One of the first songs you remember liking

Comments

• My Dad used to play me John Handy's Hard Work all the time and it was definitely one of my early favorites.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

also...that Dutch version of the number song somebody just dropped here is

????????

• theme song from the cartoon star blazers. i LOVED it. had the words memorized and would sing along. i think i probably liked it more than the actual show. in fact i don't recall much of the cartoon...just the song

• I spent hours and hours and hours listening to this record. My first concert ever was the Jackson Victory tour '84. I was 2 years old. That's one of my earliest memories in life. True story: when my ma was otherwise occupied, I managed to put one of those iron-on MJ faces directly onto my chest (fuck a t-shirt). It was there for like 2 months and I loved every minute of it.

• Joplin's "The Entertainer" b/w "Maple Leaf Rag"

I was 4 or 5, and The Sting OST was

I remember being about 3 or 4 and dancing around the kitchen with my mom when ever "The Entertainer" came on the radio

• Anything from the Blues Brothers OST, especially Theme from Rawhide, and "Soothe me" by Sam & Dave.

Also Grieg's "Anitra's Dance" from the Peer Gynt suite.

- j

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    theme song from the cartoon star blazers. i LOVED it. had the words memorized and would sing along. i think i probably liked it more than the actual show. in fact i don't recall much of the cartoon...just the song

I don't remember the song at all but I got up and watched
    the show everyday before school. I loved that show!

• butterfly ball - love is all

I spent hours and hours and hours listening to this record. My first concert ever was the Jackson Victory tour '84. I was 2 years old. That's one of my earliest memories in life. True story: when my ma was otherwise occupied, I managed to put one of those iron-on MJ faces directly onto my chest (fuck a t-shirt). It was there for like 2 months and I loved every minute of it.

You got to have a photo of that floating around.

• When I was very young I had a tape with a Scott Cossu album on one side and Foday Musa Suso on the other that I was very fond of going to sleep to. Jan & Dean's "Surf City" was my favorite song for years.

First song I learned all the words to was "Yesterday." I remember being very methodical about it too - writing all the words down and then rewinding the first verse over and over until I had it down, then the second and so on. I've never been very good about remembering lyrics.

I listened to oldies radio pretty much nonstop until I was about 12 too, so that's a big influence.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Chuck Berry...

Many years ago I was given a Charley label sampler as a birthday present. The disc had loads of old blues and R&B on it and of course Dee Dee Bridgewater's "How High The Moon" (fast live version which I still look for, headz).

I remember I was into that "Modern" 80s Trenchcoat soul schitt at the time, but the Springsteen-head friends that saw that disc just saw "Soul and Blues" and thought that would be right up my street. I was like "Gee thanks." [deadpan].

Anyway, I'd not listened to stuff like "Cadillac Assembly Line" and "Mannish Boy" and the like since I was a kid. And you know what? I wanted to hate those songs as being the definition of corny, but as an adult, I realised those fucking tunes are magic. "Johnny B Goode" is a killer. There is no pretension or hipsterness about them, there was no irony or internet back then. They are just shit-kicking tunes.

If you hatt on those tunes, you have no pulse. Kids just pick up the energy in those performance because kids don't judge.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    When we went to the pizza parlor my Dad always dropped a quarter so we could here "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown"

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    sesame street theme song.
    some of you are bullshittin!

why?

i dont know. i feel like some people are trying to look cool. picking tracks that make them look like they been listening to cool music since they were toddlers. where are the "Itsy Bitsy Spiders" and the "Jack n Jill" nursery rhymes?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    When we went to the pizza parlor my Dad always dropped a quarter so we could here "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown"

That's the first thing that came to mind for me...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

That's the first thing that came to mind for me...

Seriously...just pick any Jim Croce hit from that time. I also remember my fave jukebox picks were Elton John's version of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" and that Melanie song about Brand New Rollerkates! Same era.

I also recall my Mom's favorite toppings were shrimp and pinapple.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i dont know. i feel like some people are trying to look cool. picking tracks that make them look like they been listening to cool music since they were toddlers. where are the "Itsy Bitsy Spiders" and the "Jack n Jill" nursery rhymes?

I'm saying--these little dudes need to keep it real.

b/w

For me, it was a live Cold Crush tape from '77.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    mom had N. Diamond on lock.

"coming to america" was an early favorite of mine.

sesame street theme song.
    some of you are bullshittin!

why?

I think songs like that are assumed..as well as tv shows...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I remember I would beg for Eye Of The Tiger every time we went to the pizza parlor. I don't even know what year that came out, but I remember loving it to death. also that song that goes "ooh ooh witchy woman". And I remember thinking that "Take It To The Limit" song was saying "take it to the lemon".

Also I remember liking that song that had the samples about vietnam. I don't know what it was called or who did it. it was that dude talking about vietnam.

Eye of the tiger was definitely a fave though. Until Thriller hit, and then that shit was all over. It was MJ all day, everyday.

Also I remember liking that song that had the samples about vietnam. I don't know what it was called or who did it. it was that dude talking about vietnam.

Was it an electro number, with a sampled voice stuttering "19"?

Sg

Sg

yeah, something like that...

Sg

yeah, something like that...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    EDDIE RABBIT - "Drivin' My Life Away"

• yes that lp. some other things were mentioned that i really liked but wasnt actually asking for it to be bought for me though.

• Beach Boys- Barbara Ann. My grandma had an old cabinet style record player in her basement with all of my dad's 45s from when he was a kid, and I would always make her play this song.

The Drifters- Up On the Roof. My dad had a Drifters Greatest Hits LP and I used to listen to that shit non stop in the summer. In the days before A/C when the windows would be open and you could hear the sounds of the neighborhood.

contemporary stuff, I loved The Bangles- Walk Like an Egyptian and MJ- Beat It as a youngster.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I know this is lame, but "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin...

damn I was a cool kid...

(imagine pig tails and "do-do do do dido do do do doooooo")

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    When I was really little, it was all about "At The Hop".

I know this is lame, but "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin...

damn I was a cool kid...

(imagine pig tails and "do-do do do dido do do do doooooo")

I could see how a kid could like that song.

Luckily when it came out I was old enough to know how awful it was.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    When I was really little, it was all about "At The Hop".