got a second to help with a lil studio set up?

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
im one of those idiot savants. i can make music but i dont know shit about initial set up. its like a foreign language to me until i get the ball rolling. i was wondering if anyone can help me to describe how i would exactly set up my midi cables to an mBox from an MPC2000XL and any thing i need to know after that...basically im running my MPC > a Yamaha mixer > Mbox > monitorswhere am i running the midi cables? do i have to rearrane the 1/4 inch cables?what do i do on the MPC?do i neeed to switch pro tools preferences?etcthere seems to be alot of steps. something that wil be easier explained if i asked one of you guys than looking at the manual...to me atleastany help would be appreciatedthanks for the time.....!!!-chris

Comments

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    What do you want to do with the MIDI cable?

For tracking purposes, you just run the midi cable from your MPC midi out to the midi in on your MBOX. I don't use Pro Tools, but sure you have to change some settings (did you try mpc-tutor.com?). You don't need to touch the 1/4 inch cables. MPC midi settings (shift+9), sync out - Mode: MIDI TIME CODE, send MMC: ON.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    What do you want to do with the MIDI cable?

For tracking purposes, you just run the midi cable from your MPC midi out to the midi in on your MBOX. I don't use Pro Tools, but sure you have to change some settings (did you try mpc-tutor.com?). You don't need to touch the 1/4 inch cables. MPC midi settings (shift+9), sync out - Mode: MIDI TIME CODE, send MMC: ON.

yea just tracking purposes

i guess thats all i needed to know

why thank you sir..

i did Midi In on MPC

Midi out on mBox

(that is what i was told to do ateast)

changed my midi syncs on the MPC

record enabled

changed the bpm on tempo

and clock enabled the record pad or whatever

i hit record and spacebar and no audio comes out?

in fact the song doesnt play at all

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I'm very far from an expert since all I use MIDI for is to sync up my computer and the MPC, but doing it like I said certainly works. And if you do it my way, MPC MIDI out/ MBox MIDI in is imperative.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    i did Midi In on MPC

Midi out on mBox

record enabled

changed the bpm on tempo

This is all right (esp MPC in, MBOX out)

You will need to enable MMC on both. Pro Tools will not play audio through audio tracks unless your recording or in auto input mode. I'd set it up as you said, making sure mmc is enabled, set the bpm and hit play in protools. The light should go on the mpc and the clock should be running as if you just hit play on the MPC. The bpm should say EXT. Open an aux track in pro tools so audio can just pass (it should be prolly mbox 1&2 in to 1&2 out, which should be your monitors.) This will allow you to make sure its running smoothly. hope thats clear...

i did Midi In on MPC

Midi out on mBox

record enabled

changed the bpm on tempo

This is all right (esp MPC in, MBOX out)

You will need to enable MMC on both. Pro Tools will not play audio through audio tracks unless your recording or in auto input mode. I'd set it up as you said, making sure mmc is enabled, set the bpm and hit play in protools. The light should go on the mpc and the clock should be running as if you just hit play on the MPC. The bpm should say EXT. Open an aux track in pro tools so audio can just pass (it should be prolly mbox 1&2 in to 1&2 out, which should be your monitors.) This will allow you to make sure its running smoothly. hope thats clear...

im pming you as we speak

theres one thing that must be wrong on my end