One of the first songs you remember liking

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited June 2016 in Music Talk
I was listening to Chuck Berry earlier tonight and the tune made me think...Johnny B Good was one of the first tracks I remember feeling. Maybe I was 5 or younger. Remember one of the first songs you remember liking???

Comments

• Black Sabbath - "Iron Man"

• "Rubber Band Man" The Spinners..... I was 6 years old.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    'Little Willy'-The Sweet
    'Suspicious Minds'-Elvis
    'Boy Named Sue'-Johnny Cash

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Joplin's "The Entertainer" b/w "Maple Leaf Rag"

I was 4 or 5, and The Sting OST was

Even further back were the hymns my mother and father sang to me - "Rock Of Ages," "There's Something About That Name," and "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me." Still powerful shit to me, despite my Agnosticism.

• My musical memories go back farther than my other memories. I remember the sound of Mariachi's horns from when I lived in Mazatlan, Mex. as a baby. But I clearly remember loving when my mom sang to me, "You are the sunshine of my life....". I musta been one or two, when the song was new.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    50 Ways to Leave Your Lover was the first song I remember
    knowing all the words too (at least in my 4 year old mind I knew
    all the words). I also remember loving those drums, beathead for life!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Beatles "8 Days a Week"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The furthest back I can remember is around the age
    of 5 or 6 - which is the mid-70's. People may not
    realize how big the 50's revival was during that time ...
    my favorite shows were SHA NA NA and Happy Days, I would
    listen to oldies shows like LITTLE WALTER'S TIME MACHINE
    on the radio every weekend, went and saw "American Hot Wax" and
    "The Buddy Holly Story" with my Pops, and had a pile of "Oldies but
    Goodies" comps, pilfered from my Dad's records or bought
    on thrift store trips with my Mom. There were even "sock hop"
    dances back then, where people would dress up in 50's gear and
    dance to Elvis tunes played on a stereo. I remember my Sister
    putting a fake cigarette pack rolled into my t-shirt sleeve,
    Brando-style, while I slathered brylcream in my 7-year-old
    hair for the big dance...I did those crazy jumping-jack moves
    that Fonzie did in the dance marathon episode of Happy Days,
    when he gets off the stretcher...

• keep your eye on the sparrow (baretta theme) - sammy davis jr.
    school - supertramp
    somebody done somebody wrong song - BJ thomas
    the most beautiful girl in the world - charlie rich
    black and white - 3 dog night
    two divided by love - grass roots
    dont pull your love - hamilton joe frank + reynolds
    (we had a lot of 45s on abc-dunhill for some reason. i guess they were killin it on AM radio back then)
    cantina theme - star wars/john williams
    co-sign on the sha-na-na ish - 'get a job', and 'goodnight sweetheart', etc..

edit - lest i forget - peanuts theme (is it called linus and lucy? i forget) and "skating" (the ice skating music) - vince guraldi

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The first songs I liked were those tunes they sang on Sesame Street.

Captain and Tennille's - Love Will Keep Us Together however was the first album that I ever bought when it came out in 1975.

• 'Little Willy'-The Sweet

Holy shit.
    I was just thinking the earliest song I remember liking was Little Willy by Sweet, then not a second later I see your post.

That, Poppa Joe (also Sweet) and Ink Pot by Shocking Blue were all 45's my older sister used to play in the house when we were living in Holland back in '71 or '72. I was probably 3 years old.
    Sweet came into my life again a couple years later with Fox On The Run. Huge record for us kids.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

somebody done somebody wrong song - BJ thomas
    the most beautiful girl in the world - charlie rich

Both killer tunes of love lost...
    Another one I remember that still chokes me up
    to this day, Operator-Jim Croce...

Operator, well could you help me place this call?
    See, the number on the matchbook is old and faded
    She's living in L. A. with my best old ex-friend Ray
    A guy she said she knew well and sometimes hated

Isn't that the way they say it goes?
    Well, let's forget all that
    And give me the number if you can find it
    So I can call just to tell 'em I???m fine and to show
    I've overcome the blow, I???ve learned to take it well
    I only wish my words could just convince myself
    That it just wasn't real
    But that's not the way it feels

Operator, could you help me place this call?
    Well, I can't read the number that you just gave me
    There's something in my eyes, you know it happens every time
    I think about a love that I thought would save me

That it just wasn't real

Operator, let's forget about this call
    You see there's no one there I really wanted to talk to
    Thank you for your time, ah, you've been so much more than kind
    And you can keep the dime

That it just wasn't real

• Sesame Street Theme Song when I was like 2.5 or 3

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Wings - Greatest Hits and the Beatles - White Album are two records my mom used to put on from when I was an infant and up to my toddler years. All those songs seem real intimate and deep to me. (I was born in 1978)

• Rolling Stones - Citadel

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    "I just called to say I love you" by Stevie Wonder, I asked my mom to play it again and again (in hindsight, probably not his best work).

• i think the 1st records i really asked for and had to have as a kid were the SWAT tv show 45 and a chicago lp(had a ladder with paint all over maybe?). . clown on me all you want, i really liked that chicago lp

this was like 1976/1978ish?

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    jack and diane by john cougar

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    "Lovely Day" (Bill Withers). I remember me and my brothers trying to hold that long note ("Daaaaa.....aayyy!!!!") until we were hoarse. Whether that song was on or not. Drove mum mad.

There was another one called "Leave me alone" (a poppy one) that I don't know who did. Had some line in it about "Ruby Rednose"? [realheadz please to drop the K if you know this tune]

"Mississippi" Pussycat. Seemed to be on every night at the time we would be driving to see my very ill brother in hospital. This memory is genuinely choking me up now.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "Take Five"

and that electro song with that really famous keyboard melody.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Chuck Berry's 'Dear Dad' and 'My Dingaling' are two of the first songs that I remember liking.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Sesame Street Theme Song when I was like 2.5 or 3

• John Rowles' "Cheryl Moana Marie"

Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now"

These two songs are my first two musical memories, and my earliest musical memories as I was three or four. My family still lived in L.A., and my dad used to sing these two songs over and over. I often mention this, but when I was small and light enough to sit on a fish tank, he used to place me on it and sing to me with the record. I can't hear "Cheryl Moana Marie" without going back to that time. I knew of the song, and I believe Kapp was also one of the first labels I thought was cool looking.

With Johnny Nash, I remember my dad being the happiest when it reached the bridge, where he sings [i}look all around, there's nothing but blue sky/look straight ahead/nothing but blue sky[/i]. To me, as a kid, that meant he wanted a nice, blue sky. As I got older, I began to understand the actual meaning behind the song. By that time, my dad had died so I never got a chance to ask the significance of that song for him. When I had my website up, I used to have a blog of sorts (way before there was blogging) which covered my last two trips back home to Honolulu. In one of them, I thanked my dad for "bringing the blue sky while we were there" because before that there were heavy rainstorms, and after we left there were more. I said that unintentionally, not thinking of the song, but as I write this I think it had a lot to do with the bridge in the song, figuratively and literally.

What I remember about my dad is that he seemed to be looking for peace of mind. I never got a chance to ask him those things, or really get to know him in the manner that I wanted. But music moved him, he bought the records and sang the songs. My mom also offered a steady diet of music, and in fact both of them allowed me to listen to whatever.

But before it becomes storytime for me again, I take it back to those two records. Album wise, I would have to thank my uncle for introducing me to Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality and Led Zeppelin's Houses Of The Holy. In my dad's garage was a copy of Santana's Abraxas. That, Miles Davis' Live Evil, and at the age of 6, Ohio Players' Honey, would soon corrupt my young life. Naked tattoed woman on a conga? Woman kissing a pregnant woman's belly? A woman pouring honey all over herself? Man oh man oh man...

• i think the 1st records i really asked for and had to have as a kid were the SWAT tv show 45 and a chicago lp(had a ladder with paint all over maybe?). . clown on me all you want, i really liked that chicago lp

this was like 1976/1978ish?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Mum always sang The Seekers Morningtown Ride to get me to sleep so that would probably go down as my tune of choice for the cot.

First song I really remember dancing round the living room to was Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd. Angry kids shouting we don't need no education appealed to my juvenile brain.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    boogie woogie dancing shoes - claudja barry
    rapper's delight - sugarhill gang
    don't bring me down - elo
    goodbye stranger - supertramp
    the Grease soundtrack
    theme to Good Times
    theme to the Jeffersons
    theme to the Love Boat

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    sesame street theme song.
    some of you are bullshittin!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Johnny B Good was one of the first tracks I remember feeling.

Oldies were definately the first songs that grabbed me, and "Johnny B Good" was definately one of the top five. The other four would probably be "Rockin Robin", "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", "Yakety Yak", and "Twist and Shout".

Once I took the initiative to buy some oldies on tape and keep my ear glued to the radio, the next level was Michael Jackson, Shannon, Rockwell, and Weird Al.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    sesame street theme song.
    some of you are bullshittin!

why? it was one of my favourites, too. it was supposed to appeal to kids after all! and i associated it with the good feelings of my favourite show coming on.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Jack Scott "Goodbye Baby"

my god how I loved that song. still do really.

also...that Dutch version of the number song somebody just dropped here is