Alton and Ken LP Late Pass

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I have been a fan of both Alton Ellis and Ken Boothe for a little while, but only knew of singles ("Mouth A massey", "Is it because Im Black", etc) I had never heard their old school LPs before...I picked these two up recently and I have to say they are two of the finest LPs I have heard in years...I have been missing out...good god these dues can sing. Please allow my late pass on these jernts.

Comments

• Both fantastic records. I love finding these in collections... you need to get the early "Alton Ellis Greatest Hits" on Coxsone. Sweet shit.

• Both fantastic records. I love finding these in collections... you need to get the early "Alton Ellis Greatest Hits" on Coxsone. Sweet shit.

yeah that is gonna be my next purchase...also freaking out on the Heptones debut LP...I assume all Heptones LPs are quality?

That's a GREAT record. Really, I find Alton Ellis' early stuff really slept on (at least with people I've spoken with). But you ask any old Jamaican dude above the age of 50, and they swear by him. My dad's a huge fan and turned me onto Alton. Really great and distinctive voice.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    good god these dudes can sing.

you may want to check for Slim Smith as well if you haven't already...

yeah that is gonna be my next purchase...also freaking out on the Heptones debut LP...I assume all Heptones LPs are quality?

Yeah. On Top, Book Of Rules (Harry J issue LP, not the crappy Night Food which has "Book Of Rules" on it), and Cool Rasta (which features some of the same tracks) are essential.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Both fantastic records. I love finding these in collections... you need to get the early "Alton Ellis Greatest Hits" on Coxsone. Sweet shit.

Yeah. On Top, Book Of Rules (Harry J issue LP, not the crappy Night Food which has "Book Of Rules" on it), and Cool Rasta (which features some of the same tracks) are essential.

Plus later--and better known amongst hipsteur types--Party Time LP.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    also freaking out on the Heptones debut LP...I assume all Heptones LPs are quality?

I love On Top, but I though Ting-a-Ling was pretty weak when I heard it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

the crappy Night Food

i would not call Night Food crappy - it's not consistent throughout, but what's good on it is very good imo. Sweet Talkin is a great lovers tune and Country Boy is a nice roots track.
    if anything, it's a little too modern compared to the Ellis and Boothe records mentioned above.

'Alton and Hortense Ellis at Studio One' and 'Sunday Coming' are good Alton records as well.