THE GOOD THE BAD & THE QUEEN

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
anybody checking for this band that's too cool to have a name, with an album produced by dangermouse?"The album has gained more fame, however, as Blur frontman Damon Albarn's new project. The band behind the album consists of Albarn, Clash bassist Paul Simonon, former Verve guitarist Simon Tong and Afrobeat pioneer and Africa 70 drummer Tony Allen." - wikii've seen some press but haven't heard anything outside their myspace page and i don't even know if the album's been released in the USis it or ?

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I heard one song the other day and was shocked at how unfunky the drumming was. Boring emoish stuff. I;ll withhold judgement for now but was not impressed.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I heard one song the other day and was shocked at how unfunky the drumming was. Boring emoish stuff. I;ll withhold judgement for now but was not impressed.

It's very downbeat and melancholy, but I like what I've heard of it. Hardcore Tony Allen fans might feel he's underused on this record, but personally I think his drumming is really subtle and jazzy. Anyone expecting him to do his Fela thing should probably look elsewhere, though.

• I've heard most of it, & really think its nothing special. The press over here have been going CRAZEEE over it, album of the month in all the music mags, best album since Parklife, etc etc etc. I'm obviously not hearing what they are hearing. Its nice enough, but it just sounds like Albarn spreading himself a little thinly.

Allen is there but you wouldn't have really noticed if another drummer was taking his place.

& the top hat, missing teeth, I'm a steet urchin thing is really tedious.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Boring emoish stuff. I;ll withhold judgement for now

HAha

i copped the cd at work today. its nothing offensive but upon first listen i think your description is kinda right on

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

It's very downbeat and melancholy... Hardcore Tony Allen fans might feel he's underused on this record, but personally I think his drumming is really subtle and jazzy. Anyone expecting him to do his Fela thing should probably look elsewhere, though.

Been rockin this for a week and a half, there are a couple cool songs, but nothing remarkable. its kinda like double-sad gorillaz with beach boys/brian wilson flourishes...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    ..a waste of Tony Allen

-spidey

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Too bad if it sucks. I heard one of the singles that someone posted here (AlienIverson?). Thought it wasn't too bad, sort of like the Gorilaz more or less.

I like Damon Albarn's Mali Music album, and Tony Allen's project from a couple years ago (Psycho on da Bus) was a cool, modern twist on Afrobeat.

• i think that these live performances @ abbey road studios are more enjoyable than the album:

• best album since Parklife

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    best album since Parklife

So am I missing out on something here, having no idea what this "Parklife" thats so special is... ?