spare penny into Uruguayan Beatles pressings.

I think you are over-hatting.

Also: BAN

There is no such thing.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    They are instant payers because they are dudes in their fifties who, instead of devoting the resources that a man of that age might be expected to possess to, say, buying a home, they have opted to live in their mothers' basements and sink every spare penny into Uruguayan Beatles pressings.

do you know that uruguayan Beatles pressing read "LOS Beatles" instead of "The Beatles" on their covers?
    That's like, rare, you know? I admire Beatles collectros living in a basement in the same way I admire a priest.
    One life, and they made their choice. We, we are just replicating a Simpsons episode.
    It takes some ballz to be a Beatles collectro.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Who needs a house when you can have this?

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    I have received word from three different dudes in three different countries that they haven't gotten their work. One of these is a $200 record, which has me a bit shook.

I've never had any problems before, so this little cluster is worrying me.

Anyone having their packages delayed to international buyers?

Shipping services from the US has always been very reliable for me and I'm in Europe. If anything sometimes the packages gets here faster than they are suppose to. I never had anything gone lost. I only expirienced very few delays and they were actually all from people through this board. I had one package that was 3 months dalyed, which I got confirmed from the date on the package.

As for the two other instances I had; the sellers were so fuckin unreliable that I'm not even sure that I can pin those on the post office. (I hope you are reading)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

As for the two other instances I had; the sellers were so fuckin unreliable that I'm not even sure that I can pin those on the post office. (I hope you are reading)

names, por favor.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I have received word from three different dudes in three different countries that they haven't gotten their work. One of these is a $200 record, which has me a bit shook.

Shipping services from the US has always been very reliable for me and I'm in Europe. If anything sometimes the packages gets here faster than they are suppose to. I never had anything gone lost. I only expirienced very few delays and they were actually all from people through this board. I had one package that was 3 months dalyed, which I got confirmed from the date on the package.

I often get stuff in less than a week but several pieces I bought in Jan haven't turned up. With one exception, I've dealt with the sellers in question before and I trust them to have sent out goods when they say they did. It's got to be a postal thing.

• I wonder if the security alert being raised to orange last week has anything to do with this??

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

heavy shit takes longer yo

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    YES. They are getting stuck continually in the international clearing house, or the people's prospective customs clearing offices in their own countries. I've been on the phone a lot lately. The 4 culprit countries for me have been France, Italy, Germany, and Denmark.

This sounds about right. I'm in Denmark, and I've been experiencing some huuuge delays in packages from the US and Canada the last year or so. I'm increasingly convinced that our customs office is the culprit. They are really trying to cash in on potential taxes on goods from non-EU countries, so apparently everything gets checked now. The packages I recieve have almost always been opened, and I can see it's been sitting with them for a while. I've experienced delays up to 2 months or so. It's a fucking drag. The meaning of Priority Mail gets completely lost in all this.

This is mostly with "private" looking packages. If I order something from say, Dustygroove with an invoice attached, it gets here in a jiffy with the taxes swiftly added, no checking/opening.

Can't say what the deal is with the Japan thing though.

Wait... so you have to pay taxes if Dusty Groove ships to you?

Because I don't want my customers to pay taxes, but I want them to get their merchandise.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

Because I don't want my customers to pay taxes, but I want them to get their merchandise.

Anything marked above 21 EUR is 25percent tax plus handling fees in Denmark even if it's been marked as "gift". But only if it comes from a Non-EU country.

Sometimes they hold back packages that don't have a declared value. I have used the excuse that it was trades, which it also was many times, but not always and I can't put a price on them. If I tell them the value they usually tax me even if I use the trade excuse.

And it's especially hard to avoid paying taxes if the packages has a sticker from the record store on. If it just looks like a private sender then they are often easier to get to drop the tax.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Yes, It's an added 25% sales tax + 12% customs duties to the price of any new goods you purchase. This is why buyers always want their package marked as a gift.

The thing is, this is only applicable for NEW items, NOT 2nd hand stuff. But they're so paranoid of people trying to sneak stuff by them that they open a lot of packages if they suspect "foul play" :eyeroll:. A lot of things are way cheaper for us to buy over the internet than in the stores here, so the government is trying to cut their losses on the mass amount of overseas purchases.

So I don't get taxed for buying some used records, but the package still gets caught in the system

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I've had some long waits shipping to Scandinavia as of late...Had 6 pieces take up to 6 to 7 weeks to get there. Luckily for me, they were all understanding buyers and waited patiently. Also had a piece take about 3 weeks to get to Japan a few months ago...luckily dude sent a Intl money order...not to generalize, but the Japanese customers I have had are quick with the paypal chargebacks...