mixes bandwidth questions (word problem related)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
i registered with godaddy for uber cheap webhosting (only $4/month) and it allows me 25gigs of bandwidth per month. i am not experienced with this and am worried about going over because aren't the charges similiar to going over yr cell minutes? if i upload one mix at 57megabytes, how many times can it be downloaded before i exceed my bandwidth?

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i registered with godaddy for uber cheap webhosting (only $4/month) and it allows me 25gigs of bandwidth per month. i am not experienced with this and am worried about going over because aren't the charges similiar to going over yr cell minutes? if i upload one mix at 57megabytes, how many times can it be downloaded before i exceed my bandwidth?

well a gig is 1000 mb.. you should be fine unless your mixes get 'soulstrut-esque' listenership.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i do want to post the mix on here but i am scared because my bandwith has never had to answer to 'soulstrut-esque' listenership.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i do want to post the mix on here but i am scared because my bandwith has never had to answer to 'soulstrut-esque' listenership.

see, now i need to hear it.. perhaps a 'for 2 hours only' type DL would be gentle on your server?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    You might consider throwing it up on http://www.megaupload.com for the intiail onslaught and then, after all the hoopla calms down and you won't have to worry about getting your bandwith blamblammed, posting it on your webspace. You can upload something up to 500 megs on megaupload.com.

-e

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I put a mix up last night, and this morning at 11 AM my site crashed because it exceeded 10 GB in one day. Bandwidth goes fast when lurkers are downloading.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    A 57Mb mix is what... 50 mins @ 128k compression? That's what will suck your bandwidth. 96k will be fine, and if you play blazing downtempo, 64k is sufficient, and that way you can, ahem, offer to sell hi-quality CDs via Paypal or something (to support your bandwith costs)

But 25Gigs a month transfer is masses for normal folk (ie not solidsteel or strut home page or DJ Ayers[/b]). You 57 Mb mix can be downloaded 20+ times a day a you won't get shit from your ISP. If they give you shit, find an ISP that just blocks the files rather than charging you overages.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    my server guy has been telling me over and over to get a file server for my audio and video.

he kept saying he'd send me some info on it, but I think dude is spending too much time in costa rica or some shit to get back to me.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    thanks you guys have been extremely helpful. i forgot about those megauploads/ yousendit thangs as an option. speaking of blazing downtempo hahaha, it is a "sleep mix".

how funny that cosmo crashed the rub site with his mix just as i post this topic. the ironing is delicious. i was one of those people who contributed (sorry). great mix, mr. baker

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    saul good.

the mix is actually from last year, but i was just tired of it sitting around. i'm gonna be doing monthly free mixes for download, and this was the jumpoff. it was going to be hosted by schoolly d but that fell through.

anyway, mix is going to be up on a dedicated server within the hour in its its full form so i will let folkies know.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    the ironing is delicious.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    stay ironing as fuck

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    You might consider throwing it up on http://www.megaupload.com for the intiail onslaught and then, after all the hoopla calms down and you won't have to worry about getting your bandwith blamblammed, posting it on your webspace. You can upload something up to 500 megs on megaupload.com.

-e

excellent idea...

some other options:

www.yousendit.com
    www.rapidshare.de
    www.youshareit.com

pz.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

The bandwidth I have is a bit lower, although I'm wanting to make some changes to my site to be able to handle times where there may be heavy downloads.

If anything, use those sites like Rapidshare where you can put up a bit file and be able to monitor how many people are downloading it. It saves bandwidth on your domain.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

see, now i need to hear it.. perhaps a 'for 2 hours only' type DL would be gentle on your server?

If you do the limited time thing, put it up as a torrent. There are sites where you can put one up, and if there are enough people to seed it, then exit out of your client.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    if you havent already convert the Mix to mono and it'll already be half the size... 128kps in mono is well under 50megs for a solid hour.