~~Job Advice Strut~~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Have any of you ever been aggressively recruited by another company other than your current employer? I like my current job and haven't thought about leaving, but over the last month a company that I admire some how got my info and has been trying to fly me out for interviews etc....What is the protocol on something like this? Do I tell my boss? I don't really feel strongly about changing my situation, but I'm curious and a little honored that they sought me out. I'm sure I would have a better title, and pay, but it would require me to move accross the country and change my current paradigm.What would Marvin Whoremonger do?

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I don't see any reason to tell your boss until you're seriously considering taking the job. Giving ample notice before quitting would be generous and a very good look. But you probably already know that.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i would check it out and see what they're offering. after that, if you do seriously want to consider it, you should tell your current employer and if they value your work they'll probably offer you more money, better benefits, ect. then just weigh in the different packages and geographic location and make your choice. if it doesn't work out with the new company at least you tried and don't have any what ifs hanging over your head.

• On my last job change, I consulted a former corporate HR professional, and he said I was under no obligation to tell my current employeer ANYTHING until there was an offer. It only muddies the waters; if they think you are making plans to leave, it can affect how they treat you and your work there. In his words, better not to mention anything than bring it up, and then have things fall through. Which, in my case, was great advice, as it took 3 months longer than expected for everything to settle into place.

Gonna be in VT on Sunday and Monday. what's poppin' in burlington?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Gonna be in VT on Sunday and Monday. what's poppin' in burlington?

I'll be shredding on Sunday morning, other than that I'm open. Holler.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Have any of you ever been aggressively recruited by another company other than your current employer?

I like my current job and haven't thought about leaving, but over the last month a company that I admire some how got my info and has been trying to fly me out for interviews etc....

What is the protocol on something like this? Do I tell my boss? I don't really feel strongly about changing my situation, but I'm curious and a little honored that they sought me out. I'm sure I would have a better title, and pay, but it would require me to move accross the country and change my current paradigm.

What would Marvin Whoremonger do?

Hey Nate,

We're in an era where company loyalty is a thing of the past. On a slight downturn, the company could give you your walking papers. That said, you should subscribe to a career model where you make decisions that benefit YOUR career. There is nothing wrong with having a free-agent mentality in today's job market given the relative lack of security. I surely subscribe to this mantra regarding my career. No need to feel guilty about being recruited or intrigued by a potential opportunity. It's none of your company's business, as others have said, until you consider taking another job. Best of luck, and keep doing the thing!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I would definitely find out what's up and then parlay till you get the best position with the best coin.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Hey Nate,

We're in an era where company loyalty is a thing of the past. On a slight downturn, the company could give you your walking papers. That said, you should subscribe to a career model where you make decisions that benefit YOUR career. There is nothing wrong with having a free-agent mentality in today's job market given the relative lack of security. I surely subscribe to this mantra regarding my career. No need to feel guilty about being recruited or intrigued by a potential opportunity. It's none of your company's business, as others have said, until you consider taking another job. Best of luck, and keep doing the thing!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

AS USUAL, THIS IS THE RAEL TALK ^^^

Peep it out Nate, maybe you can hook us up with Surf gear or something soon? HAWLA.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Tough call! What does the fianc??e want to do?