Food Strut: Winter Edition

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
OK, for the folks experiencing the cold winter weather right now:Buffalo Chili with Roasted Jalapeno and Honey Cornbread toppingBasically, this is some great chili. You should try making some. Make your standard chili recipe however you like it but use ground buffalo meat (or don't, it's up to you, i also added seared chunks of stew meat), your favorite types of chili powder (i used a traditional dark chili powder, a new mexican one that's spicy as f%$k, and some regular mexican chili powder), kidney beans (i used dark and light), and whatever else you like (i did onion, garlic, red and green bell peppers, california red jalapeno, green jalapeno, habanero, and a little corn), a little cumin, a little oregano, some chicken broth, some canned tomatoes, etc. etc.. Once you're done cooking your chili, pour some (or all) into a casserole dish leaving an inch and a half or two of room and let it cool for a little bit (15 minutes or so). Whip up your cornbread mixture, prepare it how you want (i roasted a jalapeno and diced it up, added that and some honey) and pour a little less than an inch evenly over the top of the chili in the casserole dish. Bake about 20 or 25 minutes at 375, or until the cornbread is golden. It's pretty simple, pretty easy, and very good. Having a sweet honey cornbread shell baked onto the top of some spicy chili is perfect. Add on your favorite hearty winter food recipe ideas. Soups or stews from scratch are encouraged, but anything is welcome. Anybody got a good south western green chile recipe?

Comments

• My favorite winter dish:

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    OK, for the folks experiencing the cold winter weather right now:

Buffalo Chili with Roasted Jalapeno and Honey Cornbread topping

Basically, this is some great chili. You should try making some. Make your standard chili recipe however you like it but use ground buffalo meat (or don't, it's up to you, i also added seared chunks of stew meat), your favorite types of chili powder (i used a traditional dark chili powder, a new mexican one that's spicy as f%$k, and some regular mexican chili powder), kidney beans (i used dark and light), and whatever else you like (i did onion, garlic, red and green bell peppers, california red jalapeno, green jalapeno, habanero, and a little corn), a little cumin, a little oregano, some chicken broth, some canned tomatoes, etc. etc..

Once you're done cooking your chili, pour some (or all) into a casserole dish leaving an inch and a half or two of room and let it cool for a little bit (15 minutes or so). Whip up your cornbread mixture, prepare it how you want (i roasted a jalapeno and diced it up, added that and some honey) and pour a little less than an inch evenly over the top of the chili in the casserole dish. Bake about 20 or 25 minutes at 375, or until the cornbread is golden.

It's pretty simple, pretty easy, and very good. Having a sweet honey cornbread shell baked onto the top of some spicy chili is perfect.

Add on your favorite hearty winter food recipe ideas. Soups or stews from scratch are encouraged, but anything is welcome. Anybody got a good south western green chile recipe?

I just made chili the other day. Mine was very similar to yours but i used venison sausage and stew meat, ancho powder and chipoltle in adobo. Chili hits the spot this time of year.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    OK, for the folks experiencing the cold winter weather right now:

Buffalo Chili with Roasted Jalapeno and Honey Cornbread topping

Basically, this is some great chili. You should try making some. Make your standard chili recipe however you like it but use ground buffalo meat (or don't, it's up to you, i also added seared chunks of stew meat), your favorite types of chili powder (i used a traditional dark chili powder, a new mexican one that's spicy as f%$k, and some regular mexican chili powder), kidney beans (i used dark and light), and whatever else you like (i did onion, garlic, red and green bell peppers, california red jalapeno, green jalapeno, habanero, and a little corn), a little cumin, a little oregano, some chicken broth, some canned tomatoes, etc. etc..

Once you're done cooking your chili, pour some (or all) into a casserole dish leaving an inch and a half or two of room and let it cool for a little bit (15 minutes or so). Whip up your cornbread mixture, prepare it how you want (i roasted a jalapeno and diced it up, added that and some honey) and pour a little less than an inch evenly over the top of the chili in the casserole dish. Bake about 20 or 25 minutes at 375, or until the cornbread is golden.

It's pretty simple, pretty easy, and very good. Having a sweet honey cornbread shell baked onto the top of some spicy chili is perfect.

Add on your favorite hearty winter food recipe ideas. Soups or stews from scratch are encouraged, but anything is welcome. Anybody got a good south western green chile recipe?

I just made chili the other day. Mine was very similar to yours but i used venison sausage and stew meat, ancho powder and chipoltle in adobo. Chili hits the spot this time of year.

Dude, the day after i made sloppy joes I made veison chilli just like this. odd. pensey's spices all the way. nothing like hot comfort food when it's -30 F outside.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    My favorite winter dish:

try it with two scoops of vanilla ice cream in it.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    smoked beef rib-eye and citrus salad, roquefort and mixed herbs, drissel with virgin olive oil and pomme granite juice

winter here means nice and tender aussie lamb.

racked aussie lamb with rocket and sage pesto pommes anna (gratin) ratatouille and crisps of purple potatoes, truffel oil

coffee and armagnac.
    keeps you warm in cold times

bon appetite !

• I made this last night.

Risotto with sundried tomatoes, spinach and pesto

first saute (in olive oil and butter) a finely chopped yellow onion, half a head of finely chopped celery, and a couple of cloves of garlic. keep on pretty low heat for about 15 minutes.

Heat a about a quart of stock (I used vegetable) in a seperate pot.

while this is going, make your pesto - take a couple of handfuls of basil leaves and a small clove of garlic. Either bash with a mortar and pestle or put in the food processor until pretty smooth. Add a handfull of lightly toasted pinenuts and continue to bash or pulse in the food processor. I added some lemon zest too. Then add a handful of freshly grated parmesean and olive oil and stir until you get it nice and runny. Set aside.

When the vegetable are soft, add two cups of arborio rice and turn up the heat and stir. It will begin to fry and turn slightly translucent after about two minutes. Then add about two glasses full of dry white wine and keep stirring until it is all absorbed by the rice. Turn down the heat to a simmer (this is important) and add a handful of chopped sundried tomatoes, a big pinch of salt and some pepper and big ladle full of your hot stock and stir. When it is mostly absorbed, add another laddle full of stock and continue this pattern until the rice is soft, but still has a nice bite (will take about 20 minutes). I didn't use quite a full quart, but it was pretty close. When you think it is done, check the salt and add a handfull of freshly grated parmesean, half a stick of butter, and a large handful of julienned spinach and stir in. Cover and let sit for about two minutes - this step is very important. Plate it up, add a big spoonful of pesto, a drizzle of olive oil, some pinenuts, and some grated cheese (I used ricotta salata) and serve. It's rich, but damn tasty.

• sweet potatoes with apples, walnuts and bit of maple syrup.

looks like an meal to me !
    taken ya wife there ?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    cabbage in all its varieties - cheap and healthy

favourites include: savoy stew, kale, pointed cabbage salad and - of course - sauerkraut

• a face full of warmth...

• then this:

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I made this last night.

first saute (in olive oil and butter) a finely chopped yellow onion, half a head of finely chopped celery, and a couple of cloves of garlic. keep on pretty low heat for about 15 minutes.

You may arrive at a better result if you use shallot instead of onion and keep the flame high enough so that the shallot is transluscent in minutes instead of a quarter hour.

I made this last night.

You may arrive at a better result if you use shallot instead of onion and keep the flame high enough so that the shallot is transluscent in minutes instead of a quarter hour.

always use 1/8 of the amount of garlic you think you need. (paul bocuse)
    and risotto is all about slow food man.
    let it take its time. saute your rice also and give it a shot of vermouth.
    use good stock (homemade no cubes).
    monter avec beurre.