bestest Blues LP evar

13»

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

this one is highly recommended.. as is most from his catalogue during the 60s. bobby bland is one of my favorite blues singers, along with howlin wolf. his 70s stuff is pretty nice too, but not on the same level of rawness from what i have heard. I have a 45 of 'Ain't No Love In The Heart Of the City' though, and that is

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    anyone interested in downloading some gospel try this

http://www.dovesong.com/MP3/MP3_BlackGospel.asp

they have lots to listen to of all kinds of gospel. Early 40's to late 60's.

2 of my favorite 45's right now are
    Rev. Utah Smith -- two wings (there are at least 2 versions of this song....both killer)

and from
    Hollygrove Records website. Under Gospel, scroll down to "Whole Truth" and listen to " Can You Lose By Following God."

Thanks for this site. Holy crap.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    But here's the stupid part: The site has me on their kybosh list - I cannot download more than three songs per day. Do any of you have these in a .zip folder?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

SD-054 - Gospel's Queen - Gloria Griffin [6/71]
    I got this LP the other week & it has 2 or 3 real cool tracks, but the rest is pretty slow & blah, nice arrangements, but not real awesome. I also bought a Rev. Alex Bradford LP on Chess or Checker that needle dropped ok, but I haven't explored it any further yet. I love the blues, I don't know nearly as much about gospel though.

• SD-054 - Gospel's Queen - Gloria Griffin [6/71]
    I got this LP the other week & it has 2 or 3 real cool tracks, but the rest is pretty slow & blah, nice arrangements, but not real awesome. I also bought a Rev. Alex Bradford LP on Chess or Checker that needle dropped ok, but I haven't explored it any further yet. I love the blues, I don't know nearly as much about gospel though.

I think Alex Bradford's prime stuff was on Specialty, but...and I hate to admit it, BUT...the album I've heard by him on that label is merely ...not horrible, but not a desert-island disc either.

• this one is highly recommended.. as is most from his catalogue during the 60s. bobby bland is one of my favorite blues singers, along with howlin wolf. his 70s stuff is pretty nice too, but not on the same level of rawness from what i have heard. I have a 45 of 'Ain't No Love In The Heart Of the City' though, and that is

No, his 70's stuff isn't as raw, but then again, "raw" wasn't always the point with Bland. Even in the sixties, for every "Turn On Your Love Light," he'd have some crooning ballad like "If You Could Read My Mind." Bitter with the sweet.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    JP, ever hear the instrumental cover of BBB's Rockin' in the Same Old Boat by E.J.'s LTD. on BackBeat? Flip (A-Side) is Black Bull. Two good sides, despite the absense of the man himself.

• JP, ever hear the instrumental cover of BBB's Rockin' in the Same Old Boat by E.J.'s LTD. on BackBeat? Flip (A-Side) is Black Bull. Two good sides, despite the absense of the man himself.

Yep, I got that one. I think if you listen closely, just like with a lot of "instrumental versions" back then, you can hear the ghost of bobby's voice.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I was just helping clean out an older relative's garage and in among the pile of Kingston Trio and Herb Alpert LP's was a super clean original copy of this, which is an amazing record. Raw stuff. The only problem is it wash;t in the correct jacket, and that was nowhere to be found. Anyone ever see one kicking around?

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Willie Dixon - I Am The Blues

Check "Backdoor Man" off that LP.

#breaksyo

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    you guys added some great musicians. I could add...

-J.B. Lenoir

This guy is blowing me way lately.  Doesn't have the angry... raspy blues voice.... super suave... favorite blues singer right now hands down.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Taj Mahal baby!