10 RECORDS........... (DISCUSS)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
that have defined a type of sound you're after. I was bored yesterday. For me, these 10, plus Placebo reish. Most are records that I got when I first started buying, and they still hold up. I think part of my obsession comes from trying to find something that sounds similar. So what are your 10 records?

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    So who else wants to play?

• 1. M
    2. U
    3. T
    4. H
    5. A
    6. F
    7. U
    8. C
    9. K
    10.A

Aleit, what are you mad at?

And who in their right mind would wanna buy that record anyway?

1. M
    2. U
    3. T
    4. H
    5. A
    6. F
    7. U
    8. C
    9. K
    10.A

NYC hater alias, tired of seeing the same 10 records or something? Get a life, and go get some fresh air.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    that have defined a type of sound you're after.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Aleit, what are you mad at?

And who in their right mind would wanna buy that record anyway?

Yuichi, do not expose yourself as a little dude.

That record is often whispered about, yet so rare it is seldom committed to want lists. One would be audacious to ever hope to acquire such a piece.

8.5!

Ari, was just jokin'. Carry on peoples.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

NO HE WASN'T
    ALEIT BE STYLIN ON YOU!!!!!!

NO HE WASN'T

Naw I talked to Ari. He's good peoples.
    Now get focused and gimme 10!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    that have defined a type of sound you're after.

I was bored yesterday. For me, these 10, plus Placebo reish. Most are records that I got when I first started buying, and they still hold up. I think part of my obsession comes from trying to find something that sounds similar. So what are your 10 records?

After a grand purge last year, alot of these records still remain in my collection. I am in no way a "dub" expert, but that Garvey's Ghost record is something I can rock all the time. I stole it from the radio station I worked at in college and used to fuck to it all the time. Threw it on while folding some laundry the other day and shit flew. I heartily endorse that record.

• Some of my favorite records in there - still after the Bataan though!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

NO HE WASN'T

does anyone else find it kinda comical that a PM had to be exchanged between ari and yuichi to difuse this situation?

...maybe its just me.

carry on

• this is a fair representation of my interests in jazz by the end of my first 3 years or so of digging and all of this stuff still holds up 110% for me years later.

eric dolphy - last date

horace silver - cape verdean blues

lonnie smith - drives

charles mingus - town hall concert

cannonball adderley - country preacher

archie shepp - fire music

groove holmes - onsaya joy

miles davis - jazz track

bobby hutcherson - stick up

joe henderson - in n out

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

After a grand purge last year, alot of these records still remain in my collection. I am in no way a "dub" expert, but that Garvey's Ghost record is something I can rock all the time. I stole it from the radio station I worked at in college and used to fuck to it all the time. Threw it on while folding some laundry the other day and shit flew. I heartily endorse that record.

I remember copping that as a young 'un, and being a little disappointed at the absence of any obvious Scratch/King Tubby-style dub fireworks. Once I gave it a bit of time, I came to realise that it's one of those dub albums which really is all about the spaces in the sound, and I began to see it as the classic it is.

I remember copping that as a young 'un, and being a little disappointed at the absence of any obvious Scratch/King Tubby-style dub fireworks. Once I gave it a bit of time, I came to realise that it's one of those dub albums which really is all about the spaces in the sound, and I began to see it as the classic it is.

Perhaps it is a "classic" to British people!

I think this is a rather weak set--classic rhythms, but rather pedestrian mixing... which I think was actually done by some British dudes.

I understand that there is a superior Jamaican set of the same rhythms, but I've never had it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

I think this is a rather weak set--classic rhythms, but rather pedestrian mixing... which I think was actually done by some British dudes.

I understand that there is a superior Jamaican set of the same rhythms, but I've never had it.

What's with all your Brit baiting? I listened to this a couple of times and couldn't get into it. Tepid is the correct term I think. Or accessible?

What's with all your Brit baiting? I listened to this a couple of times and couldn't get into it. Tepid is the correct term I think. Or accessible?

I'd be just as inclined to hate if the people behind it were Americans!

In the interests of not being purely negative, here's a set of subtle, meditative dub that I'm really into (as opposed to the Scientist/Jammys/Tubbys stuff I usually like). Self production by Jah Youth/mix by Sylvan Morris. Very distinctive--w/ touches of harmonica--without being intrusive:

• In the interests of not being purely negative....

You feel okay, dude?

Harmonica you say?

Harmonica you say?

I believe you guys refer to it as a "mouth harp"?

I just knew I'd get aired out over this...

I cannot speak for all British people, and I have certainly heard it said that both this and the Island issue of its parent album were excessively bowdlerised for the supposed "benefit" of European listeners, but I like to think of the dub as "subtle" rather than weak. Either way, I can listen to it on its own merits, which I certainly couldn't at the time.

I just knew I'd get aired out over this...

I cannot speak for all British people, and I have certainly heard it said that both this and the Island issue of its parent album were excessively bowdlerised for the supposed "benefit" of European listeners, but I like to think of the dub as "subtle" rather than weak. Either way, I can listen to it on its own merits, which I certainly couldn't at the time.

Does there actually exist a superior Jamaican mix of the Marcus Garvey? I've heard people mention it, but the only JA issues I've heard just sounded like inferior pressings of the same mix.

Harmonica you say?

xmas cracker toy abomination.

Harmonica you say?

I've always preferred "gob-iron" myself.

Harmonica you say?

Please speak further on cracker toy abominations... we've got a lot of them on SoulStrut and I would appreciate any tips you can provide on dealing with them.

NO HE WASN'T

does anyone else find it kinda comical that a PM had to be exchanged between ari and yuichi to difuse this situation?

...maybe its just me.

carry on

actually it was I that sent an annoyed PM his way. haven't been in the best mood lately.

YALL ARE UNFOCUSED. Gimme 10!

• Ari, was just jokin'. Carry on peoples.

NO HE WASN'T

...maybe its just me.

carry on

actually it was I that sent an annoyed PM his way. haven't been in the best mood lately.

YALL ARE UNFOCUSED. Gimme 10!

***You are ignoring this poseur***