Silver Apples

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited December 2015 in Music Talk
ill. that is all

Comments

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    agreed.

i got to see them play in the 90s...also ill.

almost as ill: Lothar and the Hand People.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yes..and Simeon is a strange dude, my band opened a few shows for them and spending a few days around that dude you could tell he is of a different ilk, really nice though and put up with all my dumb fan-boy questions..

anyone on here have the Spectrum with the Silver Apples "lake of tears" LP? The spectrum/apples collabs are boring as fuck so I never bought the CD, but I just learned that the vinyl version has three pre-1st LP silver apples tracks...need to track one of those down, really wanna hear those tunes.

• i got to see them play in the 90s...also ill.

They played at the coffeehouse I owned in the 90s - a once in a lifetime experience. It was a very cool show. Great band.

Simeon told me a couple of cool stories over dinner I'll share - one tragic and one hilarious.

TRAGIC: They recorded some tracks with Jimi Hendrix for their third album. Jimi was recording in the same studio, heard what they were doing and asked if he could join in. The record company went out of business, didn't pay for the studio time, and the tapes were held by the studio until full payment. Simeon couldn't get the dough together and eventually the studio was bought by someone and the tapes destroyed.

FUNNY: Andy Warhol was trying to cash in on the success of Nico and had another singer/star named Ultra Violet he was trying to team up with an established group. Paul Morrissey approached Simeon and asked if Ultra could tryout to which Simeon replied "No". Morrissey was very upset and said something like "Do you know who Andy is??? He is a very powerful and famous man!". Simeon still said no. Paul came back later and said "Andy will trade you a painting if you let Ultra Violet try out as singer for your band. Andy's paintings are worth a lot of money you know." Simeon agreed and had Andy Warhol do a portrait of him before they tried Ultra Violet out. Well, she was awful. Quote: "She sounded like Yoko Ono with a stick up her ass" and they canned her right after the first try out. I guess Warhol was quite pissed.

Deep beats and Deep Crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

Simeon couldn't get the dough together and eventually the studio was bought by someone and the tapes destroyed.

!!!

thanks for sharing those stories though, interesting stuff.

i like this record a lot. however my copy is missing the insert/poster (which is it?)..

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Simeon couldn't get the dough together and eventually the studio was bought by someone and the tapes destroyed.

!!!

i like this record a lot. however my copy is missing the insert/poster (which is it?)..

me too.

I think it's a one page 4 pannel thing of pics. Not exactly a poster, I guess.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

i find it kinda hard to picture this... someone buys a music studio, finds some tapes with unreleased jimi hendrix material from the 70s, and decides to throw it in the trash? i mean, if you buy a damn music studio, you should atleast have a little music knowledge!!

you got the name of the studio?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

i find it kinda hard to picture this... someone buys a music studio, finds some tapes with unreleased jimi hendrix material from the 70s, and decides to throw it in the trash? i mean, if you buy a damn music studio, you should atleast have a little music knowledge!!

I remember him telling this story...I believe the property as a whole was purchased, the person who bought it didnt care it was a studio, and had the place torn down, if I remember correctly.

• Simeon couldn't get the dough together and eventually the studio was bought by someone and the tapes destroyed.

seems pretty typical. hendrix had sessions with arthur lee and bo hannson that are apparently gone too.

i was the roady for spectrum for the first half of their tour. they played a few shows w/ silver apples.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i mean, if you buy a damn music studio, you should atleast have a little music knowledge!!

This cracked me up!

People buy stuff everyday that they have no knowledge of nor care anything about.

Also, I hate to suggest this, but it is entirely possible that the story is, in whole or part, shall we say....exaggerated? I don't know about y'all, but many musicians I have known through the years are capable of telling extremely entertaining tales that may or may not be apocryphal.

A casual jam session with Jimi Hendrix turns into something caught on tape but through a series of increasingly hard to pin down circumstances the evidence of said meeting is mysteriously and thoroughly erased for all time. Not saying dude's telling tall ones, but you can see how stuff can get blown up over the years.

• Also, I hate to suggest this, but it is entirely possible that the story is, in whole or part, shall we say....exaggerated? I don't know about y'all, but many musicians I have known through the years are capable of telling extremely entertaining tales that may or may not be apocryphal.

True, true. I mean I'm waaaaaay to cool to come off as some starry eyed newbie, especially back in '97, who's extremely stoked to have the Silver Apples play at his coffeehouse. But if I was (and I wasn't dammit), I'm sure Simeon might have stretched the truth just a little bit to see the jaw drop factor on me.

But on the other hand, he seemed pretty laid back and humble. No reason to tell tall tales, he was just excited people still cared about his music.

I think I do remember him telling me the studio was torn down and something else built over it.

SONIC

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I love Contact!

Sadly, Danny Taylor just died 2 months ago

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    I love Contact!

Sadly, Danny Taylor just died 2 months ago

Danny was the man! If you like house music...he should be your god! R.I.P

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

!!!

me too.

I think it's a one page 4 pannel thing of pics. Not exactly a poster, I guess.
    Peep the insert:

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    yes!

thankyou

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    WOW!!!!

thanks reynaldo

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    someone explain this record too me? what does it sound like?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    WOW!!!!

thanks reynaldo

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Wow, insert is nice. Insane photos. It looks so dated, like the air was a different color back then. It was, I remember.

Never heard of 'em. I've always enjoyed music by cats that looked like this in the late 60's, early seventies.[/b](no emo)
    Anybody sendit?

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts

Read the liner notes. They sound like a more propulsive, hippified version of Suicide. You know who Suicide are, don't you?

Bottom line is get it right away.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Read the liner notes. They sound like a more propulsive, hippified version of Suicide.

With Drums!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

(The_Mack, are you kidding?)

The S/T and Contact are two of my favorite albums. The lyrics are a tad dated, but everything else is just so far ahead of its time, it's scary - these were recorded in '67 and '68 (!!!)

Just imagine Simeon playing The Simeon back then to a crowd of jaded rock critics. And the drums - holy shit!

Also: the vintage Taylor Drums demos on "The Garden" should be re-issued as-is.

Bottom line is get it right away.

• Do you know if any of their tracks was sampled?

I noticed one was used on a track from the Mo Wax Headz II compilation..

• What!??

Surely that is way overpriced?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Do you know if any of their tracks was sampled?

Please see the soundtrack to "Kids".

Maybe an Unkle remix, too?

• that is mono. so not that overpriced. and doesn't that "groove is in the heart" deelite song sample them?

What!??

Surely that is way overpriced?

• Just to add.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• whoa! thanks Mel and Reynaldo...

• whoa! thanks Mel and Reynaldo...

indeed