The Wire people...thoughts on the The Corner?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
In my perpetual latepassness, I finished the Wire to date and went back to the Corner miniseries. I was glad to do it this way, as so many Wire stars were (pre)Cameo'd.I loved how they concluded the series with interviews of the REAL corner folks.Clarke Peters' character was this dude I knew from the DC methadone clinic where I worked. Those swollen hands were no joke. I swear the dude smelled like a dead body when he sat in my office, but I so much looked forward to seeing him. So on point. Thoughts?

Comments

• this guy is gifted. easily one of my favorites.

• anyone remember the scene where he's fencing the cell phones to barksdale's crew towards the end of season 3? your man was pure brillance in that scene.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the corner was real hard to watch man. i mean, the wire was fucking depressing but the corner was just some other shit. i mean, we got drug problems in hawaii but aint no h up here.

daniels being a junkie was fucking hilarious though cos i saw the wire before the corner.

• I loved how they concluded the series with interviews of the REAL corner folks.

You should check this book out...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

daniels being a junkie was fucking hilarious though cos i saw the wire before the corner.

It's actually more than just Daniels. His wife Marla was a junkie on The Corner too. So was Lester. I think it was the kind of situation where David Simon was rapaying the favor by promoting the black actors he used as junkies to more esteemed roles.

The Corner is definately high quality, though. Everyone should check it out, but don't expect anything even half as sexy as The Wire. Shit is just bleak bleak bleak. Check out the book while you're at it too.

• i read the book on soulstruts recomendation...
    a month after reading it i actually found myself in the situation of ripping copper piping out of a vacated building.

good book
    im going to watch the corner soon

• I could not get through the Corner. I thought it was awful.

And I am huge Wire fan.

The Wire, while no less depressing and "real" than the Corner IMHO, at least has entertainment value. The Corner, on the other hand, was just boring.

Call me disconnected, but I do not reccommend the Corner to anyone. Unless you like hour upon hour of shreiking crack addicts and long, rambling dope missions with no real action or interesting storyline.

That said the Corner has some damn fine acting.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    if you like the wire and want something to read, buy homicide, the book that started it all

• if you like the wire and want something to read, buy homicide, the book that started it all

great book.

you may also want to check out this bad boy:

all 122 episodes!!! and the packaging alone is sick. copped it for $150 online somewhere.